Top Shelf Aquatics

burtbollinger's Red Sea Reefer 170 (converted to planted)

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

added green stylo to top left...may fill in some spaces on the left side with additional rasta zoas, additional acans.  

still plan to add a gold branching hammer  (if I can find) to the left side glass via a magnet.

many of the acan colonies have 6+ baby heads filling in around the 2-3 large main heads, so that's nice...might replace or shuffle them to the sides, and get some slightly larger, cool colonies for the sandbed.  Most likely, i move the blasto, and replace with a single large ultra acan colony I'll get at the next frag swap.  

Other than that, I'm DONE.  (plan to start a planted 20g Nature Aquarium in late 2018, early 2019)  Just letting the tank grow out...consider it finished as a project.  I'd like to pretend everything doubles or triples in size :)

The WWC chalices are growing, but slowly...I've heeded advice to feed heavier.   Nitrates are under 7 (Elos test kit)...No clue on Phosphates.  Alk. steady at 8.5-8.9 using ESV 2-part....@7.5 ML every other day.

7.5 gallon weekly water changes continue with Fritz Pro...have yet to miss one.  Running skimmer, Spyglass Reactor with small amount of ROX changed every 2-3 weeks.

Dosing Aquavitro Fuel 2x per week...LRS Reef Frenzy Nano + Rod's Food daily.

Adding a 24" Nanobox Beam to the back to supplement lighting...hopefully later this week.

Apologies for the bad color, its kinda sorta exaggerated here due to app...at least it pops ;)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
burtbollinger
2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Beam inbound. 

Tank looks great. The chalices will take off once they settle. Just wait! It can take 2-3 months. 

-Dave

Dave...any advice on the Nanobox Beam addition to the back?  WIll the increase in PAR be something I need to be wary of?  Was thinking I'd run it during my peak lighting times....from about 3:30-8 PM daily on a timer....is this enough to do anything positive?  Just looking to suppliment my few SPS, give them some extra lighting on the back side.

On 05/03/2018 at 10:09 PM, burtbollinger said:

added green stylo to top left...may fill in some spaces on the left side with additional rasta zoas, additional acans.  

might also add a gold branching hammer  (if I can find) to the left side glass via a magnet.

many of the acan colonies have 6+ baby heads filling in around the 2-3 large main heads, so that's nice...

Other than that, just letting the tank grow out...ideally everything starts filling in nicely by the end of this year.    I'd like to pretend everything doubles or triples in size :)

The WWC chalices are growing, but slowly...I've heeded advice to feed heavier.   Nitrates are under 7 (Elos test kit)...No clue on Phosphates.  Alk. steady at 8.5-8.9 using ESV 2-part....@7.5 ML every other day.

7.5 gallon weekly water changes continue with Fritz Pro...have yet to miss one.  Running skimmer, Spyglass Reactor with small amount of ROX changed every 2-3 weeks.

Adding a 24" Nanobox Beam to the back to supplement lighting...hopefully later this week.

Apologies for the bad color...at least it pops ;)

Gorgeous tank.

I personally love the colour of the tank. Everything really pop's!

On 3/5/2018 at 10:09 PM, burtbollinger said:

might also add a gold branching hammer  (if I can find) to the left side glass via a magnet.

many of the acan colonies have 6+ baby heads filling in around the 2-3 large main heads, so that's nice...

Other than that, just letting the tank grow out...ideally everything starts filling in nicely by the end of this year.    I'd like to pretend everything doubles or triples in size :)

Tank looks amazing! And when it all fills in...whoa!! Nice job. 

mitten_reef

Love the spacing and placements of corals in this tank - very thoughtful and restrained. They’ll grow in in no time. 

21 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

Dave...any advice on the Nanobox Beam addition to the back?  WIll the increase in PAR be something I need to be wary of?  Was thinking I'd run it during my peak lighting times....from about 3:30-8 PM daily on a timer....is this enough to do anything positive?  Just looking to suppliment my few SPS, give them some extra lighting on the back side.

