SaltCritters.com

aptasia

rock12

ok i can't get a pic of this one, cuz it hide when i try and move the rock to see it! Anywas its definaltly some type of anemone! It's not realy small though and is wedged into a hole in one of my rocks! Its clear and has LONG sweeper tenticals! If it isn't a pest then i'm thinking about leaving it where it is because it seems to be doing good, and is in a area where it can't realy be seen and can't harm future corals! I also have another one, but this one is different. it looks like a doughnut! Its got small stubby tenticals and has round tips that are a shade darker. Anyone know if these are aptasia? If they are is there any crab,shrimp,fish that will remove it? I'm planning on leaving them in there if the is untill my new cycle is done, but i want to have some critters in my tank that prevent aptasia from coming in my tank once the cycle is over. So if you know what these are that would be a huge help! Thank you so much!

if it's clear with sweeper tenticles then I'd say aiptasia... the other one sounds like maybe a ric or a small anenome of some type, so only kill the first one :D :D

peppermint shrimp will eat aiptasia (some times), but if you've only got one or two then maybe you could just superglue them to death...

-skeletor-

I would not add an animal to deal with your aiptasia. Superglue, kalk paste, etc., will clear up the problem and not add bioload and potential conflicts down the line.

The second description sounds like mejano to me. It can be another pest.

if you can, take the rock out, try and dry it off a little where the aiptasia are and cover them with superglue. never tried doing it underwater, but it might work. try using the gel, or the 2-part underwater putty stuff will also work.

other methods include hot water (to hard to get the water hot enough), kalk paste (messy) or 'joe's juice' is supposed to work well.

you'll want to get onto the larger ones quickly as they will spawn a gazillion babies before to long.

-skeletor-

Archived