Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cleaning jebao wavemaker

Clown79

To disassemble you have to take the pump out of the bracket first. Just pull on one of the arms slightly and one side of the pump will pop out. Take care to not lose the little rubber bushings.

Once the bracket is removed you just twist the top and bottom halves and they will separate allowing you to clean it just as you would a koralia or similar. Note the location of any ceramic washers or and the top plastic bushing.

Alternatively just soak the whole thing in 50/50 water vinegar overnight and that should break up most of the build up. But if you're specifically wanting the clean the impeller shaft/housing then you'll need to take it apart.

Just a heads up as I managed to cut myself pretty deep taking these apart. Once you remove the rubber bushings, you will reveal two half circles that are separate but together they form a full circle on each side. When you twist the front (outflow) in order to get the impeller out, be careful not to have your fingers near the circles. The corners from the half circle are pretty sharp when trying to take them apart. Once it pops, your thumbs better be clear or else that corner can easily stab you.

On a side note, I would definitely recommend taking apart the Jebao about once a month or once every other month and just cleaning the impeller shaft and the impeller housing. There have been multiple times that I haven't and they start locking up. The ceramic shafts are pretty durable but you have to be very careful removing the jammed ones if they go too long without cleaning them.

To disassemble you have to take the pump out of the bracket first. Just pull on one of the arms slightly and one side of the pump will pop out. Take care to not lose the little rubber bushings.

Once the bracket is removed you just twist the top and bottom halves and they will separate allowing you to clean it just as you would a koralia or similar. Note the location of any ceramic washers or and the top plastic bushing.

Alternatively just soak the whole thing in 50/50 water vinegar overnight and that should break up most of the build up. But if you're specifically wanting the clean the impeller shaft/housing then you'll need to take it apart.

So I have the RW4 and the components are tiny, when I was cleaning some of the little rubber bushings tore and are damaged, anyone know where to go about getting new ones?

So I have the RW4 and the components are tiny, when I was cleaning some of the little rubber bushings tore and are damaged, anyone know where to go about getting new ones?

Yeah I'm sorry to say but Jebao customer care is pretty much non-existent. They don't really do anything other than provide a bit of friction so that the pump stays pointed where it needs to - and maybe some vibration dampening.

I would just try to put it back in place as carefully as possible, even if it's torn. If you absolutely can't get it in you might have to fabricate an alternate solution - I'm thinking a small strip cut from a bicycle inner tube that you could wrap around the little nub.

• 5 years later...

I have a HiDOM 120 wave maker, in use 2 months.

it has just stopped working.

it is extremely clean and not been misused.

Any ideas , it gets hot when switched on, but does nothing!

Help please?

2 hours ago, Saltysue said:

I have a HiDOM 120 wave maker, in use 2 months.

it has just stopped working.

it is extremely clean and not been misused.

Any ideas , it gets hot when switched on, but does nothing!

Help please?

Ihese impeller magnets get stuck.  Happens with powerheads HOB filter,s in FW, SW.  Doesn't really matter.  

Sometimes it's just a matter of nudging the impeller when it's plugged in to get it started.  

Not familiar with HI-DOM but you can usually take apart by twisting cage in the center to reach impeller.  Look to see if there's an area to grip in center.  See if you can twist it apart.  Can sometimes need a firm twist.  

Other times it needs an opening and deep clean which involves opening housing to pull out magnetic impeller and clean.  new / clean Toothbrush, Q tip in the magnetic hole, scrape off with your fingernail anything crusty that may be keeping impeller from spinning.  

I usually clean mine in water from water change and give it a good swirl before re-assembling.  Got to make sure all the parts are lined up when re-assembling. 

Here's a " generic "rough example for deep clean.  I'd ignore the butter knife in approach.

Even if the pump looks clean if a grain of sand gets down in the hole for the impeller it will jam.  Rinsing and cleaning the hole with a Q tip usually is all it needs.

After cleaning a pump and reassembling I manually spin the impeller using a pair of long tweezers or anything that fits between the grates several times and that usually does the trick.

• Like 1