Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123
5 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Great looking tank.  I am a sucker for euphyllia.  I just like anything long flowing in the current.  I like your scape too.

Thank you!

• Like 1
On 10/5/2018 at 9:12 AM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

I've been tossing around the idea of adding a very small amount of kalkwasser to my topoff to bring up some numbers.   

I added Ca hydroxide to my ATO reservoir (about 1 tsp/gallon of RO water) in order to have kalwasser going into my IM20 and once it kicked in to the over all water chemistry of the tank (after about 1 month) it definitely stimulated the coraline algae to grow on my live rock and glass.

Awesome tank by the way.

SURVEYMAN46123
2 hours ago, Zuma said:

I added Ca hydroxide to my ATO reservoir (about 1 tsp/gallon of RO water) in order to have kalwasser going into my IM20 and once it kicked in to the over all water chemistry of the tank (after about 1 month) it definitely stimulated the coraline algae to grow on my live rock and glass.

Awesome tank by the way.

Thanks!

Yea I have been thinking of doing that.  I may start off with a 1/2 tsp just too slowly add it to my tank.

Lately one of my hammers have been starting to turn milky white.   One that has always been hardy and in the same spot for close to a year now.   I'm not sure whats going on.

• 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

So over the weekend the family and I attended a frag swap to meet up with some reefing friends.   We had some trades to make, and well I made three purchases as well.  A great looking Jack-O-Lantern Lepto, a Utter Chaos Zoa, and a nice 3D Printed Frag Rack.   Remember kids, it's good to have friends in the hobby cause you never know who will help you out in life or with a little frag trading.   These guys helped me put a little more color into my little piece of the ocean.   All of the other frags were from trades or for future frags of items within my tank.    I can't tell you how much I love this hobby, and the friends I have made.   85% of the corals in my tank are from friends or trades.   Safe to say, unless I start fragging more, these will be the final corals added to the tank.   

Jack-O-Lantern Lepto

Bejeweled Favia

WWC Toxic Pie Chalice

Pink Yuma Mushroom

Utter Chaos Zoa

Pink and Gold Paly

WWC Watermelon Zoa’s

Yellow and Red zoa.  (Don’t remember the name the guy said.) 

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

8.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 4
SURVEYMAN46123
57 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

Really nice additions Paul. Feel free to bless us with a FTS.

Any future plans for a second tank/upgrade?

Daniel

everything should be nice and open when I get home later.    Ill take a new FTS for you all and post it this evening.

As for an upgrade, I would love too, but right now I love this tank and don't have the funds to support an upgrade or second tank.    Trying to send my child to Tokyo, and starting a bathroom remodel.

CrushtheTurtle

digging the tank. thinking of starting a nuvo 10 - do you find any need for additional flow with a powerhead? or was updating the stock return pump to the sicce enough (in addition to the spin stream which I think decreases return flow a bit)

56 minutes ago, CrushtheTurtle said:

digging the tank. thinking of starting a nuvo 10 - do you find any need for additional flow with a powerhead? or was updating the stock return pump to the sicce enough (in addition to the spin stream which I think decreases return flow a bit)

In my opinion...no such thing as too much flow....unless your corals hate it....detritus is your enemy

41 minutes ago, dferrari13 said:

In my opinion...no such thing as too much flow....unless your corals hate it....detritus is your enemy

I added a hydor nano to my IM10. The added surface agitation and lack of settled detritus was worth the $25 bucks. I have the sicce .5 too. 

This is my configuration. Also in this location it doesn't murder my LPS. 

SmartSelect_20181025-204113_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
12 hours ago, CrushtheTurtle said:

Thanks!   For my tank it works perfect, but if you want to keep sps I wouldn't suggest this route.    Yes the flow is decreased with the spinstream, but if I hook up the stock return nozzle it is way too much for my lps.   

11 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

For me I don't have detritus issues.   However my maintenance routine covers that with each waterchange.    

10 hours ago, dcknipe said:

I added a hydor nano to my IM10. The added surface agitation and lack of settled detritus was worth the $25 bucks. I have the sicce .5 too. 

This is my configuration. Also in this location it doesn't murder my LPS. 

