Pod Your Reef

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

That’s crazy that the bucket of salt mixes at different ratios unless it’s blended! I’d have thought salt = salt so you wouldn’t have to mix it. 

Im happy to see you maybe have figured out the issue though. 

I didn't know that running SG at that level was detrimental. I have been running my tank at 1.028 for the last two months and just this last week saw that I should drop it to 1.025. I am doing that slowly. Makes sense if the tank saw that huge fluctuation basically shooting consistency right out the window.

SURVEYMAN46123
On 7/10/2019 at 10:27 AM, TatorTaco said:

That’s crazy that the bucket of salt mixes at different ratios unless it’s blended! I’d have thought salt = salt so you wouldn’t have to mix it. 

Im happy to see you maybe have figured out the issue though. 

Yea I had no idea either.  I have learned that I need to keep an eye on things for sure.  Never had issues with the IO salt I started with.   Ever since switching to reef crystals I have seen some changes of corals and their health since then.   

On 7/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, Daniel91 said:

What are you checking salinity with? Maybe look into calibrating whatever it is and have a second asset to validate/confirm.

I check with a refractometer.   I check it’s calibration a couple times a year.   I especially checked it when I saw this huge spike.   

On 7/10/2019 at 1:24 PM, frahny said:

I didn't know that running SG at that level was detrimental. I have been running my tank at 1.028 for the last two months and just this last week saw that I should drop it to 1.025. I am doing that slowly. Makes sense if the tank saw that huge fluctuation basically shooting consistency right out the window.

I’m not sure it is if you started off that way, but my tank has never been that high.   It obviously happened quickly and not enough time for the tank to adjust.   

Today I walked into the house with the sunglasses on and thought the tank looked good with them on.   So I used my glasses as a filter for a FTS.  😊

1D541613-909B-4B9B-9A8D-924103DAEA87.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 7:00 PM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Yea I had no idea either.  I have learned that I need to keep an eye on things for sure.  Never had issues with the IO salt I started with.   Ever since switching to reef crystals I have seen some changes of corals and their health since then.   

I check with a refractometer.   I check it’s calibration a couple times a year.   I especially checked it when I saw this huge spike.   

I’m not sure it is if you started off that way, but my tank has never been that high.   It obviously happened quickly and not enough time for the tank to adjust.   

Today I walked into the house with the sunglasses on and thought the tank looked good with them on.   So I used my glasses as a filter for a FTS.  😊

1D541613-909B-4B9B-9A8D-924103DAEA87.jpeg

The colors look great. 😊

SURVEYMAN46123
Just now, Joevember said:

Nice colors, that blaso is huge!

Thank you! 

Yea it is, got 3 babies behind it too.   👍

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

More polyp bailout issues.   Seriously this is a complete bummer.  I just don’t know why this keeps happening.   Nothing really is screaming at me something is up parameter wise either.  I’m showing growth in my mushrooms zoas, acans, favias, and blasto.   The blue hammer has split into a second head, and the yellow hammer is still happy as a clam.   

Going to be changing things up a bit here in the next few months for sure.   I’ll just look back on my TOTM pictures and smile on the past.   Look forward to the new future of this tank too.   Oh and thanks @Lawnman for talking me off the ledge.   

415B3152-CE5C-4885-8891-51D69138A941.jpeg

47748CAD-2385-4B22-A5B8-F6A7589EC92A.jpeg

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

A few shots of one of my favia's and some of the zoa's.   Working on trying to get better photos of my tank.

Also planning a re-scape of the tank in the coming weeks.    Hoping it all goes well without any issues.    We will see.   🤷‍♂️

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 4
SURVEYMAN46123

Well it happened tonight.   Spent two hours removing frags, fragging off dead heads, and rescaping the tank.  Ended up using 4 bottles of super glue gel as well.  

Lost the Superman shroom and at least one frogspawn.  Basically the frogspawn that was showing polyp bailout issues.   Might loose another hammer in the next couple days but I figured that would happen.   My blue and yellow hammer are still looking great and as long as they are happy I’m happy.   

The new rock is a piece of caribsea liferock that has been cured at the local LFS.  I think it looks great.  Not as over bearing as the last scape and very little shadowing issues.   That was a huge problem for me and something I was trying to avoid with this change.  

Im excited to see the change and potential this has.   My little nano has officially been rebooted.   So I hope you stick along to see it’s second growth.  

D6C3D15F-63C7-4622-AE3F-C06951CC2082.jpeg

DAAD5CE0-1E25-4733-98D0-D0D72044C2CB.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
SURVEYMAN46123

Tank cleared up from the night before and things looked pretty happy and healthy.   The purple frogspawn is holding on by a thread, and I fully expect it to not make it through the weekend.    I’m also trying to nurse back to life a couple hammers, but if they fade away it is what it is. 

Looking to add maybe a couple more favia to the left side of the rockwork, and let them encrust over there, and zoa’s along the front rock.   If I can get my hands on a frag of Japanese Toadstool I will add one of those as well.

Attached are a couple new photos of the tank settled and happy.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 4

Im really digging that new scape, its growing on me more and more. Do you think since its technically not the same tank you could win another totm? :haha:

SURVEYMAN46123
14 minutes ago, frahny said:

Im really digging that new scape, its growing on me more and more. Do you think since its technically not the same tank you could win another totm? :haha:

Thanks man!   LOL I'm not sure, but that hasn't crossed my mind.   Just want a happy and healthy tank to oogle at nightly.

SURVEYMAN46123
16 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

Sometimes we just need a change to wake our initial enthusiasm for the hobby. Glad you found your way by the latest action.

Yea for sure.   Something had really been irking me about my tank the past few months, and decided things needed a change.   

SURVEYMAN46123

Was looking at one of the old rocks in the tank and noticed more aiptasia.  So I decided to pull it, frag some of the zoas/palys off, and toss the rock.   

Tomorrow hopefully I will have another update to share.  Until then here is a new top down shot for those that are interested. 

53CB8790-F3E5-4587-8E27-0547BBB19DB5.jpeg

• Like 4
SURVEYMAN46123

Well, here is the latest of changes.   I'm now apart of the AI Prime Family.

First impressions is that this light is much more powerful than my Kessil A80.    It was set up late last night, so didn't get to mess with it much.   Set up a simple acclimation schedule, and will run this for a month or so before tweaking it further.   Hopefully by the end of October/November I will have this dialed in.   Being patient with it as my corals are not used to this powerful of a light.

Oh I should also add I got it from @Travis here on the forums.   Quick responses, and fast shipping!   If he throws something up for sale don't hesitate to purchase from him.   👍

Also thanks to @Lawnman for sharing the link to the post and slowly guiding me to making the switch over the past few months.  😉

1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
SURVEYMAN46123
51 minutes ago, Travis said:

Looks great! Love the colors in your tank.

Thanks!  Taken some time to get there, but pretty happy with my choices.

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

With the Kessil I had some zoas and palys that would stretch for light.   With this prime I’m not seeing that.  For reference my old Kessil was at 100% intensity 4-6 inches off the water surface, 8 hours a day.   The new prime is 8-10 inches off the surface at 40% intensity 8 hours a day, and the corals have stopped stretching.   So something is working. 

ED431CD7-2A33-4C7E-A03A-98C33666C76A.jpeg

1106B04C-3EA4-454D-ADF2-1A90C7A91119.jpeg

4BCCB1E5-EFE2-431E-8BAB-736E95B14219.jpeg

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Was thinking over night that I may start up my chaeto reactor again.    Been battling a little bit of cyano lately.   Thoughts?

• Like 1