SURVEYMAN46123

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build

SURVEYMAN46123
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I have a regular Prime bought off a member here, which I got after seeing Gena's results on her drop-off tank with a Prime.  Keep an eye out on the classifieds and you should find a good deal on one.  It will definitely be plenty of light.  I'll be putting it over my 7.5 gallon bowfront I'm setting up and I expect to have it on suuuuuuper low power haha.

Yea I’m hoping to find one here.  Gena’s,@Lawnman’s and @Cannedfish are all inspiring.  

• Like 1

SURVEYMAN46123

In speaking with @lawnman I have adopted his maintenance routine in hopes that it will help promote a bit more growth and health of my corals.   

We will see what happens.

• Like 1

frahny
6 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

In speaking with @lawnman I have adopted his maintenance routine in hopes that it will help promote a bit more growth and health of my corals.   

We will see what happens.

Care to elaborate?

SURVEYMAN46123

Small 1/2 gallon (2-3 cups) water changes a couple times a week.

• Thanks 1

SURVEYMAN46123

So Saturday when the lights came on I noticed something looked odd within the tank.   Upon further inspection, I saw my Meteor Shower Cyphastrea was showing signs of melting away.   Tested the tank, and everything was well within levels I'm happy keeping, and my tank has always been happy with.   So safe to say, I was pretty upset with it all.  The tank has really been acting funny the past couple of months and has been the most frustrating part of this journey so far.    I've also been having some issues with aiptasia, and have been looking for some Berghia Nudibranches locally with no luck so far.   I'm not sure where the aiptasia has come from, as I dip all of my corals, as well as removing them from the plug they come from, and gluing them to a new plug before they go into the tank.  Frustration to the max.

Yesterday was waterchange day since I was at the Indy 500 all day Sunday.   I decided that things needed a bit of a change, so I did a little rearranging within the tank.   I rotated the main rock a bit, and re-glued some corals to the rockwork.   I also vacuumed the sand in the spot where the rocks used to sit, as there was a bit of detritus in those spots.    Eventually I got to a point where I was happy with it, and let it be.   I also removed the spinstream nozzle and stuck on the stock nozzle.   I'm trying to do everything I can do to save things and promote health and growth in my corals.   I'm going to give it a few months and see where we are at the end of the summer.   Hopefully the next few posts within this thread will be on the positive side.   At least for those still following.

If it all fails, I will be doing a complete overhaul of the tank, and a new approach, but hopefully we never get there.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 2

frahny

damn that sucks Paul! hopefully the rescape and removal of detritus clears it up. The rescape looks really good! I dig the column look but I do foresee some shadowing soon.

• Like 1

frahny

Any update how things are responding to the new scape? Saw that IG post everything looked super nice as always!

dferrari13

Looks good! Yea its alot easier to maintain steady water parameters by doing small water changes more often each week....especially in a 10 gallon.....hope the meteor shower bounces back

• Like 1

SURVEYMAN46123
On 6/5/2019 at 12:05 PM, frahny said:

Any update how things are responding to the new scape? Saw that IG post everything looked super nice as always!

Thanks man!  Other than the aiptasia issuses things are great.

22 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

Looks good! Yea its alot easier to maintain steady water parameters by doing small water changes more often each week....especially in a 10 gallon.....hope the meteor shower bounces back

Yea things have been improving since starting the @lawnman routine.   Meteor Shower has been tossed.   Bleached and no flesh left.  😞

dferrari13
19 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Thanks man!  Other than the aiptasia issuses things are great.

Yea things have been improving since starting the @lawnman routine.   Meteor Shower has been tossed.   Bleached and no flesh left.  😞

It happens.....and sometimes for no apparent reason. It gets frustrating when your parameters are perfect too.

SURVEYMAN46123
2 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

It happens.....and sometimes for no apparent reason. It gets frustrating when your parameters are perfect too.

For sure.  😖

Today I went to the LFS to pick up some aiptasia control.   Two peppermint shrimp and a berghia nudibranch.  Cross fingers it alleviates my problems. 

782827FF-CFD5-4288-A458-0235AF7820CD.jpeg

• Like 4

SURVEYMAN46123

As of yesterday, the 10-12 aiptasia that I had, are now gone.   

👍

• Like 3

frahny
7 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

👍

That is amazing! Nice work

• Like 1

dferrari13
On 6/10/2019 at 7:39 AM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

👍

Where did you get the nudibranch

SURVEYMAN46123
13 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

Where did you get the nudibranch

My LFS had a few, so I grabbed one.

SURVEYMAN46123

Here is a few newer photos of the tank.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 2

banasophia

Looks great! Glad to hear you were able to get rid of the aiptasia!!

• Like 1

SURVEYMAN46123
31 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Looks great! Glad to hear you were able to get rid of the aiptasia!!

Thanks.

Yes me too!   Corals are starting to bounce back.   👍

• Like 1

SURVEYMAN46123
1 hour ago, frahny said:

:bowdown:

Thanks, you're too kind.