Cultivated Reef

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

• 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Hey everyone.   I don’t update this post enough and it feels like I told a bomb of a joke and the air is sucked out of the thread……  LOL  Been a busy past couple of months with work, COVID, and my weight loss journey.   So the tank has been pretty much the last thing I have focused on.   Still stay up to date on waterchanges, and keep an eye on things, but not as much as I was in the past.   I miss tinkering with the tank, and just sitting back and enjoying it.   The coral list has been updated for anyone interested.

Anyway, been toying with various ideas for this tank, and/or a future tank.   I’ve always wanted to pack this tank full, similar to @teenyreef and @Cannedfish.   This might be what ends up happening as I’m hesitant to start a new tank, and I also can’t find a good used lagoon tank either.   Something sentimental about just keeping this tank going, and that fear of effing up a new tank runs through my head often.    There has also been that thought of more water, means more money.   The waterchanges on this tank are so damn easy.   Also the thought of selling off all the coral and getting out of the hobby creeps into the brain from time to time.   Thankfully that hasn’t taken hold on this weak little brain of mine.  

For this tank I have my eye on a grim reaper torch, that I will probably put on its own rock in the lower right front corner.   Maybe cover that base with some easy to care for zoas.  There are a couple other favia’s and zoa’s I would like to add as well.  Maybe add a bubble gum digi eventually as well.   Eventually I want to remove the tube anemone, it’s just not what I want, damn impulse purchases.    After I add those I would like to add another fish one of these days.   My daughter wants another Tailspot Blenny, but my LFS cant get ahold of one.  

I’ll add some photos for those that are interested.   Not much has changed, but a book without pictures is boring.   Shit there goes evidence of my weak little brain again.

IMG_6366.jpg

IMG_6368.jpg

IMG_6370.jpg

• Like 2

Your tank is looking great!  I totally hear you regarding "upgrading" to a bigger tank = more money and work.  I recently went from a 48g to a 100g and now find myself wanting to go back to the smaller form factor to keep it simple and have a reef that is more scaled to our living room rather then some giant tank!

Cheers

SURVEYMAN46123
30 minutes ago, Zuma said:

Your tank is looking great!  I totally hear you regarding "upgrading" to a bigger tank = more money and work.  I recently went from a 48g to a 100g and now find myself wanting to go back to the smaller form factor to keep it simple and have a reef that is more scaled to our living room rather then some giant tank!

Cheers

Yea I'm all about keeping things simple.   Wouldn't be much additional work with a 25 gallon, but all that money to fill it up kinda makes my wallet want to grow legs and run away.

• Haha 2
SURVEYMAN46123

Lately I have been having much more film algae than in the past.   I rarely feed my tank (corals), and when I do its usually an hour or so before a waterchange.   Last week I did a 4 gallon change yet here I am on a Tuesday with the same issues as last week.   Nothing new has been added to the tank, and all but 2 corals look healthy and happy as heck.   Thoughts?

It’s hard to make sense of such small changes sometimes. Even if you think you know what went wrong... you could actually be wrong! If you were monitoring your parameters constantly maybe you could notice some change. 
The tank looks absolutely amazing and I’m planning to use it as a guide for my own build. Care to share your lightning schedule?

SURVEYMAN46123
48 minutes ago, bbetta said:

It’s hard to make sense of such small changes sometimes. Even if you think you know what went wrong... you could actually be wrong! If you were monitoring your parameters constantly maybe you could notice some change. 
The tank looks absolutely amazing and I’m planning to use it as a guide for my own build. Care to share your lightning schedule?

Yea for sure.   That is one thing I fail at, cause I'm a lazy a$$ basically.  😄

My lighting schedule is pretty basic.   Only thing I have changed is removing all whites from my schedule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
SURVEYMAN46123

I believe I'm dealing with a diatom issue here.   I do not get any film on the glass overnight but during the day I do.   I have been advised to just keep doing waterchanges and it should pass in time.   

I also have a couple spots of GHA that I'm going to dab some Hydrogen Peroxide on during my next water change.   Hopefully that will kill it off.

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Lost by beautiful ORA birdsnest yesterday.   Accidentally dropped it onto the hammer coral over the weekend and was going to frag off the good pieces last night, but it was gone before I got home.   Damn bummer as it was beautiful, but it is what it is I guess.   

Today I'm picking up some new corals though.   It's gonna be a haul and this tank is gonna be packed!  Some are coming from an old member here, and some that my LFS got ahold of for me.   Excited to show them off in the next few days.

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123

Picked up a haul of corals yesterday and other goodies.   Excited to show them off when the tank gets settled and I find permanent homes for all the corals.

