Innovative Marine Aquariums

New Red Sea World for Squishy

SquishyFishy

1 hour ago, SquishyFishy said:

Thanks I appreciate that!  Tank looks pristine without the sand although I do see some Dinoflagellates popping back up on some of the cleaner rocks.  The Dinox is coming in 2 days so we'll see if it works.  I've decided that when its time, I'm going to repopulate with the green star polyps I love, so much great color, easy to keep and let it cover the rocks.  I will also replace my nems...but that's it...no more corals after that.  Softies are so easy to take care of and can take so much abuse.  Gonna try to seed the tank with Coralline so it will start growing on the glass bottom.

I'm glad things are turning around.   ?

Nature is a bitch to try and tame.  

SquishyFishy

Received my DinoX and started treatment...those d-mn Dinos have returned but now just on my rock...a little on the sand remnants, but I can suck that out.  I plan on buying an MP10 soon because I think the extra current will help blow them to h--l!  My little Koralias just won't cut it with the bigger tank.  Some things are back to looking pretty good, the chalice and leather toadstool are doing nicely, but others....I have lost 5 trunks of my torch, only 2 left, due to the radical cleaning I gave them.  Mushrooms are still pissy and not opening fully, rics are really keeping compact, oh for the days when they were plump and gorgeous. And all the GSP is practically gone...flesh still there but no polyps open at all.... Patience patience!

I am getting used to the bare bottom sparseness of the tank floor and now I really like the sleek and clean look of it.  Especially like the absence of all the d-mn red Dino strings! Been doing a lot of reading.  I thought the Dinos were due to phosphate but I bought a Hannah checker and my phosphate is 0.07, which from one article I read is exactly what ocean water has.  Some say 0.03 but this one said 0.07.  I had a little ammonia right after the radical cleaning, but it's settled down with my Macrobacter7 therapy also.  Todd is installing my new dosing pump today for the Kalkwasser so my chasing ph days are over and hopefully this will raise that to unacceptable levels for nuisance bacteria.  I am almost certain the Dinos showed up in the Aragolite live sand, because the proliferation started in this new tank after I added that.

So I should just give it time and keep my WC on schedule.

• Like 1

Really wishing you luck. 

I know it can be so discouraging when you have stuff like this happen, I've been there. 

Sounds like you're taking good steps to straighten things out. 

Might not hurt to give it a little time after all your doing to stabilize it before adding new Corals, just let yourself relax with it. 

Are you already all stocked up on fish, or can you add 1 or 2 more?

Maybe adding a fun fish could distract you in a positive way from trying to build the "perfect Reef Environment" until everything has a chance to stabilize. 

SquishyFishy

Yes no more coral except maybe the green star polyps.  I've got a 70 gal. tank and 5 fish, 1 a hepa tang.  So probably no more fish.  Got some snails and a couple of hermits, that's it.  I'm ordering some dragon's breath micro algae which I've used before when I first started 3 years ago, brightens the tank with color and helps with nutrient export.  I like that.  Trying not to do too much.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, SquishyFishy said:

Yes no more coral except maybe the green star polyps.  I've got a 70 gal. tank and 5 fish, 1 a hepa tang.  So probably no more fish.  Got some snails and a couple of hermits, that's it.  I'm ordering some dragon's breath micro algae which I've used before when I first started 3 years ago, brightens the tank with color and helps with nutrient export.  I like that.  Trying not to do too much.

Live-plants.com is a GREAT place to order Macros from and they have a really good selection of Red Macros available right now, including what you're looking for.

SquishyFishy

I've got it dripping the lime water for 30 minutes which should give the tank about 30ml of calcium a day.  We'll see how it goes with that dosage.  But this was supposed to help my battle with Dinos by giving them an unacceptable ph, along with removing the sand bed, and now they are back all over the rocks.  I took everything out and scrubbed the rocks and tank and nearly killed all my mushrooms and other corals doing it in an effort to kill the Dinos.  I am using DinoX also, but so far (2 doses) nothing is helping...I am about at my wits end!

35 minutes ago, SquishyFishy said:

I've got it dripping the lime water for 30 minutes which should give the tank about 30ml of calcium a day.  We'll see how it goes with that dosage.  But this was supposed to help my battle with Dinos by giving them an unacceptable ph, along with removing the sand bed, and now they are back all over the rocks.  I took everything out and scrubbed the rocks and tank and nearly killed all my mushrooms and other corals doing it in an effort to kill the Dinos.  I am using DinoX also, but so far (2 doses) nothing is helping...I am about at my wits end!

