inTank Media Baskets

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

I have a couple questions as I am putting together a similiar setup..do you think going with a sicce 1 would have been better with the spinstream instead of the .5...do you ever plan on getting a controller for the a80 to have ramp up times. I think your tank looks awesome and thanks so much for sharing your build and experiences it has helped me.

2 hours ago, Grmreapr said:

I have a couple questions as I am putting together a similiar setup..do you think going with a sicce 1 would have been better with the spinstream instead of the .5...do you ever plan on getting a controller for the a80 to have ramp up times. I think your tank looks awesome and thanks so much for sharing your build and experiences it has helped me.

I have the same tank and light, edit to add that it doesn’t look nearly as good. On/off works just fine. The ramp up down stuff is just for us. 

SURVEYMAN46123
23 hours ago, hinnenkm said:

The tank is looking beautiful!!

Thank you!   As always I think it could use some more color but all good things come in time.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

@SURVEYMAN46123, have you considered putting something right there in the middle?  I don't have any good suggestion but maybe like a rock flower anemone, chili coral, or something?  OH! What about a red or yellow sponge?

Capture.PNG

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
18 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

@SURVEYMAN46123, have you considered putting something right there in the middle?  I don't have any good suggestion but maybe like a rock flower anemone, chili coral, or something?  OH! What about a red or yellow sponge?

Capture.PNG

I have been looking for something to put there for awhile now.   Its always been the hardest to decide what would thrive there and look good as well.    I thought of a chalice but their sweepers might hit my hammers or torches.   Speaking of them I have to worry about their sweepers for anything I put in that area.    Basically I need something that wont start coral world war III and something that can thrive in the lower light in that area.

I will take a look at your suggestions for sure.    Thanks!

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

As of late I’ve really considered getting new rock and re-scaping my tank.   It would take a lot of work but maybe I could fix some of the shortcomings of my aquascape.   Don’t get me wrong I like the look of my tank but something is missing to me.   Don’t know if I feel like I need more space on the sandbed or less rock.  Something is just screaming to me that it needs fixed but I don’t know what.  🤷‍♂️🤔

Tbh, I think one will never be fully satisfied with ones aquascape. There are always thing to do, some for the better, some for the worst.

IMO, if some rearranging will be a fun couple of hours for you - DO it. If there is the slightest chance, that you might think it is hassle, then leave that beautiful thing by itself.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:23 PM, Daniel91 said:

Tbh, I think one will never be fully satisfied with ones aquascape. There are always thing to do, some for the better, some for the worst.

IMO, if some rearranging will be a fun couple of hours for you - DO it. If there is the slightest chance, that you might think it is hassle, then leave that beautiful thing by itself.

That's is so true.

SURVEYMAN46123

So I’ve done a couple small changes that I’ve been meaning to do.   

Last week I rotated my torch rock so I could view both torches from the front.  Both have responded well and my Holy Grail Torch seems to love it.  Really starting to extend more.  ??

Tonight during my weekly water change I did change number two.  I scraped off the GSP on my back wall.  The flow in my tank wasn’t enough for it and it started to hold some algae and detritus.  Not something I was happy with.  Been thinking of growing something else on the back wall but I may need to get a powerhead for what I’m thinking.   

41461F6B-EE55-46FC-A4DB-C0E799DAA939.jpeg

66C5141E-81F4-4B61-A34F-88D557067FA1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

This past weekend I visited one of my favorite LFS’ and picked up a little superman mushroom.   It was a good deal, but not something I was really looking for.   However it’s the first coral I’ve added to the tank since March.   Eager to see how it does in my tank.   My little purple rhodactis mushroom has grown 3 times its size since I got it, so hopefully the new shroom does as well.

When I attended my first swap back in March of 17 I purchased a frag of acans, and they did well for a while.   You can look back within this thread to see photos of it at its glory.   However they started to fade away for no reason.   I moved the frag to a low flow/low light area of the tank and just let it be.   If I lost it, that would suck, but if it bounced back great.   Well over a few months all but one polyp faded away.   I continued to feed the remaining polyp a mixture of coral food, and last night during my water change I rotated the plug around and found two new baby heads.   So hopefully this acan is bouncing back and will be full and happy once again.  Sometimes patience and persistence pays off. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
4 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

Nice! Looks great. What fish/invert combo are you rocking to this day?

