Pod Your Reef

Small Scape Flaw

Okinawa_Reefer

Okinawa_Reefer

The other night I was playing with my pukani trying to get the scape that I wanted. I had traced the tank on some cardboard but wasn't paying much attention to the height because I thought I had a pretty good idea. Well, as you can see I was wrong. The right side sticks out of the top. So to fix the issue, I'm thinking about using a hack saw to cut the bottom of the rock which I was sort of planning on doing anyways to make sure that it's stable. My issue is, do I cut off enough to make it the same height as the left side or take it down lower. I do kind of like the offset look which is why I had originally designed the scape for the right side to be a bit higher. Let me know what you think! Excuse the lack of light. I was just testing these in there and the tank is full of vinegar to clean it and the rocks up a bit.

I can't for the life of me get the picture to post right side up

post-92754-0-55924800-1482197092_thumb.jpg

Definitely think about corals and growth.

Its good but maybe do more angling to offset the vertical pillars which will be limiting for coral placement

First off - I love pukani rock. It's my favorite by far because it's a good value, has excellent shapes, and I like the look of the large rocks, especially when they can be displayed individually. I have a basketball size version of the rock you have laying on it's side front left. I sawed a flat spot on the tapered end and I really like the look.

That being said it's a bit of a challenge to stack for the same reasons - the pieces are pretty large and there are so many textures with "grain" going all over the place.

What are your coral plans for this tank? Going only up makes it a bit difficult for coral placement. Watch some videos on aquascaping. There's actually some really good ones on BRS TV...

I ended up taking a hack saw and hammer/chisel to mine and it made a big difference. I kept a few of the "showpiece" rocks and then the "meh" rocks I broke up into smaller, more manageable pieces. You'll want some underwater cure epoxy putty on hand.

I like the idea of making the 2 rocks on the left your primary rocks and the rocks on the right might be considered the sacrificial rocks - possibly breaking them up a bit to create some tighter stacks. Take your time, I'm sure it will work out well.

Okinawa_Reefer

Thanks guys. I've actually already watched all of these videos lol! The rocks on the left side actually come forward quite a bit which I'll show you guys later on a top down photo. The corals will be mostly SPS with maybe a couple pieces of LPS. The vertical oukani pieces will allow me to have branching SPS corals which I like. And like I said, the rocks on the left have quite a bit of horizontal surface area. Can't wait to get further into it. I've got the rocks pulled from their vinegar bath and will begin sawing them flat on the bottoms and fine tune the rest of the scape. Oh, I guess I should also mention that my rocks are glued together now so the stability isn't an issue. Thanks again for everyone's input!

Archived