Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123
17 hours ago, banasophia said:

Looks pretty awesome to me 🙂

It’s hard to tell in that pic but it’s showing more and more of the skeleton.  Today there is only half left. 

4 hours ago, dcknipe said:

Paul, I have my chalices within a few inches from the sandbed in a pretty low flow/low light area and they are starting to cover the frag plug. You may need to just move it. 

That is where mine is.  Low flow, low light, 1/2 an inch off the sandbed.  

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Well I lost the chalice, and starting to loose my lepto.   Put the lepto back into the frag rack hoping it will bounce back.   Everything else is happy and thriving.   Maybe those types of corals are just not good for my little setup.

Maybe I should find some more euphyllia?  😉

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Well I lost the chalice, and starting to loose my lepto.   Put the lepto back into the frag rack hoping it will bounce back.   Everything else is happy and thriving.   Maybe those types of corals are just not good for my little setup.

Maybe I should find some more euphyllia?  😉

Bummer about the chalice and lepto. Must be hammer time. 😂

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Came home from work yesterday and found on of my torches showing signs of BJD in two of the 4 heads.   Went ahead and fragged and saved the two that didn’t show signs of the disease.   Hope they survive.  🤷‍♂️

• Sad 4
SURVEYMAN46123

Well another head of the green torch in the trash.   On top of that something is up with some of my zoas and my superman shroom walked off its plug and into a deep crevice in my rocks.   Something is up with my tank and well I don't know what it is.   Swapped out the nozzles last week to see if increased flow might help with some growth and happiness of the corals, but that was a huge mistake.   Pissed everything off to a point some corals closed up and retracted more than I had ever seen before.   So the spinstream went back on and corals have bounced back mostly.   

Parameters are all good, well within happy ranges.   Not sure if I have some kind of pest screwing with the corals or something else I haven't tested for.   I'm frustrated beyond all belief.   Don't really have the desire to screw with it too much, and definitely don't have the cash to put into it either.   Just hoping it figures itself out and things return to normal.   

• Sad 2
5 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Well another head of the green torch in the trash.   On top of that something is up with some of my zoas and my superman shroom walked off its plug and into a deep crevice in my rocks.   Something is up with my tank and well I don't know what it is.   Swapped out the nozzles last week to see if increased flow might help with some growth and happiness of the corals, but that was a huge mistake.   Pissed everything off to a point some corals closed up and retracted more than I had ever seen before.   So the spinstream went back on and corals have bounced back mostly.   

Parameters are all good, well within happy ranges.   Not sure if I have some kind of pest screwing with the corals or something else I haven't tested for.   I'm frustrated beyond all belief.   Don't really have the desire to screw with it too much, and definitely don't have the cash to put into it either.   Just hoping it figures itself out and things return to normal.   

Fingers crossed that things turn around. 🤞🏻

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading the whole thread from the start to now. It is really impressive what you have been able to do in such a short period of time as it normally takes years for tanks to mature. I am definitely following along for the future to see what the tank evolves to next. My dads 90 gallon reef had a similar thing happen with euphyllias where for like the first year and a half they did great and then he started losing them and we never could figure out why. I really hope yours pull through. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Been awhile since I posted in this thread.   Tank is doing well, but doesn't feel as "full" as it once did.   Once I had to frag the torch it seems like its missing something.   Just waiting for the zoas to fill out the upper portion of the rockwork, and looking for a couple more torches for the rock on the bottom left.   Once that is done, I think I "Might" be happy.  lol

1.jpg

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Been awhile since I posted in this thread.   Tank is doing well, but doesn't feel as "full" as it once did.   Once I had to frag the torch it seems like its missing something.   Just waiting for the zoas to fill out the upper portion of the rockwork, and looking for a couple more torches for the rock on the bottom left.   Once that is done, I think I "Might" be happy.  lol

1.jpg

Gorgeous, as always! And nice to frag stuff to have a little room for something newww!!! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been answered, I have read most of your journal, but what salt did you end up using and are water changes keeping things stable without dosing?

Also love the light choice going with the same!

• 4 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123
On 1/29/2019 at 12:37 AM, Cal559 said:

Sorry if this has been answered, I have read most of your journal, but what salt did you end up using and are water changes keeping things stable without dosing?

Also love the light choice going with the same!

Sorry just caught this.    I use Reef Crystals, and yes water changes do keep things stable.

As for the tank its still running, but I've not been updating, sorry.   I've shut down my instagram for a while, trying to focus on new things and some changes with the tank as well.    Been an up and down past couple of months, but things are looking up, and hope to share some photos in the future.  

