ReefCleaners.org

Nanobox Retro Kit..... No Fan?

basser1

There should be a stand alone fan. It rests on top of the heatsink in a slot that you cut out of the CFL reflector, It's not really "installed" on the heatsink per se. If it's not there, shoot Dave an email and I'm sure he'll get one out to you. Installed, it should look like this...

IMG_20160208_154400168_zpsx1jd6a9n.jpg

Yeah, mine is. I don't know if it's standard or not these days but I have mine rigged with fan control. If you have fan control, the fan should be wired to the SCW driver on the driverboard.

Since I don't have a fan, mine is not wired in to the control board......

Gerard,

You should have received a fan direct from the manufacture. I just got your email and am checking tracking now!

• 2 weeks later...

O.K., I got the fan, but where does the black/red wires go to connect it? Also, maybe a dumb question but does the label on the fan point down or up? Or does it make any difference?

On the 6up driver board, do you a driver labeled SCW? On the picture I attached, it's the driver all the way over to the left. If so, that's where it the wires should plug in to. Also, I believe the fan should blow downward to circulate air down and across the heatsink fins.

O.K., I got the fan, but where does the black/red wires go to connect it? Also, maybe a dumb question but does the label on the fan point down or up? Or does it make any difference?

You have an email in your inbox with photo. :)

-D

DaveFason, on 28 Dec 2016 - 5:55 PM, said:

You have an email in your inbox with photo. :)

-D

Thanks Dave I got it.

Another question..... Do the wires "plug" in the board or does it need to be soldered?

Thanks Dave I got it.

Another question..... Do the wires "plug" in the board or does it need to be soldered?

No solder, just a flat head screw driver to loosen the terminal, then slide them in and tighten back up!

Suavereefer32

I know Dave is helping me with this issue currently and I'm in love with the lights but I have been having issues with the fan noise. I felt like I installed the kit well and the hole in the reflector is defintely large enough. But I keep have this buzzing sound coming from the fan. Sometimes it's loud and sometimes it not.

Dave is sending a new fan which is greatly appreciated but I wanted to reach out and see if it make is user error? The is my first time installing the retro kit. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know. Thanks! And thanks again Dave!

I know Dave is helping me with this issue currently and I'm in love with the lights but I have been having issues with the fan noise. I felt like I installed the kit well and the hole in the reflector is defintely large enough. But I keep have this buzzing sound coming from the fan. Sometimes it's loud and sometimes it not.

Dave is sending a new fan which is greatly appreciated but I wanted to reach out and see if it make is user error? The is my first time installing the retro kit. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know. Thanks! And thanks again Dave!

Just an odd thing to happen with yours. Really nothing you could have done unless you hit something with it, danced on it or who knows what else. ;)

Suavereefer32

Just an odd thing to happen with yours. Really nothing you could have done unless you hit something with it, danced on it or who knows what else. ;)

Hahahaha the tutorial on how to install it didn't say I couldn't take it to batting practice, Dave.... C'mon now. Lol!

Actually the fan I got was also making a terrible noise too. I contacted the company and they are sending me a replacement, no charge.

It could be a bad batch?

That is really odd. Can you send me an email with a photo of the labeling of the fan. I would like to match it up.

Actually the fan I got was also making a terrible noise too. I contacted the company and they are sending me a replacement, no charge.

It could be a bad batch?

That is really odd. Can you send me an email with a photo of the labeling of the fan. I would like to match it up.

Dave, it's the same fan you sent the link to me. It's from digikey.

Well I got my replacement fan today. Since you don't really "mount" the fan, i.e. screws, etc. I'm, wondering if I could use a couple of drops of superglue in the corners to secure it to the heatsink?

Well I got my replacement fan today. Since you don't really "mount" the fan, i.e. screws, etc. I'm, wondering if I could use a couple of drops of superglue in the corners to secure it to the heatsink?

Just sent you an email.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Nanobox Retro Kit..... No Fan?

Archived