An Instagram celebrity met up with me and generously gave me:

A jar of Coral Frenzy

Nano Flipper

Real Reef rock rubble

Intank Media Basket

Keds Reds Zoas

Mandarin Orange Zoas

Gobstopper Palys

Nirvana Palys

Rainbow Clove Polyps

Grandis Palys

I also picked up from my LFS:

2 Heads of Grim Reaper Torch

Yellow Submarine Favia

Saturday I'm picking up:

Spicy Lemon Favia

Bubblegum Digitata

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
SURVEYMAN46123
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

Oh, you fancy! 😂 happy bday, I think that’s what @Lawnman was posting on his story. 

Haha maybe.   Thank you for the birthday wishes.   🙂

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

Well here are a couple newer photos of the tank.   I've placed the corals and also put in some more rock.   The new rock and gives me a little more room to add a few more corals in the future.

Lost the Red Digi over the weekend too, but have yet to remove the skeleton.   I've also added another carbon and phosphate pad to the media basket to help with phosphates and clarity.   The chemi-pure is a good product, but I just need a little more for now.   I will update my coral list for anyone interested.

14.thumb.jpg.d0b69e9670159ecc92da8575fada3673.jpg

15.thumb.jpg.a131da49225052d6407baf4a3b85d156.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 3

I just read the last few pages of this thread and have to say your tank is an inspiration.  I love all of the colors and textures in it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
SURVEYMAN46123
7 hours ago, kimdawg said:

I just read the last few pages of this thread and have to say your tank is an inspiration.  I love all of the colors and textures in it.

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words and your time to read my drivel.   

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Well I think this will be the last update for awhile here and on instagram.   I want to see some growth over a few months before I share anymore photos.    So here are some views of the new corals, and what the tank looks like right now.   Take care everyone, stay safe, and see everyone in a few months!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
SURVEYMAN46123

As I've progressed in this hobby I have really learned to love favia's more and more.   I currently have 4.   Slow growers, but pack such a wonderful amount of coloring.

Here is my attempt to be like @Cannedfish and take pretty photos.   I will be honest, I am no where close to the photos produced by cannedfish.   These are two are the newest additions, a pineapple express/yellow submarine and a spicy lemon.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
SURVEYMAN46123

Some new Zoas came today.   I’ll update my coral list soon. 

bowtie bowsers

salted agave

wwwc Illuminati 

frozen Mohican 

B475C510-4F78-499A-A8EE-34FB1C17F94C.jpeg

5CF8DB47-8917-46A9-A2E7-012CE08C99CD.jpeg

208AAE5A-49B5-4DC3-94F7-FDBB7D44107D.jpeg

8324C4C8-816E-4B6A-A157-D9121550C0B6.jpeg

65B4E9A1-BF30-4EF5-B533-8BDC612448F5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Okay quick question.   I have a few different zoa's that seem to get pissed off easily.   Mainly my rainbow infusion palys, and utter chaos.    I do not see anything on them (bugs, algae, etc.) but they close up for days on end.   I've also had some in the past that never open back up.   Everything else seems happy and healthy but these two just seem ticked off always.

Thoughts?

Christopher Marks
On 7/16/2020 at 11:16 AM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Okay quick question.   I have a few different zoa's that seem to get pissed off easily.   Mainly my rainbow infusion palys, and utter chaos.    I do not see anything on them (bugs, algae, etc.) but they close up for days on end.   I've also had some in the past that never open back up.   Everything else seems happy and healthy but these two just seem ticked off always.

Thoughts?

Honestly I would just relocate them and see if they acclimate better in different light or flow. The hardest part of keeping so many zoanthids and palys is that they really won't all like the same conditions equally, sometimes the best bet is to relocate and try again.

On 7/21/2020 at 8:02 AM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

ATO Stuck on yesterday and covered the floor in water.  😑

Dude that sucks! Hopefully the mess isn't too bad. 😞 How's the tank doing?

SURVEYMAN46123
On 7/24/2020 at 1:34 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Honestly I would just relocate them and see if they acclimate better in different light or flow. The hardest part of keeping so many zoanthids and palys is that they really won't all like the same conditions equally, sometimes the best bet is to relocate and try again.

Dude that sucks! Hopefully the mess isn't too bad. 😞 How's the tank doing?

Yea I've done that too with no positive outcome. 

The mess was pretty nasty.   A bout a gallon spilled all over the cabinet and floor.    As for the tank, its not doing great either.   Between the pump constantly producing micro bubbles, my interest, and the frustrations with the corals, this tank is on its last days.    I've said that in the past, but I really feel like its time to move on.    Been a fun ride, but I don't need another frustration in my life.

• Sad 2
  • 3 months later...