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

I've shut down my instagram for a while

No wonder you didn’t answer me. 😂 

glad things are looking up. 😊

SURVEYMAN46123
8 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

No wonder you didn’t answer me. 😂 

glad things are looking up. 😊

My bad.   Shoot me a message here for the time being.  😉

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
5 hours ago, Newstead said:

Hope it's smooth sailing for a while for you - I love this tank!

Thanks!

Making a few changes, and hope to come back to show you all of them soon.  Pieces need to fall into place first.  😉

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
On 2/27/2019 at 10:55 PM, dferrari13 said:

Waiting patiently....tap.tap.tap

The tank looks freaking awesome as it is!! Lol (but cant wait to see the outcome)

Haha thanks.   

One of the biggest changes is that the torches have gone away.   Some melted away and my holy grail torch I sold to a local reefer.   So now I have a mostly bare rock I’m not sure what to do with yet.   

Here is what I’m dealing with.   The torch is toast but hopeful it might bounce back and I place it elsewhere in the tank.  

F28481E9-FBDC-47D5-A446-EA6184D33B71.jpeg

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Here is a current FTS.   Would love a yellow hammer or orange octospawn but those are $$$$ and I don’t have any $$$$ LOL.  

I need to frag off the dead pieces on my candy cane coral.   One thought I’ve considered was to put the candy canes down low and get more hammers for up high.   

Another thought is to move my zoa rock on top of that one, and get another rock for the lower right side and cover it with something or get a large colony of torch coral.   So many options I’m not sure what to do.  

D2DEE4DB-EA8A-4669-8FC6-9EC01406B0F2.jpeg

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123

Couple new photos of the tank from today.   The rock that used to hold the torches has been propped up a bit to create more flow downwards.   Suggested by @Lawnman I think it looks pretty good.   I’ve placed the Duncan there and hoping it will start to thrive here.   The rest of the rock I think I’m going to cover with zoa’s.   Recently picked up some cats eyes and rainbow hornets from a local reefer.   Will provably place them down there somewhere.   Still have a bit more room for other corals.  Might grab a toadstool to put in the back under the return and under the overflow side of the tank I might get a encrusting coral of some sorts.  Maybe a dragon soul favia or a maze brain coral.  

37B77876-B6C0-40DA-A1D7-8B0D4C83E3D6.jpeg

1D472112-BF19-4457-AC44-C2EF1E91F1D2.jpeg

• Like 5
SURVEYMAN46123

So with the torches gone things have been a bit bare.  I have been trying to come up with a plan to re-build the lower half.  

Yesterday my local club held their annual swap and I spent most of the day selling raffle tickets and helping out where I could.   Dropped $25 bucks into raffle tickets as well and won a couple frags, some food, and tickets to MACNA in Orlando.   I also picked up a Yellow hammer and some Date Night Palys.   Overall a good start to a partial re-work of my tank.  Once it grows out I should be happy for awhile.  🤣

E5724137-DC75-4F27-A116-2BD692205744.jpeg

457C2FC3-DE1C-4B74-9A3C-C1A6AF45AFF0.jpeg

26EE2FFA-27B4-4CF6-BDB4-0A85A86A02F2.jpeg

B55F5544-54BD-4D7A-8A32-D4C95F47D22E.jpeg

473F661F-889D-47F3-A521-8764E6F5D2FF.jpeg

6227CE9E-2735-4937-B803-FA54CD45B2D3.jpeg

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

So with the torches gone things have been a bit bare.  I have been trying to come up with a plan to re-build the lower half.  

Yesterday my local club held their annual swap and I spent most of the day selling raffle tickets and helping out where I could.   Dropped $25 bucks into raffle tickets as well and won a couple frags, some food, and tickets to MACNA in Orlando.   I also picked up a Yellow hammer and some Date Night Palys.   Overall a good start to a partial re-work of my tank.  Once it grows out I should be happy for awhile.  🤣

E5724137-DC75-4F27-A116-2BD692205744.jpeg

457C2FC3-DE1C-4B74-9A3C-C1A6AF45AFF0.jpeg

26EE2FFA-27B4-4CF6-BDB4-0A85A86A02F2.jpeg

B55F5544-54BD-4D7A-8A32-D4C95F47D22E.jpeg

473F661F-889D-47F3-A521-8764E6F5D2FF.jpeg

6227CE9E-2735-4937-B803-FA54CD45B2D3.jpeg

Nice! 😄

• Like 1