I think you should post a thread in General Forums asking for help with Dinos, I think you'll get more info and better help, and I want you to succeed with this battle!!!

It CAN be done, others have done it!!

• 2 weeks later...
SquishyFishy

Thx Weetabix, but we came home from our cruise Sunday to a pleasant surprise.

After a 6 day blackout and treatment with DinoX, they are mostly eradicated...but all the coral are really ticked!  Guess it was mostly the light absence that did that.  But they are slowly opening.  I can see trace of the Dinos but this is amazing stuff.  No long strings of purple red stuff on my rocks that pop up within 24 hrs.  I know there are seeds of it though somewhere in my system so will watch diligently.

I feel I've done everything I should, adding a kalk drip on pump and Hanna testing for PO3/4.  The only things I need are a better pump MP40, and another Hanna checker for ph/calc

The tank looks so bare now, it's pathetic, but with time it may come back to what is was...patience....patience.

• Like 1
Weetabix7
15 minutes ago, SquishyFishy said:

Thx Weetabix, but we came home from our cruise Sunday to a pleasant surprise.

After a 6 day blackout and treatment with DinoX, they are mostly eradicated...but all the coral are really ticked!  Guess it was mostly the light absence that did that.  But they are slowly opening.  I can see trace of the Dinos but this is amazing stuff.  No long strings of purple red stuff on my rocks that pop up within 24 hrs.  I know there are seeds of it though somewhere in my system so will watch diligently.

I feel I've done everything I should, adding a kalk drip on pump and Hanna testing for PO3/4.  The only things I need are a better pump MP40, and another Hanna checker for ph/calc

The tank looks so bare now, it's pathetic, but with time it may come back to what is was...patience....patience.

You can do eet!!!

SquishyFishy

Just wanna say, there are chemicals and there are chemicals...but I can't praise DinoX enough for getting rid of this shlt!  And even other nuisance algae.

I haven't had to clean the glass for 2 weeks, the tank/water is pristine.  

I have been dosing Red Sea's kh Coralline Gro and they do know their stuff!  Here is a pic of the purple and green coralline starting to grow on my bottom glass after only 3 treatments!  It is on the rock also!  It might not look the right color with my Nikon and flash mode, but I assure you it is not the other crap again.  It's distinctly purple, no bubbles, no strings.  I had some coralline on snail shells and a little bit on rock but this is phenomenal.  I have been trying other Coralline concoctions for years to try to get it to grow well and this is the first time I have seen results like this.  And maybe the kalk drip is also partly responsible.  Eureka! 2iqc2hj.jpg

• Like 2
Weetabix7
1 minute ago, SquishyFishy said:

Just wanna say, there are chemicals and there are chemicals...but I can't praise DinoX enough for getting rid of this shlt!  And even other nuisance algae.

I haven't had to clean the glass for 2 weeks, the tank/water is pristine.  

I have been dosing Red Sea's kh Coralline Gro and they do know their stuff!  Here is a pic of the purple and green coralline starting to grow on my bottom glass after only 3 treatments!  It is on the rock also!  It might not look the right color with my Nikon and flash mode, but I assure you it is not the other crap again.  It's distinctly purple, no bubbles, no strings.  I had some coralline on snail shells and a little bit on rock but this is phenomenal.  I have been trying other Coralline concoctions for years to try to get it to grow well and this is the first time I have seen results like this.  And maybe the kalk drip is also partly responsible.  Eureka! 2iqc2hj.jpg

Excellent!!!!

Here's hoping this is just the beginning of a Positive Reefing Streak for you!!!

SquishyFishy

The palys are now opening, yay, everything is coming around so I think the tank is at the hump in terms of new tank syndrome.  In a couple months (tank will be 6 months old, all the rocks will be 3 yrs old and most fish a year old.)  Tank is stabilizing...I will start searching for my new anemone.  I will be willing to spend the big bucks on this baby I want a rainbow bubble tip.  I will also add a fish to the mix soon...still trying to decide which one, I need red, orange or yellow.  Maybe just a new clown.  Remember I had to ditch the 2 mature clowns who were attacking my new tang unmercifully...damn damsels!  But a baby would work.  I really don't want a wrasse especially with no sand.  And that lets out any sand dwellers like blennies etc.  I want something really flashy, maybe a baby fox face.

