SaltCritters.com

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123
7 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

If it were me, I'd feed him food soaked in garlic and not add any new fish for a bit. 

How would that treat the issue of ich already being in the tank?   It would treat my gramma, but as long as he is in there the ich will have something to host on down the road.  

I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.   One I don't want the fish to suffer and pass away.   Two, I don't have the room for a quarantine tank to give him the proper treatment and the tank to be fallow for 8-10 weeks to allow the ICH to die off.

:/

21 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

How would that treat the issue of ich already being in the tank?   It would treat my gramma, but as long as he is in there the ich will have something to host on down the road.  

I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.   One I don't want the fish to suffer and pass away.   Two, I don't have the room for a quarantine tank to give him the proper treatment and the tank to be fallow for 8-10 weeks to allow the ICH to die off.

:/

It strengthens their immune system and helps them to fight it off. 

In human terms, think of it like you having a really bad cold or the flu and taking immune boosters to help your body fight it and recover. 

I have successfully done this to get rid of ich on fish in my tank. 

It helps that he's eating well, and you'd still have to wait a while to add new stuff, but it allows you to deal with it in your tank. 

It's not a surefire thing, but it works for your situation and like I said, I've done it successfully before. 

Soaking food in something like this product is what I'm talking about: https://premiumaquatics.com/products/garlic-guard-250-ml.html

SURVEYMAN46123
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

It strengthens their immune system and helps them to fight it off. 

In human terms, think of it like you having a really bad cold or the flu and taking immune boosters to help your body fight it and recover. 

I have successfully done this to get rid of ich on fish in my tank. 

It helps that he's eating well, and you'd still have to wait a while to add new stuff, but it allows you to deal with it in your tank. 

It's not a surefire thing, but it works for your situation and like I said, I've done it successfully before. 

Soaking food in something like this product is what I'm talking about: https://premiumaquatics.com/products/garlic-guard-250-ml.html

Gotcha, but without removing the fish or it passing away the ich will always be there.  :(

I'm trying to see if I could find a 5-10 gallon tank cheap and set it up in my office for a quarantine tank.   Is it necessary to have a HOB filter or could I just run an air pump and stone?

5 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Gotcha, but without removing the fish or it passing away the ich will always be there.  :(

I'm trying to see if I could find a 5-10 gallon tank cheap and set it up in my office for a quarantine tank.   Is it necessary to have a HOB filter or could I just run an air pump and stone?

I honestly have never run a fish QT tank, but I'd think you could do just an air pump and stone. 

What will you use to process fish waste though?

Also, as another thought, what about running a UV sterilizer on the regular tank to kill ICH in the water?

SURVEYMAN46123

Yea true, I dont know what I would do about the waste.   :/

Doing research on a UV sterilizer it doesn't look like that would be a fix.   Keeping a tank fallow looks to be the only option. 

SURVEYMAN46123

I appreciate your suggestions Weetabix7!

Sadly I don't think the Gramma will make it through the day.  My wife sent me a photo of him just perched on the rock.   She said he is breathing hard and barely moving.  :(

SURVEYMAN46123

Well I came home this evening from work and found him stuck to the overflow.  I guess he wasn't as healthy as I once thought.  :/  So that's two Royal Gramma's that have passed away in my care.   I'm gonna keep going but sure enough no new fish for 10-12 weeks to be sure. By then some of these coral will have hopefully grown and things are looking better.  

RIP little guy.  Man this hobby is tough.  

I'm down but I'm not giving up yet!

SURVEYMAN46123
On 4/3/2017 at 10:02 PM, teenyreef said:

Sorry about the gramma :(

Me too Teeny, me too.  :(

Here is a recent FTS from Monday.

2vhwzdl.jpg

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
25 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Those Candycanes are really loving life in there!!

They do seem very happy, along with the Acans.   The Euphuyllia is doing well also.   I haven't seen any growth out of any of the corals yet, but I also haven't lost anything.   I think when I do get around upgrading the lighting things will really start to flourish.

• Like 2
gone_PHiSHin

i agree, i'm pretty sure i've said it before but i think you would love (as well as your corals!) having a better light on there.  i know, all it takes is money!

are you spot feeding your corals at all?

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Yea I need to put a little more aside for the light.   I’m doing a lot of traveling in the next couple of months so most of my budget has gone towards that.  :/

I’m also very indecisive when it comes to lighting.  I’ve narrowed down my search to an AI Prime or the Kessil A80.   I just don’t know what I want to use.   Both have pros and cons for sure.

Yes I spot feed.  Going to pick up some reef roids soon to mix it up.

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin

i'm a huge fan of the Nanobox Mini Tide Plus M but i understand that's a little pricey.  the color pop is amazing in my opinion

SURVEYMAN46123

I have some lazy Snails for sure and plenty of pods.   I need to get rid of some of these Snails and get some better cleaners.  ?

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

Well things are going well in my tank, however the rocks are covered in green algae.  It's not slime/film algae and I cannot scrub it off with an old toothbrush.  I'm not sure if it's good or bad.  I've read of green coralline algae but I would think I'd see it on the glass too.  Phosphates are a bit high so I think I'm going to get some phosban and add it to the media basket.  At least help lower the phosphates.  I've also reduced the time the lights are on to 6 hours a day.  They have been on 9 for the past few weeks.  

Lastly my little jar of Reef Roids arrived today and I decided to do a small feeding this evening before the water change.   I spot fed all of my corals and they seemed to enjoy it.  The plan is to feed twice a week and spot feed the acan mysis once a week.  I counted 8 heads this evening on the Acan.   It's obviously liking the tank as I brought it home 2 weeks ago and it only had 6.  ??

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry about the green too much, it doesn't look like dangerous algae to me. 

I see alotta happy corals, so you must be doing something right!!

I agree, I've had it before and from what I can tell I think it was green coralline. It didn't last long I think less than a month. Too bad, it was pretty. 

• 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Noting new with the tank.  My wife recently had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor on her thyroid and her thyroid.  So safe to say the tank is on autopilot.  I still do gallon water changes weekly and feed the corals but that is it.  Everything is happy and I'm starting to see new heads on the zoa's and Acans.  However the Goni did not survive.  

In two weeks I'm going to reef-a-palooza, as I'll be in town for work.  Hoping to find some deals on a few things I'd like to grab.  Thinking of picking up a small jar of kalkwasser and some more chemi pure.  Also hoping I can get a deal on a light but that might not be in the cards.  Anyway just thought I'd pop in and give a quick update.