SmartSelect_20181025-204113_Gallery.jpg

👍

• 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Been taking the time to trim back some corals and and get them on plugs to sell off to some local reefing friends.    If you didn't catch my signature or the S**t show of a thread in the makeshift lounge about my daughters trip to Japan, that is one reason why I am selling frags.   Trying to scrounge up a little extra cash here and there to help with her trip.    I've thrown around the idea of selling it all off, but in the long run I don't think I would make much.   Plus I put around 10 bucks a month into this tank to keep it going, so its not a huge expense anyway.   

...... anyway the tank is looking bare in spots.   Hoping the ricordea produce a few babies for me, as I have some people interested in them.   Same with my blue hammer, but that jerk wont split.  LOL    Mostly hoping the zoa's grow out and I can get some frags out of them.   

Enough blabbering, your just here for the pictures anyway.   

😛

IMG_9308.jpg

IMG_9359.JPG

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Been taking the time to trim back some corals and and get them on plugs to sell off to some local reefing friends.    If you didn't catch my signature or the S**t show of a thread in the makeshift lounge about my daughters trip to Japan, that is one reason why I am selling frags.   Trying to scrounge up a little extra cash here and there to help with her trip.    I've thrown around the idea of selling it all off, but in the long run I don't think I would make much.   Plus I put around 10 bucks a month into this tank to keep it going, so its not a huge expense anyway.   

...... anyway the tank is looking bare in spots.   Hoping the ricordea produce a few babies for me, as I have some people interested in them.   Same with my blue hammer, but that jerk wont split.  LOL    Mostly hoping the zoa's grow out and I can get some frags out of them.   

Enough blabbering, your just here for the pictures anyway.   

😛

IMG_9308.jpg

IMG_9359.JPG

A trip to Japan would be really cool! I went to France with my class in high school and it was a pretty amazing experience. As expensive as it is, though, I'm not sure selling off your tank would make much of a dent. Hope you guys can raise the money!

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
14 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

A trip to Japan would be really cool! I went to France with my class in high school and it was a pretty amazing experience. As expensive as it is, though, I'm not sure selling off your tank would make much of a dent. Hope you guys can raise the money!

Thank you!   We are about half way there.   

Travel is one of the best teachers out there IMO.

• Like 4
SURVEYMAN46123
1 minute ago, Daniel91 said:

Uber it up before the trip. 

I went to Japan for 14 days and spent 10 of those in Tokyo, which is definitly not cheap.

It’s not worth selling your tank.

Oh for sure.   I am currently working my full time job and a few hours here and there at a local grocery store to help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Anyone still following?  LOL

Nothing new really happening with my tank.  Picked up a brittle starfish before thanksgiving and he’s fun to watch.   Other than that just letting things mature.  

AA4EB561-7077-4C55-87DB-20A900E31375.jpeg

A3DEFB30-4F16-4DB1-B294-85BBB00ABF91.jpeg

9FE1943F-D916-4D71-8516-60F6E6340DB4.jpeg

DEC84411-80D4-4582-8199-78C1CE9F709B.jpeg

50B0E0E9-E25D-47C7-B475-C345E0F8CA98.jpeg

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Anyone still following?  LOL

Nothing new really happening with my tank.  Picked up a brittle starfish before thanksgiving and he’s fun to watch.   Other than that just letting things mature.  

AA4EB561-7077-4C55-87DB-20A900E31375.jpeg

A3DEFB30-4F16-4DB1-B294-85BBB00ABF91.jpeg

9FE1943F-D916-4D71-8516-60F6E6340DB4.jpeg

DEC84411-80D4-4582-8199-78C1CE9F709B.jpeg

50B0E0E9-E25D-47C7-B475-C345E0F8CA98.jpeg

Very nice!

im glad the fundraising is going well. 😊

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Been noticing that my only Chalice hasn’t been doing too well.   Today is the worst it has looked and I don’t have a good feeling about it.   Just don’t think Chalice’s are for me.  

C6A83153-E927-4BCA-8EE3-04A389745BF0.jpeg

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Been noticing that my only Chalice hasn’t been doing too well.   Today is the worst it has looked and I don’t have a good feeling about it.   Just don’t think Chalice’s are for me.  

Looks pretty awesome to me 🙂

13 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Paul, I have my chalices within a few inches from the sandbed in a pretty low flow/low light area and they are starting to cover the frag plug. You may need to just move it.