Top Shelf Aquatics

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

On 1/5/2018 at 3:07 AM, Rory282 said:

Have you ever thought about adding a powerhead to the tank or do you find that the spinstream and sicce 0.5 provide enough flow to the tank?

I have almost the exact setup as surveyman but I had a hydor nano and I took it out as it was to much flow for my LPS. If I need more I'll upgrade my sicce as well like surveyman said but as of now everything like the flow combo of the sicce .5 and spin stream 

SURVEYMAN46123

I was given a frag of green montipora spongodes back in early december, but it seems to be dying.   Its been slowly turning white over the past couple of weeks.   During my weekly water change, I removed it from atop the highest rock and placed it within a lower light area to attempt to save it.   Not really expecting it to live but if I can save it, coolio.  Still bummed about the purple torch, however the LFS I purchased it from received a couple last week and is keeping an eye on them for me in a separate tank from the show floor.   He told me that if they continue to look good, he will give me a deal on one of them.   I'm good with that! 

As far as the tank goes, its just chugging along.   I visited a couple LFS' over the weekend, but wasn't impressed with their coral selections.   I'm just going to let the tank be itself for awhile and when I come across something I really want, I will grab it then.   Completely content with just letting it be what it is right now.  Plus the view from the couch is pretty good.

0-1.jpg

0-2.jpg

• Like 2

lots of methods...

peppermint shrimp, if you have lot of them.  Aiptasia X by Red Sea works great.  but honestly i've heard just squirting/injecting them with boiling water works too. 

I've had success with the boiling water and a syringe.  Just get it super hot, and then quickly draw it into a syringe and quickly aim/fire at the aiptasia. 

Oh, I've tried the kalkwasser trick too.  Just mix it up into a thick paste with your water and inject it.  That worked well too. I prefer the kalkwasser trick so I dont' have to risk burning myself. 

yep kalk is the other one i forgot.  i don't use kalkwasser though and i don't think OP does either, so i'd probably just buy some Aiptasia X to have on hand in case more pop up.  it's really easy to use and kills them instantly.  

5 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

yep kalk is the other one i forgot.  i don't use kalkwasser though and i don't think OP does either, so i'd probably just buy some Aiptasia X to have on hand in case more pop up.  it's really easy to use and kills them instantly.  

I bought Kalk, and I have zero idea why I bought it.  I'd be happy to bottle some up and mail it for free if you or OP needs it.  

SURVEYMAN46123

I shot a text over to my LFS owner yesterday asking if he had any peppermint shrimp.   He had a few, so I went down and picked up one.

Put him in the tank last night, and noticed he was screwing with one of my hammer corals, but I assume he was picking out food or any junk he wanted.   I will keep an eye on him and hopefully he does his job.

8 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

I shot a text over to my LFS owner yesterday asking if he had any peppermint shrimp.   He had a few, so I went down and picked up one.

Put him in the tank last night, and noticed he was screwing with one of my hammer corals, but I assume he was picking out food or any junk he wanted.   I will keep an eye on him and hopefully he does his job.

this is why i wouldn't put one in my tank again...i've had bad experiences with them picking at corals.  i spot feed my corals, and shrimp usually just rip the food out of the coral's mouth. 

SURVEYMAN46123

So i bought a bottle of fuel over the weekend and dosed once when I fed Reef roids to the tank.   That was on Monday evening and ever since the tank has looked kinda bleh.  The candy canes aren’t opening as much as usual, the hammer on the top rock isn’t as puffy and my other hammer is so/so.  I’m not certain it is the fuel or something else going on.  All of the parameters are good.  Normal range for my tank.  :shrug:  I’ve considered moving the hammer up top, to the bottom right of the tank behind the frogspawn.  In its place maybe get a Frag of Red and Purple monti chaos and give those a try. 

As for the peppermint shrimp added last night, first look of the tank shows that the aiptasia has been taken care of.   He’s just chilling now under the main rock with the candy cane pistol and Yasha Goby.  

60244896-0BD8-4E1E-A663-05DDCF111946.jpeg

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
Just now, gone_PHiSHin said:

this is why i wouldn't put one in my tank again...i've had bad experiences with them picking at corals.  i spot feed my corals, and shrimp usually just rip the food out of the coral's mouth. 