The Dinos are still trying to make a come back, but they keep to a couple of rocks and I brush daily and retreat with the DinoX and alternate with Vibrant.  And they seem to be under control especially with no more sand!  I know they will be a constant threat though.  Diligence!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SquishyFishy said:

The palys are now opening, yay, everything is coming around so I think the tank is at the hump in terms of new tank syndrome.  In a couple months (tank will be 6 months old, all the rocks will be 3 yrs old and most fish a year old.)  Tank is stabilizing...I will start searching for my new anemone.  I will be willing to spend the big bucks on this baby I want a rainbow bubble tip.  I will also add a fish to the mix soon...still trying to decide which one, I need red, orange or yellow.  Maybe just a new clown.  Remember I had to ditch the 2 mature clowns who were attacking my new tang unmercifully...damn damsels!  But a baby would work.  I really don't want a wrasse especially with no sand.  And that lets out any sand dwellers like blennies etc.  I want something really flashy, maybe a baby fox face.

What wonderful news!!!

I hope you find a Super Sexy Anemone and really pretty baby Clown. 

SquishyFishy

OMG this stuff is horrific.  Here it comes again!  Got to retreat every week to keep it at bay and scrub with brush to loosen.

How DO you guys keep this stuff down????  Its all over my rock again!  The skunk shrimp and all his body parts have totally disappeared!.

SquishyFishy

I hate this damned Red Sea Tank, I hate this red Dino crap and I am quickly getting to hate the whole hobby!  Had my water tested at the lfs and it's almost perfect, just a tad off ph/alk, and it's still killing all my coral, most of my inverts and enough fish.  The challace doesn't have a single polyp on it, nothing more than a chunk of calcium.  The neon green leather refuses to stick more than a few polyps out.  The once huge mushrooms are shrunken to almost nubs, the gorgeous bubble mushroom is dying a slow death and I can only remember my beautiful RBTAs.  How can one kill green star polyps when others complain that it takes over their tanks.

I don't understand how I could have kept a gorgeous mixed reed tank for 3 years and suddenly after changing to what I thought was the best tank in the industry , I can't even keep GSP.  I've spent hundreds of dollars to get the equipment recommended to be successful in this hobby, worked and cleaned and treated...all for naught.  I hate that I come on here and whine about it, but it's absolutely the most discouraging, depressing thing I've ever attempted.

And If I took it down tomorrow, I'd be losing $3000+ that my wonderful hubby spent to make me happy.  No way you can successfully sell a system and get anywhere near what its worth.

Sorry...............but I am at my wits end.

Squishy,

My heart was so saddened after reading your latest post. I've been following you for 2 years now, back when I started my tank. I have always loved your approach to reefing. When you got this new tank I was so excited for you and a bit jealous too. ;-) Today I've been searching how to make a frag rack using plastic egg crate. I also searched to see if there were any detriments in using this plastic in our tanks. Seems like there could be problems with it leaching silica. There were some coincidences between cyano and snot algae and the egg crate, nothing definitive though. Black egg crate seemed to be preferred to the white. Others suggested painting the white with Krylon Fusion. Not sure how safe that is either. Anyway, I immediately thought of you and the issues that you've been having. I don't know if you have any egg crate in the tank, but if you do you may want to read up about it. Here's a link to the post, https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/186060-eggcrate-causes-snot-algae-unless-you-paint-with/ 

Hope the link works, I am so not forum/computer savvy. Please don't give up. Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way. 

On 5/20/2017 at 6:08 PM, SquishyFishy said:

I hate this damned Red Sea Tank, I hate this red Dino crap and I am quickly getting to hate the whole hobby!  Had my water tested at the lfs and it's almost perfect, just a tad off ph/alk, and it's still killing all my coral, most of my inverts and enough fish.  The challace doesn't have a single polyp on it, nothing more than a chunk of calcium.  The neon green leather refuses to stick more than a few polyps out.  The once huge mushrooms are shrunken to almost nubs, the gorgeous bubble mushroom is dying a slow death and I can only remember my beautiful RBTAs.  How can one kill green star polyps when others complain that it takes over their tanks.

I don't understand how I could have kept a gorgeous mixed reed tank for 3 years and suddenly after changing to what I thought was the best tank in the industry , I can't even keep GSP.  I've spent hundreds of dollars to get the equipment recommended to be successful in this hobby, worked and cleaned and treated...all for naught.  I hate that I come on here and whine about it, but it's absolutely the most discouraging, depressing thing I've ever attempted.

