SaltCritters.com

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

Colors look great - my birdsnest is always losing color as it grows (good color on tips but not the rest, you seem to have kept all the color on yours. I don’t know what causes mine to bleach like it does

another coral I thought of for you - maybe consider a pipe organ ?

SURVEYMAN46123
1 hour ago, Pbh said:

Colors look great - my birdsnest is always losing color as it grows (good color on tips but not the rest, you seem to have kept all the color on yours. I don’t know what causes mine to bleach like it does

another coral I thought of for you - maybe consider a pipe organ ?

I'll be honest I just threw it in there, and hoped for the best.   So far so good.  🤷‍♂️

I haven't thought about those really.   However I have seen them and they do look great.   I would be worried they would take over.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Picked up a few new zoas from a local reefer today but it will have to wait until I reveal those.  

here are a couple new photos though.  

58AB5555-E1AB-4BD0-B20A-25456FEC8438.jpeg

82A19D85-C3E4-4E0D-8096-3CBB5B53ADB4.jpeg

EAA5D90A-6DD5-4BA6-BA86-D24C87123816.jpeg

988357D4-D968-4E5C-AB07-68E754CC1BD8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123
On 3/26/2020 at 2:51 PM, dferrari13 said:

What do you dose?

I don't dose at all.

I do feed coral amino when I feed the corals.

On 3/30/2020 at 1:10 PM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

I don't dose at all.

I do feed coral amino when I feed the corals.

Same here

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Dealing with a small patch of what I believe is cyano.  Not sure what the best route to remove is.   Lights off for a couple days, multiple waterchanges, chemiclean?   

On 4/2/2020 at 9:57 AM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Last night I also lost my colony of Rainbow Hornets.    Just melted away over a couple days.  😞

So strange how that happens sometimes....out of nowhere and all the rest of the corals are fine

On 4/1/2020 at 10:17 PM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Dealing with a small patch of what I believe is cyano.  Not sure what the best route to remove is.   Lights off for a couple days, multiple waterchanges, chemiclean?   

Is your CUC not keeping up with it?   Maybe try adding a few more snails or refreshing your CUC first.  

SURVEYMAN46123
On 4/3/2020 at 11:04 PM, dferrari13 said:

So strange how that happens sometimes....out of nowhere and all the rest of the corals are fine

Yea I don't get it.   Oh well.

On 4/4/2020 at 9:35 AM, SeaFurn said:

Is your CUC not keeping up with it?   Maybe try adding a few more snails or refreshing your CUC first.  

Nope, lazy bastards.    I would add more, but COVID-19 ya know.   😞

19 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

in my experience the best way to combat cyano is more flow

I've upped the flow in the tank.   Removed the spinstream nozzle and turned the sicce 1.0 all the way up.    I've also decided to try out chemiclean just in case there is something in the rockwork I am unable to see.

• 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Hope everyone is staying safe out there.    

Nothing new is going on with the tank.   Had some cyano issues a couple weeks back, and upped the flow to keep it away.  The additional flow really pissed off the acans and sadly I have lost them.   The cyano took out the rainbow hornets too, which was a bummer, but life goes on.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Newest top down of my little nano.

Lost the rainbow hornets due to the cyano issues I had a while back, and I also lost some flesh on the yellow favia because of the cyano.   Decided to get that frag off of the sand and glued it to the rockwork.   

Top Down 4-21-20.jpg

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123

Video from today.  Things are really coloring up nicely, getting good growth on the new Zoas, and I haven’t killed the SPS yet!   LOL

Only issue is the yellow favia. Starting to loose some flesh.  Not sure if it was the cyano outbreak or something else.  If it was an alk swing I feel I would see other corals with issues.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

Amazing as always! 

You’re gonna have to share your zoa tips with me. Those things are so temperamental for me. 

I feel like there’s always a delay in seeing the impact of an alk swing in my tank. Hopefully that’s not the case for you.

Rock on with the SPS!

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
10 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Amazing as always! 

You’re gonna have to share your zoa tips with me. Those things are so temperamental for me. 

I feel like there’s always a delay in seeing the impact of an alk swing in my tank. Hopefully that’s not the case for you.

Rock on with the SPS!

Lets hope there is not a delay.   Actually this favia has been showing this issue for a week or so now.   

As for the zoa's, its so hit or miss.   Paly's grow so much quicker for me, which is what is in front of the tank.   The only thing I do for my corals is feed once or twice a week depending on how lazy I am, and use brightwell coral amino.   

I was always afraid of SPS, but I seem to being doing great with these.   Maybe cause they are easy strains or I'm a MASTER!   LOL

• Like 2

It’s always so annoying when a coral doesn’t do well and you don’t know why. My acan has been retracted for 10 days or so, can’t figure out why at all after testing parameters. I’m gonna try dosing iodine after someone suggested it but who knows if that will help 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
17 hours ago, Pbh said:

It’s always so annoying when a coral doesn’t do well and you don’t know why. My acan has been retracted for 10 days or so, can’t figure out why at all after testing parameters. I’m gonna try dosing iodine after someone suggested it but who knows if that will help 🤷‍♂️

Yea, I've had corals healthy one week, and then the next week out of the blue they are dead.   🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

And just like that the acan is bouncing back!

I really appreciate when successful people talk about coral and fish losses, it helps normalize it!

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123
10 hours ago, Pbh said:

And just like that the acan is bouncing back!

I really appreciate when successful people talk about coral and fish losses, it helps normalize it!

None of us are perfect.   Some of us just choose to share to help others.   

🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

A few newer photos just cause.   Growth is steady, and hopefully this rock is covered by the end of the year.  

656E682A-EFD8-47C2-98B6-4E263C9FEDC9.jpeg

5E2FEEDA-0E9D-4A08-8BB1-5ACB94737DF8.jpeg

0175CF06-3CC0-459A-A3C9-17A2D04A2236.jpeg

15BC7405-D57E-4325-96B0-A2262A1D2704.jpeg

6477CD11-E2EA-43DD-B9D9-28808A17A2E0.jpeg

8EDB2BC2-DC6C-42C9-BEDC-786AAF3C9EEE.jpeg

A7C31372-EFFD-4543-96F7-71B8BFA38F8B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1