Cultivated Reef

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123

These guys seem to be doing great.   I'm just gonna chalk it up to a bad fish.  Still going to wait a couple weeks before I add any more livestock.  

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

The LFS contacted me last evening about the Royal Gramma I lost.  They are getting a couple in tomorrow and they are going to put one aside for me.  :D

• Like 4
SURVEYMAN46123

New news on the reef.   Earlier this week the diatoms started covering the rocks and sandbed.  So today I picked up a Trochus and a couple cerith Snails today when I picked up my replacement Royal Gramma.  Speaking of he is doing great and my daughters love him.  He still retreats to his cave when someone comes near the tank.  However he is swimming great and going to try and feed him this evening.   

Also yesterday I was given a 2 head frogspawn coral for my first coral.  It's doing well but not fully expanding so I'm not sure what is going on.   It's getting flow but not getting blasted.  Also today I met another local reefer and picked up a colony of 15 watermelon zoa's and a 5 polyp colony of pink zipper zoa's.  They are already opening up and looking great!   

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

Last evening I was checking out one of the rocks the zoa's came onto and noticed something hairy on the bottom of the rock. I placed my hand into the tank and it receded into the rock. Well not chancing anything, I decided to remove the zoa's with a scalpel and place them onto an empty frag disk. I was afraid it might be Apitisa as it looked the part, and it might have been, but I wasn't going to risk it. I checked on the tank before leaving for work and the zoa's were starting to open slightly, so I hope that they make it.  I've also moved the frogspawn into a lower light/lower flow portion of the tank and it has really expanded.  No new photos of that yet.  :)

Anyway onto recent photos.

8_zpsj8kxdl1t.jpg

5_zpsrvhr4mmf.jpg

• Like 3

Good call! I'm a big fan of removing frag plugs whenever possible. Every pest I have in my tanks can be traced directly to a frag plug that I should have removed.

That purple gramma is really pretty - he makes a nice centerpiece for the tank.

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin

I'm a huge fan of no frag plugs in the DT!  they can be distracting for a long time before the coral overgrows it 

especially in a nano

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Good call! I'm a big fan of removing frag plugs whenever possible. Every pest I have in my tanks can be traced directly to a frag plug that I should have removed.

That purple gramma is really pretty - he makes a nice centerpiece for the tank.

I agree.  The only frag plugs in my tank right now are either on my zipper zoa's or the frogspawn.   Also have a plug with coralline that I've put in there to help seed the algae. 

Your instincts were right on with the frogspawn in moving it to lower light/lower flow. 

Looks to me like you're doing all the right things. 

I agree that the Royal Gramma looks great in the tank!!

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Picked up a new coral tonight.  Actually my daughter picked it out and used her own money for it.  She loves trumpet corals and a local reefer had a 25 head colony of blue-green trumpets for 25 bucks.  Couldn't pass it up even if it wasn't something I was planning on keeping.  At the moment it's a bit pissed off at me and let out some strings of whatever.  LOL

Anyway I've placed it in what looks like a good spot and keep an eye on it for the next couple of days.  

https://instagram.com/p/BRt-AXnhK5w/

• Like 2

It's really great to have kids and or spouses involved at that level! My oldest daughter is a senior in college and has been going to the lfs as long as she's been alive. She was home for spring break this week and went to the lfs with me tonight to help pick out new fish. Life is good :)

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

Woke up this morning to my light resting on the screen top again!   This is the third time the IM Skkye Light mount has snapped.   I've glued the mount together with acrylic epoxy twice before and I'll be honest its really starting to wear on me.   How can this light mount be so sh***y?  :mad:  If I had the cash today I would be purchasing a new light and mount for sure.

Anyway here is an updated FTS from this evening before lights went out.   All of the corals received a few squirts of mysis from the turkey baster tonight.   Each one of them accepted and it was awesome to see their feeding responses.   I've also been slowly moving the Frogspawn closer to the front of the tank to get it in a position that I can admire it.   The frags remain on plugs until this coming weekend after a local frag swap.  By then I hope they will be acclimated enough to pop off the plugs and move into a permanent home.