And If I took it down tomorrow, I'd be losing $3000+ that my wonderful hubby spent to make me happy.  No way you can successfully sell a system and get anywhere near what its worth.

I have been where you are, I really have, and I remember exactly how it felt. 

I'm a little distracted at the moment, but I want to see if I can help you problem-solve sometime today. <3

Please don't give up, the rewards are worth the fight.  I've been very happy with my Reefer, so I can't imagine what's going on with that tank that could be causing issues...  We may not all be experts but we're definitely all here to help and encourage!  Keep up the good fight!

On 5/20/2017 at 6:08 PM, SquishyFishy said:

I am reading through your thread and making notes and I do have some thoughts, but first I wanted to ask you..... have you ever tested freshly made water still in the bucket? I remember reading about one guy who had all kinds of problems and he couldn't figure out what it was, but he found ammonia when he tested fresh water still in bucket. He deduced that it was from a mold release agent in the plastic of the bucket. 

• Like 1

Ok, more thoughts. 

Really tired at the moment so I may forget some stuff, but wanted to give you what I could. 

First though, I was thinking, how would you feel about selling off all your corals and going FOWLR for a little while? 

From reading your posts, it seems like seeing the corals decline and dealing with the cyano are the things that have stressed you out the most. 

Selling the corals would take one of those things out of the picture, and you could take your time at correcting the imbalances that have led to the cyano/dinos. 

It would allow you to still keep the tank running and enjoy fish, which I think would make your husband happy. It would also keep your options open while at the same time take a lot of pressure off of you, I think. 

Just a thought to consider....

Ok, so, as I mentioned earlier, cyano/dinos are usually caused by an imbalance. 

You mentioned having dealt with cyano in your tank before this one, so there was already at least some imbalance in your biofilter, and you moved the rock over from that tank to this one. 

It's possible that with the aged sand in that tank, there was enough in the biofilter to still keep the corals and anemones happy. 

When you moved just the rock over and started with new sand, you had less biofilter and it may have just started a cascade that got out of control. 

You were right to want to go back to floss, that would be better. Sponges have a reputation for being nutrient sinks. 

Do you know what your nitrate level is?

That's all I got for the moment, but it's a starting place. 

SquishyFishy

Thx all of you for your concern.  First Minidoll, no eggcrate at all.

Moos: thx for your comments too.  Could you tell me what you do with sponges?  What is your filtration?  My skimmer is excellent I love it.

Weetabix:  Buy all the water in food safe containers from my local lfs.  Have tested it and it is always perfect.  Tank has no measurable nitrate/nitrite and no ammonia at all.  Recently bought new Hanna checkers for Phosphate and ph/alk.  These have all checked out within limits, in fact perfect.  I am totally anal about all the params.  Yes, I have worried about the sponges, but my lfs has had all his Red Sea tanks using the sponges and has never even cleaned them for several years, he says.  He says I need them for the biofiltering, good bacteria etc.   He has had outbreaks of gha and Dino from time to time, but has successfully gotten rid of it.

I won't need to sell the darn coral as it will soon be all dead anyways!  The fish are fat and happy and yes, I've thought I'd just let it go and see what happens.  I am still dosing the DinoX and doing blackouts to see if I can control it.  But you know what happens to the already stressed corals.  This has happened to friends of mine.  Their huge 250 gal. tank is nothing but dead live rock and fish, they gave up on any corals.  But they are nowhere near as knowledgeable or anal about things as I am...So I know it happens often, but its heart breaking when you look back at photos of the old tank.  I deliberately bought new live sand for this tank to try to clean everything of the Dino/cyano in the old tank.   And I have added Macrobacter7 for new bacteria many times.  For right now, I'm just trying to chill about it and let it do it's thing.  Some on here have suggested that it will run its course so I guess that is what I'm doing.  I've ordered some new sexies from the lfs just to make me feel better, The originals all took a hit too.

Trying not to continue to stress about it and resign myself to the "its part of the process" philosophy.  It may be a while until I post again, but don't give up...I'll let you know what happens.

SquishyFishy

Weetabix....just reading over your tank thread and I've been considering adding some plants to see if they can help.  I used to grow Red Dragon, but I did away with it, don't remember why, it grew super fast.  I think I'll ask the lfs guy for some of that and some others and just add them behind the rock, it will help the tank to look better at least, and what can it hurt anyway?