Still have two clowns, a yasha goby, candy cane pistol, and a cleaner shrimp.   Also have two trochus snails, a nasarrius snail, and two hermits.

37 minutes ago, MrJDanP said:

Tank is looking good. Always exciting to see new growth!

Thanks!

SURVEYMAN46123

Been throwing around the idea of getting rid of my Kessil A80.   Trading plus cash for an A160 or AI Prime.   However I’m not fully sold on the idea.   I’m itching for a change but I know what I have is working so why take the jump?   

I’ve also started the early stages of working out my plans for an upgrade.   

23AB8303-864C-436A-B313-84926FB63BE2.jpeg

7E90E3DE-75FA-4B9F-815C-221673792159.jpeg

• Like 2

Long story that I might eventually share at a later time.  I've been watching you, defrrari, and a couple others both here + social media.  Over the weekend, I finally pulled the trigger and bought an IM 10.  As soon as I bought it, I had buyers' remorse and went and picked up an IM20 the same day. 

The point I'm taking forever to make is that I also bought an A160 and a Prime HD.  If it helps, I might be able to help you with your lighting questions if you want more light than A80.  If I were you, I'd keep the A80 for now since it does everything you want out of it, and you aren't maxing it out.   

Anything I can do to help sway your opinion on upgrading the lights or the tank, let me know. 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Picked up a couple new frags on friday from my LFS.   Actually went in for an orange hammer but it was pretty meh, which was a bummer, as I've been looking for one for awhile now.   Oh well picked up some stunners in my opinion at an awesome deal as well.  

Got a nice 20+ head frag of Fruit Loop zoas, and a neon yellow Ricordea.   Overall the tank is still doing great and I think the new additions really bring a good pop of color to it overall.

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

Top down - new coral.jpg

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123
39 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Beautiful new additions @SURVEYMAN46123, that yellow ricordea is really eye catching! Have you come to any decisions on upgrading your light? Everything seems to be working well with your current setup.

Thank you!

Yea I'm holding off for now.   The tank is happy with the kessil and so am I.   Sometimes you just get that itch to change something and well its not always the best idea.

• Like 1

Tank is looking gorgeous! Love following your tank on IG. 

Do you dose at all? I find our tanks are very similar with coral choices and layout, but I have to dose or else my Alk/Ca will consistently drop. Most of my coral are good but Ive lost some zoas and acans. 

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
On 10/2/2018 at 2:01 PM, SaltyBuddha said:

Tank is looking gorgeous! Love following your tank on IG. 

Do you dose at all? I find our tanks are very similar with coral choices and layout, but I have to dose or else my Alk/Ca will consistently drop. Most of my coral are good but Ive lost some zoas and acans. 

Thanks!   Sorry I did not mean to ignore your reply.   For some reason I do not get notifications of new replies on this thread any longer.   

I don't dose any Alk/Ca, but do give a couple drops of Brightwell Coral Amino once a week.    I've noticed my tank does not grow too quickly, nor do I have a lot or any coralline algae in my tank.   I've been tossing around the idea of adding a very small amount of kalkwasser to my topoff to bring up some numbers.   

My numbers are pretty steady:

Temp 79.8

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.0

Calcium 420

Alk 8.3

MG 1380

Maybe if I bump up the Alk and Ca a bit more, thinking CA at 450, and Alk to 8.5, I might get a bit steadier growth.  ?‍♂️

Acan's just don't do well in my tank.   I had a frag that did great for awhile, then just faded to nothing.  Kept the skeleton and over time I've seen some rebound but nothing to what it used to be.   I've kinda given up on acans to be honest.    Zoa's and Paly's do great in my tank and continue to multiply.   I've also seen growth in all of my euphyllia.   What started off as single or two heads have split at least once or twice since putting them into the tank.    

• Like 1