Jump to content
SURVEYMAN46123

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build

Recommended Posts

SURVEYMAN46123

Okay sounds good.  I don't want to overstock on snails and hermits.   Its such a small tank I don't think I need that much.   I'm thinking maybe a single Blue Legged Hermit and eliminating the Red Legged from my overall list.   Do you think that would be too much when the tank is fully established?

 

Also anyone that is following that is running a Spin Stream with an upgraded pump, are you still running this set up or have you added a powerhead within the tank?   I would much prefer to not have a powerhead in the display, but if its needed what would you suggest?   Remember I am only keeping low/moderate flow corals.   No intention of keeping anything that needs a strong flow.   I'm just worried about deadspots.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tonyb292

So I just upgrade to the .5 Sicce pump and Spin Stream, as my MP10 finally kicked the bucket. Let's just say putting the Spin Stream on cut the flow of the pump way down; and as many other people have said it kinda makes a loud turning/clicking noise. 

 

A couple days ago, I decided to see how the original nozzle and the .5 Sicce pump was like and it felt like it was twice the flow without the SS.  It actually started to kick up the sand on the bottom of the tank.  But, I have pretty low/moderate flow corals too (Acan, Zoas, Paly, Ricordias, GSP, etc.) and they are not complaining with the SS on either. 

 

I'd say if I could quiet the SS down a bit I'd be quite happy with it. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
teenyreef

The noise seems to vary a lot with the SS. The one I used was completely silent. But it definitely cuts way down on the flow. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123
6 minutes ago, Tonyb292 said:

So I just upgrade to the .5 Sicce pump and Spin Stream, as my MP10 finally kicked the bucket. Let's just say putting the Spin Stream on cut the flow of the pump way down; and as many other people have said it kinda makes a loud turning/clicking noise. 

 

A couple days ago, I decided to see how the original nozzle and the .5 Sicce pump was like and it felt like it was twice the flow without the SS.  It actually started to kick up the sand on the bottom of the tank.  But, I have pretty low/moderate flow corals too (Acan, Zoas, Paly, Ricordias, GSP, etc.) and they are not complaining with the SS on either. 

 

I'd say if I could quiet the SS down a bit I'd be quite happy with it. 

 

That's useful information!  Thank you.    My tank is in my living room and I don't notice the noise from where I sit and when I am close to the tank it isn't that noticeable.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Tonyb292
8 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

That's useful information!  Thank you.    My tank is in my living room and I don't notice the noise from where I sit and when I am close to the tank it isn't that noticeable.  

 

 

Anytime!  I think I might take it apart and see if it's misaligned or anything. 

 

It's quite funny from your equipment list and future equipment list it sounds like we have pretty much the same tank :)  I enjoy the Kessil A80/Controller on the tank; while other people think it's way too under powered for it.  But, then again I do have a majority of coral in the tank that don't require strong lighting so that might be a win win in my book. 

 

Hope you enjoy the tank as it's a fun little one; I got mine around a year ago and already have the I need a bigger tank syndrome going on haha...then I see Teenyreef's IM10 and think I have a lot more stocking to do :P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123
7 minutes ago, Tonyb292 said:

Anytime!  I think I might take it apart and see if it's misaligned or anything. 

 

It's quite funny from your equipment list and future equipment list it sounds like we have pretty much the same tank :)  I enjoy the Kessil A80/Controller on the tank; while other people think it's way too under powered for it.  But, then again I do have a majority of coral in the tank that don't require strong lighting so that might be a win win in my book. 

 

Hope you enjoy the tank as it's a fun little one; I got mine around a year ago and already have the I need a bigger tank syndrome going on haha...then I see Teenyreef's IM10 and think I have a lot more stocking to do :P

 

Awesome!   I'm eager to get the Kessil but going to have to wait after vacation and such.  Sounds like we will be keeping similar corals too and I like the way the light looks over the tank.

 

I'm enjoying it so far.   Cannot wait till I can get it cycled and get some movement going on in there.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

Last evening I dumped in a bottle of Bio-Spira to help jumpstart and shorten my cycle.   As it was cloudy from the bacteria I took a look at the flow I was getting from the spinstream.   Seems there is a slight deadspot right underneath it as the particles just kinda hovered there.  However the rest of the tank has what looks to be plenty of flow for the corals I want to keep.   I'm just going to keep an eye on that specific area and hope no detritus decides to settle there.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

Tested the water this morning.  Not reading any Ammonia or nitrITE this morning.  Tested twice and its coming out the same.  nitrATE IS just above 15 and below 20 ppm by the looks of it.  However I'm gonna wait a few more days to see if it stays there.  

 

Should I do a waterchange before adding any fish/inverts/frags?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
teenyreef

Nitrates are a little high for a freshly cycled tank, so I'd wait a few days and see what happens. 

 

It won't hurt to do a regular water change before adding anything, it will help export nitrates and you can blow off the rocks and stir up the sand before the change to get rid of any excess detritus.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

Sounds like a good plan.  I'm going to keep and eye on this and maybe I will be in the range to add a few things this coming weekend.  

 

That bio-spira seemed to do the trick for sure. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

Sorry I'm a bit obsessed with my new tank.  ?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
teenyreef

It's OK, we like pictures here. Keep em coming :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
ry05coupe

Looks like we are on a similar schedule, I just set up my Nuvo 20 2 days before you and added bio spira a day after you did. I also have nothing but nitrates! Hopefully we will both have some fish soon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
dmw913

Stand is just beautiful and now a family heirloom!  So cool that it was handcrafted!  Congrats!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
gone_PHiSHin

wow, cabinet looks great!  good job dad

 

haha we have very similar setups.  I have an IM10 with Nanobox Tide Plus M, Sicce 0.5, Tunze 3152, Intank Media Basket - carbon, GFO, Purigen.  it has been cycled for a couple months or so and my first fish was a TSB.  nassarius, cerith, astrea, and scarlet hermits for CUC.

