inTank Media Baskets

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123
5 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Maybe this?

I haven't used it myself, but a knowledgeable friend recommended it to me when I was worried about a Jebao pp-4 being too strong. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS8782D/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A7SIQ2Y2T11UM

Ah nice!   I'll keep that on my radar.   I might need to get two.  One fore each of my nano's.

• 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

So I've been running the Tunze Nano ATO on my IM NUVO 10 since February.   Haven't had any issues with the unit until recently.   As of the past few days I have to unplug the unit and plug it back in to get it to pump water into the tank.   Last night when I arrived home from work, the tank was full of micro bubbles, and upon further investigation the third chamber was nearly empty.   I pulled the float, checked that there was nothing keeping it from moving up and down, did a quick rinse on it and placed it back into the chamber.   This morning I checked it again before heading to work by moving the magnet/float up to trigger the pump and got nothing.  

So my question is to those that have this ATO, have you run into the same issues?   If so how did you alleviate this problem?

If I go about replacing this ATO I might go the Smart Micro ATO. 

11 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

So I've been running the Tunze Nano ATO on my IM NUVO 10 since February.   Haven't had any issues with the unit until recently.   As of the past few days I have to unplug the unit and plug it back in to get it to pump water into the tank.   Last night when I arrived home from work, the tank was full of micro bubbles, and upon further investigation the third chamber was nearly empty.   I pulled the float, checked that there was nothing keeping it from moving up and down, did a quick rinse on it and placed it back into the chamber.   This morning I checked it again before heading to work by moving the magnet/float up to trigger the pump and got nothing.  

So my question is to those that have this ATO, have you run into the same issues?   If so how did you alleviate this problem?

If I go about replacing this ATO I might go the Smart Micro ATO. 

This worries me a bit since it's the same ATO I got to put on my new 40B build, tho I haven't set it up yet. 

@calvin, what did you end up doing with yours to get it going?

He also has a new one that didn't work when he went on vacation. 

gone_PHiSHin

i have the same ATO on my IM10 and in my opinion it is a piece of crap.

i have had many problems with mine in the 6-7 months i've had it.  just last weekend i woke up to my tank being completely full to the brim, my ATO reservoir completely empty, the float valve underwater, and the pump still trying to pump water in.  the float valve was not stuck either, when i pulled it out, it moved freely.  

i still have no idea what happened. luckily i caught it just in time, as water just barely overflowed, causing a minor clean up, but a major freak out.  not exactly what you want to see when you wake up.  if i had woken up any later, or if there was more water in the reservoir and my place would have water everywhere and my electronics could have been damaged.  

my salinity was 1.016!  so, for the last week i have been slowly getting my salinity back to .026 and hoping for the best.  a few of my corals acted strange for a day or two but i haven't seen any major repercussions as a result.  it was the first major problem i've had since i set up this tank and man was i worried.

aside from that incident, i've had the pump do the same thing as you OP.  i unplugged and plugged back in and it works.  i've also had to 'prime' the water line by sucking on the end of it to get the water up the line before the pump would actually pump water once the float triggered it to do so.

that all being said, i've read numerous accounts of people using this ATO without problems which is why i chose it in the first place.  however, it's been unplugged since last weekend and i'm about to throw the thing in the trash after that near catastrophe.

SURVEYMAN46123
13 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i have had many problems with mine in the 6-7 months i've had it.  just last weekend i woke up to my tank being completely full to the brim, my ATO reservoir completely empty, the float valve underwater, and the pump still trying to pump water in.  the float valve was not stuck either, when i pulled it out, it moved freely.  

i still have no idea what happened. luckily i caught it just in time, as water just barely overflowed, causing a minor clean up, but a major freak out.  not exactly what you want to see when you wake up.  if i had woken up any later, or if there was more water in the reservoir and my place would have water everywhere and my electronics could have been damaged.  

my salinity was 1.016!  so, for the last week i have been slowly getting my salinity back to .026 and hoping for the best.  a few of my corals acted strange for a day or two but i haven't seen any major repercussions as a result.  it was the first major problem i've had since i set up this tank and man was i worried.

aside from that incident, i've had the pump do the same thing as you OP.  i unplugged and plugged back in and it works.  i've also had to 'prime' the water line by sucking on the end of it to get the water up the line before the pump would actually pump water once the float triggered it to do so.

that all being said, i've read numerous accounts of people using this ATO without problems which is why i chose it in the first place.  however, it's been unplugged since last weekend and i'm about to throw the thing in the trash after that near catastrophe.

Yea I purchased it because of the reviews I read.   I think I might go a different route as well.   :/

1 hour ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

Well dang. :unsure:

I have the tunze nano in my 10g and other than problems with it being stuck on when snails jam it up, it has always worked fine. But I really don't like the poor overflow protection that's timer-based because the flow is way too fast for the timer to be of any use in a small nano or pico tank.

I have the Smart ATO Micro in my 40g, and it works great. It has a very small optical sensor, so it can't get jammed by snails, and it sets the overflow timer automatically based on how long it ran when it was last powered on. So if you have a small tank, the timer is set for a very short time.

• Thanks 1
SaltyBuddha

I have the Smart ATO Micro in my IM10. Works pretty well. I have it set in the 3rd chamber where I am growing chaeto. Had to build a small light shield out of black acrylic to make the optical sensor happy. I had it sitting in there with the fuge light on and it decided to trip the overflow alarm. Mind you this was at 1am and I was out of town for business. My wife did not know how to reset it so she was stuck with it beeping until I woke up around 6am to tell her how to fix it. 

