Top Shelf Aquatics

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123

Updated the original post with a new FTS shot.   Below are a couple new photos as well.

Rapunzel and Flynn the Clowns and their candy cane coral colony.

IMG_4885.thumb.JPG.8b3f607b9e0b29c089a8be897048835c.JPG

IMG_4899.thumb.JPG.98988933cfa861a625733bcde5ef8edf.JPG

IMG_4905.thumb.JPG.1667c859ca40ae92f828e9289ca6469f.JPG

IMG_4908.thumb.JPG.e8217541861ed7a8c5a8d765d80ae6db.JPG

• Like 5
SURVEYMAN46123
48 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Looks great! Seems like the hammer is doing better?

Thanks Teeny!   Actually that is a different hammer frag there on the bottom.   The other hammer is in my office tank, however its still not doing great.   I'm afraid its a lost cause.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Day 249, and things are rolling along.  Haven't posted much as I haven't made many changes honestly.   My office tank has been shut down and the coral that I had placed in there are back in this tank.  The hammer coral (center of pic Center of rocks) are starting to bounce back.  Color is coming back and it seems to be quite happy in that spot.  I have noticed some vermited Snails but they are not bothering my coral.  I'll keep an eye on that and pluck them off when I see the need.  Also the palys in the lower right corner are on a shell. They were given to me at a Frag swap and seem to be thriving.  However upon returning home from a vacation I noticed some bubble algae on the shell.  I removed the shell and palys from the tank and plucked the bubbles off.  Rinsed the Frag in some tank water and placed it back in the tank.  That's about the extent of things.  

The sicce .5 pump and spinstream are working great.  Provides a good random flow and my torches seem to love it.  I don't believe I'll be placing an extra powerhead in the tank.  Still have yet to hook up the macro algae reactor.  Just running filter floss and chemi-pure blue.  Kessil A80 at 100% intensity and 50% color.  Light feedings daily reef roids once a week, and change out the floss daily.   2 gallon waterchange and vacuuming the sand once a week.  I clean out the back chamber and scrub the pump once a month.  

Okay im rambling.... sorry. 

• Like 4
58 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Pondering a switch to a lagoon 25......

haha the upgrade contemplation is almost inevitable

the 25 lagoon is one of my favorite size tanks

some things will transfer over but it'll be a decent chunk of change to get it going...tank, light, and more rock being the big ones

SURVEYMAN46123
1 hour ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

haha the upgrade contemplation is almost inevitable

the 25 lagoon is one of my favorite size tanks

some things will transfer over but it'll be a decent chunk of change to get it going...tank, light, and more rock being the big ones

Yea I'm just pondering the idea now.   If I do decide to do it, I will slowly acquire items so the switch will be seamless.

We will see.  For now I'm going to keep enjoying this tank.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Yea I'm just pondering the idea now.   If I do decide to do it, I will slowly acquire items so the switch will be seamless.

We will see.  For now I'm going to keep enjoying this tank.

I currently have both and they are both great tanks! im doing a softie lps tank on the 25 and lps sps on the 10.

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

So I'm really struggling on what my next couple of corals should be.   I want to keep it either softies or LPS, not ready to go into SPS land.   I want some more blues, purples, reds, and oranges in this tank to help it "pop" more.   Anyone have any suggestions?

Christopher Marks

Zoanthids, ricordea, or acans all fall into those hues for your color palate. With all the sweeping tentacles in the tank, you really need things that can fill in the nooks.

How is the hammer doing on the sand bed? Any plans to move it?

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

The hammer in the sand bed has been down there since July.   It always seems happy, but I have been thinking of putting it on top of the rock in the the center to see how it does.

SURVEYMAN46123

I have close to a month and a half of salt left in my bucket and I'm thinking of switching it up a bit.   I'm using IO Salt.    Any suggestions?

i switched from RSCP to Fritz RPM about 4-5 months ago because my ALK was getting too high with RSCP.  Fritz is great, would recommend.  it mixes clear very quickly, love the params it mixes to, and i can get a 55lb box locally for $45 on sale.  perfect salt for me currently, i don't have any reason to try anything else.

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Thanks @gone_PHiSHin !   I'll take a look at that this evening.

As far as the tank goes, I moved the hammer that was on the sandbed to atop the rock.  It seems to like it up there!   I may move the Acans that are on the sandbed and find a nice small orange plate coral to put down there.  

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123

Thanks @teenyreef that's means a lot coming from the NUVO 10 king.  

Actually thanks to everyone that has followed and helped with any questions I have had.   This forum has been a huge help.   The knowledge shared on here gave me confidence starting my first Nano.   It's not perfect or this stunning reef we see in the tank of the month posts.  However I love it and I love sharing photos of it with you all!

• Like 2
On 12/2/2017 at 7:24 PM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Actually thanks to everyone that has followed and helped with any questions I have had.   This forum has been a huge help.   The knowledge shared on here gave me confidence starting my first Nano.   It's not perfect or this stunning reef we see in the tank of the month posts.  However I love it and I love sharing photos of it with you all!

I've seen your tank on NR and IG and enjoy seeing it every time.  Even if you didn't get TOTM with this tank, it has certainly been a solid reference for others who consider the IM10 and it's possibilities. 

I'd love to see a brief video facing the front of then tank.  I'm sure that pictures don't give the euphilia's movement justice. 

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
8 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I've seen your tank on NR and IG and enjoy seeing it every time.  Even if you didn't get TOTM with this tank, it has certainly been a solid reference for others who consider the IM10 and it's possibilities. 

I'd love to see a brief video facing the front of then tank.  I'm sure that pictures don't give the euphilia's movement justice. 

Thanks man, I really appreciate that!   In my opinion I still have a long way to go with it!

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Met up with a local reefer last night, and he gave me a small rock of GSP.   I peeled off a few pieces and glued it to the back of my tank.   Also was given a small frag of Spongodes Monti.   I'm starting to run out of room, but so many more corals I want!!!!   LOL

Pissed my corals off last night placing things, so I don't have a great photo to share at this moment.

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

So a little bump in the road occurred this evening.  When I arrived home from work I noticed the Spinstream nozzle wasn’t turning and there were a lot of micro bubbles in the display.   My ATO float did not trigger the pump and the second chamber was pretty empty.  So I unplugged the ATO and pump then checked everything.  When I plugged the ATO back in it filled the chamber, however my Sicce 0.5 wasn’t pumping.   

Since we were leaving for dinner and a hockey game, I had to improvise so there would be some flow within the tank.  I pulled out the Sicce, and planned on adding the stock pump back into the tank.  Nope, that wasn’t gonna work...  The tube had been stretched by the sicce pump to tube adapter, or whatever you call it.   So that meant the back chamber was pretty uslesses.   So the heater went into the display along with the pump.  

I was stressed about it all evening.  Upon returning home I decided to give the pump a look over too see if something was stuck in it or if it just needed a good cleaning.  Well unfortunately cleaning it and checking all that I could wasn’t going to work.   The pump is dead.  

Ugh....   So my little Nano is gonna be a bit ugly these next couple days until my replacement pump arrives.  I just hope my Corals and fish remain happy until Tuesday evening.  

I mean i have heat, live rock, and circulation.  I should be okay right?

??