That should be plenty. 3-5 hours and watch closely. I would also suggest watching your parameters. 

burtbollinger
44 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

That should be plenty. 3-5 hours and watch closely. I would also suggest watching your parameters. 

my thought was start at one hour per day and work up...to a total of about 3-4 hours.

as far as parameters, do you mean watch for an uptick in CA/ALk consumption?

burtbollinger
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

Love the spacing and placements of corals in this tank - very thoughtful and restrained. They’ll grow in in no time. 

thank you!  I really like tanks I see that have BIG corals vs. a ton of small ones....where you can tell they either bought giant colonies to begin with or let it grow in...thats what I am hoping happens here...especially on the right side where the chalices are.    

• Like 1
squamptonbc

Looks good. I was trying to reef my reefer but I like coral eating fish too much....lol

I really like the colors of your tank.

• 2 weeks later...
burtbollinger
4 hours ago, Okinawa_Reefer said:

Your coral selection is absolutely amazing. The colors and placement compliments them all very nicely. Gorgeous

Thank you....been a bit stressful today...having issue with one of the chalices fading.  Have been adding KZ Coral Snow and I think the additional clarity might be the issue :(   No other changes have occurred to the tank....I’ve dropped the Nanobox white settings down to 18 from 22 and hoping to see a recovery.  Anyone heard of carbon (coral snow behaving like carbon) clarifying the water to sudden detrimental effect?  I think I’ve heard of this before...

The tank looks great! 

I saw your post about the faded chalice and was hoping to find an answer because I'm seeing the same thing in my cookie jar. I've never had luck with chalices long term. The only thing I can suggest is it got too much light. Many chalices are like acans, and only get good colors in relatively low light. 

• Like 1
burtbollinger

I’m monitoring very closely....structurally the chalice is expanded, etc...just faded.  A dude I trust who is a customer at my LFS said that the watermelon type chalices like the Bubblegum Monster can be very sensitive and I probaky light shocked it with a combo of the Rox carbon and Coral Snow.  Good reminder to not fix what ain’t broken...very dumb on my part.

All other corals doing very well...will update if it decides to color back up.

• Like 2
burtbollinger
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Good luck! When I've messed mine up they've taken at least three or four months to recover, so be patient :)

Keep it where it has been right?  Let it bounce back on its own... No need to move to shade?  Some of the chalice is still the proper green color...

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

Keep it where it has been right?  Let it bounce back on its own... No need to move to shade?  Some of the chalice is still the proper green color...

I think if it was doing well there before, then just leave it. 

• Like 2

It seems that it has been happy in its current place. Dropping the light only 5% on the white channel wont do much as it MAY drop the par 1-2%. 

I have been running zero to no carbon for the past few months. Only adding it when my tank smells fishy! :P 

Also make sure nothing is stinging it. Let it chill for a bit. 

-D

• Like 1
burtbollinger
2 hours ago, tanacharison said:

I love your acans.. They look so good in the video!

Thanks.  Sometimes I get paranoid lately about keeping them healthy but so far so good.  Thankfully most of them came from the 30 dollar bin at the LFS...only the yellow centered ones were expensive.  Too scared to throw down big bucks on acans :)

HarryPotter

still plan to add a gold branching hammer  (if I can find) to the left side glass via a magnet.

many of the acan colonies have 6+ baby heads filling in around the 2-3 large main heads, so that's nice...might replace or shuffle them to the sides, and get some slightly larger, cool colonies for the sandbed.  Most likely, i move the blasto, and replace with a single large ultra acan colony I'll get at the next frag swap.  

Other than that, I'm DONE.  (plan to start a planted 20g Nature Aquarium in late 2018, early 2019)  Just letting the tank grow out...consider it finished as a project.  I'd like to pretend everything doubles or triples in size :)

Apologies for the bad color, its kinda sorta exaggerated here due to app...at least it pops ;)

Thats RFA on the right is exquisite! 

• Like 1
burtbollinger

Had planned to do one more next to it ...pink with red rim....but that one has gotten disturbingly large.  Ran out of room pretty fast.  

• burtbollinger changed the title to burtbollinger's Red Sea Reefer 170 (converted to planted)