After that fix, the entire system has been working flawlessly. Very happy with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
SURVEYMAN46123

All helpful tips and reviews, thank you!

I've contacted Tunze, and they are going to be sending me a new controller.   Until then I am going to keep an eye on things closely.

It may end up on my office nano, and still grab the Smart ATO Micro for the home tank.   :dunno:

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123

So I'm having issues dialing in this light.   All of my corals seem to be happy with it except for one of my hammer corals.   Under the IM Skkye light (18 watt) it was thriving, big and plump, full of color.   During the break in process of the Kessil A80 (15 Watt) i've kept the intensity on the low side.   No effect on anything but this coral.   Its starting to loose color, which tells me it isnt getting enough light.   I've turned up the intensity from say around 40% to almost 80%.   The corals that were stretching have stopped and other corals have expanded much more.   Its just this one hammer that is having issues.   The other hammer is thriving at the bottom of the tank.   Do you think it might be placed too high up (mid tank) or should I just give it more time?

8 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

So I'm having issues dialing in this light.   All of my corals seem to be happy with it except for one of my hammer corals.   Under the IM Skkye light (18 watt) it was thriving, big and plump, full of color.   During the break in process of the Kessil A80 (15 Watt) i've kept the intensity on the low side.   No effect on anything but this coral.   Its starting to loose color, which tells me it isnt getting enough light.   I've turned up the intensity from say around 40% to almost 80%.   The corals that were stretching have stopped and other corals have expanded much more.   Its just this one hammer that is having issues.   The other hammer is thriving at the bottom of the tank.   Do you think it might be placed too high up (mid tank) or should I just give it more time?

I would say to try it at the bottom of the tank since the other one is doing well there. 

My hammer Coral is at the top of my tank and I have the kessil a160..... but I run my kessil at no more than 55% intensity..... sounds like you may be bleaching your Hammer Coral... but that's just a guess.... either lower your settings or lower your Hammer Coral

But you never know it might have nothing to do with the light it could just be circumstantial

SURVEYMAN46123

Around the edges still have color, but not as strong.   The middle is starting to loose color.

I always thought that too much light would make them melt away, and too little would make them bleach out.   This coral was under the 18 watt light at full intensity when I first got it.   Now its under a 15 watt light.   Maybe the IM light was better in this case.

:dunno:

2 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Around the edges still have color, but not as strong.   The middle is starting to loose color.

I always thought that too much light would make them melt away, and too little would make them bleach out.   This coral was under the 18 watt light at full intensity when I first got it.   Now its under a 15 watt light.   Maybe the IM light was better in this case.

:dunno:

Might be related to the intensity of the original LED's or the way each is focused (optics, or whatever the light uses lol).  Narrower optics/more focused light could be too strong for stuff right off the bat.

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

Yeah, there are a lot of factors with LED lights concerning intensity. As Lula_Mae pointed out, the optics definitely make a difference with the IM light compared to the A80. The spectrum on the A80 is different as well. The actinics and higher kelvin light levels will penetrate deeper into the tank; especially when the 15W is concentrated in one array compared to the 6 arrays of the IM.

Put it on the bottom of the tank and see how it does. You can always put it on the edge of the tank as well to give it some extra distance. 

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

I will give that a shot.  Thanks!

I noticed the other day that the cyano was back and got to looking at the dials on the light.  One of my kids had turned up the intensity.  ?  Also the 2 yr old found some food for the fish and gave it all too them without anyone knowing.  So yea not a good couple of days with the home Nano.  It can all be fixed but will just take time and larger water changes.  Anyway here are a few new photos.  Everyone loves photos. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

I will give that a shot.  Thanks!

I noticed the other day that the cyano was back and got to looking at the dials on the light.  One of my kids had turned up the intensity.  ?  Also the 2 yr old found some food for the fish and gave it all too them without anyone knowing.  So yea not a good couple of days with the home Nano.  It can all be fixed but will just take time and larger water changes.  Anyway here are a few new photos.  Everyone loves photos. 

Argh!  That's frustrating!  I overfed my aunt and uncle's fish once and got in BIIIIIIIG trouble for it lol.  Never did it again. :lol: Hope you can get it all straightened out soon!

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
On 8/8/2017 at 11:53 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Argh!  That's frustrating!  I overfed my aunt and uncle's fish once and got in BIIIIIIIG trouble for it lol.  Never did it again. :lol: Hope you can get it all straightened out soon!

Yea me too.  All in good time. 

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
On 8/8/2017 at 4:11 PM, SaltyBuddha said:

Tank looks great though! Those paly zoas look really cool

Thanks man.  We sure do enjoy it.    It's a challenge but I knew that going in.  The palys were a freebie from a friend.  At first I wasnt a fan but they have really grown on me!   

So ive been thinking of not only a powerhead but scrapping the non installed macro algae reactor and investing in a skimmer.   Haven't been following skimmers since I set this tank up to be honest.  So what are some good skimmers people are running in their NUVO 10's?   

Oh and here is a new vid. 

SURVEYMAN46123
12 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

The Innovative Marine ghost skimmer fits perfectly but it's not spectacular....works ok....still better than nothing 

Gotcha.   I may still go the macroalgae route because of space in the back (my heater is in the second chamber), but I'm trying to keep my options open.

gone_PHiSHin

quite a few members speak highly of the Eshopps skimmer, and it apparently just fits in the middle chamber.  teenyreef uses it in his infamous IM10.  the only problem is, you have to mount the light slightly offset to accommodate the skimmer

• 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Well with time and a good water change the diatoms have subsided.   Everything it's looking healthy and happy.  Enjoy the new vid. 

• Like 3