 

I seem to remember you saying you wanted a tailspot blenny as your first fish?  well so far so good in my tank, the Blenny has been eating a variety of foods since day one, but I have heard they can be difficult to keep past the 4-5 month mark.  I would highly suggest you read the Tailspot Blenny thread.  it's like 12 pages long and spans many years and keeps getting resurrected.  you will learn a lot about that fish in the thread, should you choose to put him in as your first fish.  

 

keep us updated!  (I'll start a build thread one of these days)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123
On 2/28/2017 at 8:02 PM, dmw913 said:

Stand is just beautiful and now a family heirloom!  So cool that it was handcrafted!  Congrats!

 

Thank you.   I've always wanted something that my dad has built and this was the perfect opportunity. 

 

14 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

wow, cabinet looks great!  good job dad

 

haha we have very similar setups.  I have an IM10 with Nanobox Tide Plus M, Sicce 0.5, Tunze 3152, Intank Media Basket - carbon, GFO, Purigen.  it has been cycled for a couple months or so and my first fish was a TSB.  nassarius, cerith, astrea, and scarlet hermits for CUC.

 

I seem to remember you saying you wanted a tailspot blenny as your first fish?  well so far so good in my tank, the Blenny has been eating a variety of foods since day one, but I have heard they can be difficult to keep past the 4-5 month mark.  I would highly suggest you read the Tailspot Blenny thread.  it's like 12 pages long and spans many years and keeps getting resurrected.  you will learn a lot about that fish in the thread, should you choose to put him in as your first fish.  

 

keep us updated!  (I'll start a build thread one of these days)

 

I'm not sure if the Tailspot will be our first fish.   Yes we want one in our tank but I would much prefer it to be a bit more mature before we add one.  I was thinking a purple firefish would be the first inhabitant, but knowing how jumpy they are and how jumpy my children are I would be afraid of loosing the little guy.   Also I have read that some have seen them jump from the lights switching on in the morning.  Since my light right now is on a timer that is a concern of mine.   Maybe I just go with a clown to start, but I'm afraid of the possible aggression towards new tank-mates down the road.    Add the firefish as the last fish after I have added the Kessil or AI to my tank this summer.   However I am open to suggestions of firefish replacements.   My daughter loves the color purple/pink, so if I dont go with the purple firefish, what about a Purple Dottyback.   Would they be friendly with the other two fish?

 

Thank you for the suggestion on the thread, I will take a look this afternoon. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

 

Nitrates are too high but Ammonia and Nitrites are at zero.  Going to do a 5 gallon waterchange in the morning to lower them, then start looking at my local LFS's livestock selection to get an idea of what is out there.   ????

 

The colors were hard to pick up with my phone but I had my wife verify my readings as well.  

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

Miixed up some water overnight and did a quick 4 gallon water change this morning. I also switched out the filter sock that came with the tank and added the media basket. Running filter floss and chemi pure blue now.  Nitrates were in the zero range, so I was pretty happy with that.  

The family and I then took a trip over to the local LFS to check out the shop. We ended up grabbing some new inhabitants. A couple small Nassarius Snails, 3 Scarlet Hermits, and a Royal Gramma Basslet. He is a beautiful little guy but hiding out in one of the caves at the moment. I was gonna grab a couple small frags but since I don't have any dip right now I decided against it.  

I'll break out the camera as soon as he wants to show off and share some new photos. 

 

 

 

 

IMG_1784.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Weetabix7

Congrats on the new tankmates!!

There's nothing like that first rush of adding critters to a new system!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
gone_PHiSHin

congrats on the first inhabitants!

 

good choice on the clean up crew, I love nassarius and scarlets, both are must haves for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tonyb292

Looking good! This is when it starts to get more fun!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

Well this is a bummer.....

 

I came out of the shower and my daughter said, "Dad he's out and swimming!"   I walk out to the tank and well it's not swimming, it's being pushed around the tank by the flow, with random twitches from him.  His lower lip is white, fins have white along the edge and well now he is no longer breathing.  Daughter is in tears and I'm writing this all confused.  I re-tested the water.  0 ppm Ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrite, 0 on the Nitrate scale.   Temp is at 77.8, and salinity is 1.025.  I'm so dumbfounded. RIP little guy.  

 

Im not giving up yet!  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Weetabix7

Very sorry. :(

 

That seems a bit sudden, considering the parameters you listed above. 

 

Do you know if the LFS keeps their fish at a significantly lower salinity? Some places do that with their fish. 

Did you acclimate the fish, and if so, how?

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

They quarantine their fish before putting on sale,  and do keep their salinity a bit lower than my tank.  I believe she said 1.022-1.023.  

 

As for acclimation, I first floated the bags, then I drip acclimated for an hour.  The only thing I did not do was turn off the lights before adding him to my tank.  

 

The snails and hermits seem to be doing just great BTW.  Walking around and exploring all the nooks and crannies.  I feel awful and feel like I am rushing things.  However everything checked out.  Maybe I just got a bad fish. 

 

???

 

Share this post


Link to post
HOTWATER

Just finished reading your thread. Looks like your off to a great start! Sorry to hear about your gramma looks like a fluke to me if your params were in check. I've just recently purchased an IM 10 fusion, with an AI prime hd, waiting on a few things to come in before I start the cycle. Definitely will be following along good luck! 

 

On another quick note, you can have 2-3 fish in this tank no problem. Obviously small(ish) I had a o. Clown, gramma, and tailspot in an 8gal jbj with no problem everyone got along great. Look at teenys 10 and his fish stock! ;)

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...