My hermits do that but I only have two.   The cleaner Shrimp gets Reef roids before the rest of the tank.  

definitely go easy with the fuel at first.  start with half the recommended dosage at most.  too much and you'll at least have an algae bloom in my experience

haha it's not magic in a bottle, you won't see any real changes in less than a week. 

though it seems some have great results, some have none.  

SURVEYMAN46123

I’m sitting here at home looking at my tank and I just don’t know what’s going on.   Seriously baffled.   The candy cane isn’t as fluffy as usual, hammer just looks blah, but most everything else looks normal.  

Pulled my results from my last waterchange, yes I’m slacking it’s a few days past my usual scheduled change.  Here are my results.  

1-10-18

Temp 79.6
Salinity 1.026
PH 8.0
Nitrate 10 PPM
Ammonia 0 PPM

CA 450

Ak 8.6
Mg 1470

1-18-18

Temp 79.3
Salinity 1.026
PH 8.0
Nitrate 10 PPM
Ammonia 0 PPM
Calcium 420
Alk 8.3
MG 1380

I mean I have a drop in Calcium, slight drop in Alk, and a pretty decent drop in MG.  However this is over a 10 day period.  No change in lighting, or huge swings in temp.   The torch corals have been next to the candy cane colony since March of last year.  I just don’t see them starting to sting after almost a year in the tank.  Am I wrong thinking that?  Tentacles have brushed against it all this time with no effect.  

Im just kinda at a loss for words.  Nothing sticks out to be a culprit.  

C7549B9A-40BB-4932-A5E8-0A4A9CC0D45D.jpeg

1169D485-A523-485A-8264-2824F7056845.jpeg

42 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

haha it's not magic in a bottle, you won't see any real changes in less than a week. 

though it seems some have great results, some have none.  

Yea I get that.  I guess what I should have said is that it seems to have pissed stuff off more than anything.   

SURVEYMAN46123
1 hour ago, TatorTaco said:

Have you done a water change since the tank went "blah" on you?  I'd imagine a large water change should turn things around almost immediately. 

I'm planning a large change tonight.   Typically I do 2 gallons weekly, but might do 4 tonight.   Any harm doing that?

37 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

I'm planning a large change tonight.   Typically I do 2 gallons weekly, but might do 4 tonight.   Any harm doing that?

nope, unless your tank's alkalinity is way off from your new saltwater

SURVEYMAN46123
15 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

nope, unless your tank's alkalinity is way off from your new saltwater

Shouldn't be.   My alk barely fluctuates.   If it does its a couple points here and there.

SURVEYMAN46123
11 hours ago, Droy008 said:

Are you running carbon in your tank?

I had the same problem when I was running carbon, took it out and a week later the tank loomed 100% better.

I run chemi-pure Blue Nano in my tank.  It has carbon in it but I’ve always ran it.  

I did a large waterchange this evening.  Scrubbed the rear chambers, and emptied them, scrubbed the pump and return tube as well.  Then removed 2 gallons from the display after stirring the sand and blowing off the rocks.  Examined my trumpet colony and left it in place.  Adjusted the rock the torch corals sit on so they wouldn’t be touching.  Looks like I may loose a head or two on the trumpets but they may bounce back.

As my water was mixing and heating up I fed the tank and corals.  My candy canes love the mysis I feed once a week and they really puffed up.  Everything looked brighter and happier after an hour or so after the WC.  I will keep an eye on things and maybe do one more small WC before I leave for a few days.  

sounds like you did exactly what i would have done.  i bet a simple feeding/cleaning/water change is all the tank needed. although i like to run all my tests for tank parameters before and after a WC when things don't look right, to see if the numbers can help me make a correlation. 

i love the way it feels/looks after a really good cleaning and water change!

SURVEYMAN46123

Today things looked a thousand times better. Still working on trying to figure out how to get my hammers and frogspawn to be a bit fluffier.   Similar to what Queenofreef on instagram has going on.   

Anyway my children and I visited one of the few LFS’ in town.  They have a 10 dollar Frag tank and I was drooling over a few things, but since I’m leaving for a week soon I only purchased one thing.   Something I’ve been debating on for a while.   A Monti Cap.  We will see what happens.  I know they are hardy and these frags were from a colony kept under Kessil lights.   

• Like 2