Innovative Marine Aquariums

The I Love Inverts Thread.

Sunstar

That gorilla crab is huge!

I love the pom pom. I have one and when its out its very entertaining. Mine comes out as soon as i feed but the one in my 10g is only out in the morning, then gone. Didn't see him for 2 weeks...thought he was a gonner

• 1 month later...

OK I want one when the time comes...these guys are really cute:

New species Candy Cane Hermit just identified near Bonaire:

ixzgqu.jpg

my mum showed me that, its gorgeous.

OH AB just moulted. compared to his wet carapace, he's grown half an inch wider.. he's a true monster!

• 2 weeks later...

"AB" my beloved Gorilla Crab

20161114_160204.jpg

Know how I said he got bigger from last moult. A LOT bigger. the previous pic is his previous moult.

20170213_194832.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Thunder Goose

Love me some inverts. My favorites may be my zebra leg hermits - much more active and entertaining than the red legged.

No, my favorites are the nassarius snails and the way they rise up out of the sandbed at feeding time!

No, my favorites are my sexy shrimp. I've attached a picture of one of my sexy shrimp riding a tiger (fighting) conch. Oh, yeah, the conch is really fun to watch, too.

Great thread! My tank is still relatively new but my invertebrate wish list keeps growing and threads like this are making me add new critters [makes furious notes about pom-pom crabs].

Oh, and don't tell The Husband, but I'm already thinking about a separate tank for a mantis shrimp. :D

Sexy shrimp and fighting conch feb 21 17.jpg

1 hour ago, Thunder Goose said:

Love me some inverts. My favorites may be my zebra leg hermits - much more active and entertaining than the red legged.

No, my favorites are the nassarius snails and the way they rise up out of the sandbed at feeding time!

No, my favorites are my sexy shrimp. I've attached a picture of one of my sexy shrimp riding a tiger (fighting) conch. Oh, yeah, the conch is really fun to watch, too.

Great thread! My tank is still relatively new but my invertebrate wish list keeps growing and threads like this are making me add new critters [makes furious notes about pom-pom crabs].

Oh, and don't tell The Husband, but I'm already thinking about a separate tank for a mantis shrimp. :D

Sexy shrimp and fighting conch feb 21 17.jpg

Inverts are so much cooler than fish!

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/02/2017 at 5:55 PM, WV Reefer said:

They have a lot of character.

On February 24, 2017 at 5:55 PM, WV Reefer said:

Agreed. Inverts are endlessly fascinating, from simple and tiny to massively complex, brainless to highly intelligent. I feel like the only person with an invert only reef and no desire to add fish. Except that... I'm dying for an Angler/Frogfish. They're the most peculiar and adorable little creatures! Would swallow my inverts whole though.

• 4 weeks later...

Sunstar, AB is awesome. I had a "pet" gorilla crab about ten years ago that came from some live rock I ordered from Tampa Bay Saltwater. He was the coolest critter and I'd love to have another some day. Mine was not shy at all and would tug-of-war with me when I'd offer food from a bamboo skewer. He was nowhere near the size of yours, though, and I eventually lost him during a molt.

Inverts are by far my favorite part of this hobby.

gone_PHiSHin

i love inverts too but all the cool, interesting ones are NEVER at my LFS.

I've been looking for a pom pom crab and a porcelain crab for a long time and still have never seen one at a LFS.  even liveaquaria never has pom poms in stock.  my IM10 needs a couple cool inverts!

1 hour ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i love inverts too but all the cool, interesting ones are NEVER at my LFS.

I've been looking for a pom pom crab and a porcelain crab for a long time and still have never seen one at a LFS.  even liveaquaria never has pom poms in stock.  my IM10 needs a couple cool inverts!

Try signing up for the email alerts from LA for when pom poms come in stock, I've bought pom poms twice from them over the years. :) Blue Zoo Aquatics (I think it's called) carries them but I have no experience with them.

I just had an experience with adding a pom pom to my other pom pom and discovering they are capable of crab-on-crab violence... :blink:

gone_PHiSHin

so i finally found a pom pom crab at one of my LFSs.  they have two of them, but neither of them have their pom poms!  

should i even bother getting one without their nems??  i know they often lose them in home aquaria but a big part of the fun is them having the nems, at least for a while anyway...

It's up to you.  They are still neat little critters but when pom-less they can swipe other things as substitute nems.  I had one once that carried a ric around for months till it was tiny, bleached and shrunken.  More recently, my pom pom swiped my superman shrooms and then dropped them (sans their centers <_<) after she lost her poms.  Personally I would hold out for one with poms, if you can--the LFS where I got one of my latest poms had pom-less crabs a few months ago and later got them back in stock with their pom poms.

gone_PHiSHin

yeah I'm pretty sure i'm going to hold off.  i won't be that upset if i get one and it loses his nems but i at least would like to start off with them 

do poms and anemone porcelain crabs get along?

graftobny142

I love my hermits and snails! They are so fun to watch. 

In my bc29:

1 scarlet hermit

2 blue leg hermit

2 astrea

3 cerith

So far everything is getting along. I need to add some more shells.

19 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

yeah I'm pretty sure i'm going to hold off.  i won't be that upset if i get one and it loses his nems but i at least would like to start off with them 

do poms and anemone porcelain crabs get along?

I have never kept them together but have heard that people do.

• 2 weeks later...
JavaJacketOC
On 2/13/2017 at 4:55 PM, Sunstar said:

Know how I said he got bigger from last moult. A LOT bigger. the previous pic is his previous moult.

20170213_194832.jpg

That's scary

Archived