1.thumb.jpg.c910a1183da432472b3ff48a590e788a.jpg

• Like 3
SaltyBuddha

Unfortunate to hear about the fixture issues. I've heard about issues with the light as well. I have a fusion 10 sitting on my dining table waiting to be cycled. Didn't get the Skye light though. I wanted to get the Current USA IC LED because it came with a free powerhead but the deal ended. I had researched it so much I bought it anyways lol 

Awesome frogspawn. I think that is the coral I'm most excited to get. 

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin

well its driving me crazy haha ;)

the OCD in me has to have the glass polished at all times :rolleyes:

its like when people leave the plastic film on electronics. if I see that I rip it off immediately, it's so satisfying!

SURVEYMAN46123

My little frogspawn has been glued to the spot it seemed to like the most, however now it wont expand.  It has been in my tank 2 weeks now and it barely extends its tentacles.  The flow is low and I'm only running the IM 18 watt led light on my tank.  I've had it all over my tank and no where has it show great expansion.  The spot that it is in now showed some positive extension but nothing like you see online. Any thoughts?  The candy cane colony and the frogspawn came from the same tank.   A 260 gallon show tank under 4 AI Hydra Fifty Two's.  Should I add some phosban to the media basket?  Should I add a small powerhead to the tank? If I do go the route of a powerhead what would you suggest?  MP10 is not in my price range mind you.

Also my zoa's and my trumpets seem very happy and readily accept mysis.

Tank is 1.025 SG, dKH:8, Cal:380, and Mg: 1300. 77.5 degrees.

Nitrate, Ammonia, and Nitrite 0

Phosphate <.08

1.jpg

gone_PHiSHin

usually when a frogspawn is retracted it is getting too much flow or too much light, but you say it's in a low flow area, and your light surely isn't too much for it to handle so I'm not sure

I wish I had some advice here but I'd say just wait it out a while longer.  sometimes when a coral gets glued down it can take a bit before it is happy

thats a great piece of caulastrea btw.  high five to your daughter 

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Yea I gotta learn to not over think things and just let things run their course.  I'm just frustrated as the frogspawn is one of my favorite overall corals and I want it to thrive.  

gone_PHiSHin

agreed, love frogspawn.  I have a bicolor variety in my IM10 :D

on second look, it may be a little too close to that caulastrea colony??  it's kind of hard to tell depth from the pic but just a thought.  are you running carbon?

SURVEYMAN46123

It is probably 3 - 3.5" away from the trumpets.   I was thinking of moving it this weekend if that seems to be the case.  

I am running chemi-pure blue which has carbon in it.   

FishWrangler

I have 3 heads of Frogspawn in my fusion 10.....I put it where I wanted it and waited weeks for it to get used the flow and lighting in that spot, be patient and don't move it if you like that placing.

On the other hand, I think it might look nicer on the lower right part of the rocks and its probably too close to the trumpets anyway...and one will have to be moved eventually.

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

I moved the frogspawn this evening to a new spot.  Going to leave it alone and see how it does.  

Also I removed the spin stream this evening and put on the stock return nozzle.  Showing quite a noticeable increase in flow and really helping keep stuff suspended and heading into the overflow.  Also a couple polyps of zoa's who have been closed for awhile opened after I did this.  Going to see how things like it over the weekend.  Saturday I'm attending a local frag swap and hope to find some deals to help fill this tank up.  ??

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

My girls and I attended our first frag swap this afternoon.  Unfortunately I'm not feeling too well so we only stayed about 45 minutes.  As much as I love this hobby, I would have preferred to stay in bed today.  

However we did come home with plenty of frags and I let my daughter choose most of the frags.  Even the free frag of zoa's on an old shell. 

We picked up, dipped and added the frags to our tank.  Now time to sit back and watch things grow out.  Some probably won't do great right away under the current light but there is an upgrade coming in the next month.  

1 Rainbow Monti

1 Sunset Tyree Monti

1 Bi-color Hammer (2 Heads)

1 Yellow Ginoporia 

1 Torch Coral (2 Heads)

1 Kryptonite Trumpet

1 Red Acan (5 heads)

1 Bright Pink Zoa (5-6 polyps)

1 Unknown Zoa (8-9 Polyps)

1 Ricordea Florida Mushroom

1 Rock Flower Anenome

• Like 4