Coral Vue Hydros

Rhodactis/Ricordea question!

Andy73

Hi, I have a few Rhodactis/Ricordeas in my tank and they continuously 'self frag'! Within the last six months one of them has split about 6 times, and the others have at least split 2 or 3 times each.

Now one of them is on the move, across the substrate, but it looks like only half wants to move as it is dividing itself (half on the rock, half on the sand)!

Just wondering is this normal behavior for Rhodactis/Ricordea?

Thanks

This is why I don't keep rhodactis shrooms. They tend to migrate and grow rapidly, and they also mildly sting other corals. I've seen them take over entire sections of larger tanks.

Purple shrooms and other varities like spotted or stripped tend to be better behaved and aren't as invasive.

This is why I don't keep rhodactis shrooms. They tend to migrate and grow rapidly, and they also mildly sting other corals. I've seen them take over entire sections of larger tanks.

Purple shrooms and other varities like spotted or stripped tend to be better behaved and aren't as invasive.

As is typical, this hobby is full of contradictions and results vary depending on the system...

I have a number of Rhodactis inchoata? morphs and they very rarely split. They just get bigger and bigger (up to 5" across).

Purple and Blue or Green Striped Discosoma mushrooms have been the most invasive/aggressive by far. I had to take drastic steps to eliminate them completely due to the damage they were doing to other coral.

What is known is that in general mushies that live in deeper water (less light, typically cooler water and less flow) tend to form small colonies (or even single polyps) which are large in diameter. Shallower locations tend to produce smaller polyps, but the colonies themselves are often large. It is thought that the deeper, larger individuals are responsible for sexual reproduction, while the smaller individuals reproduce by splitting and producing 'floaters' that colonize other locations.

I had the same experience as you Nano Sapiens. My green striped were the ones that multiplied and very rapidly.

My rics and rhodactis never did, they just got bigger

I might move some of them to a low light area of the tank to see if they change their habits and grow larger instead of splitting.

Might be interesting to see how they react!

Thanks for the responses

Archived