ReefCleaners.org

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123

I'm looking for a few more zoas and maybe couple favias to add to this tank.   I've really started to enjoy favias as of late, and they are doing well in my tank too.

Suggestions to those following along?

1 hour ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Suggestions to those following along?

Leptoseris 👌

Brightest coral I have is a lepto. They're good at filling in the rocks.

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
1 hour ago, Joevember said:

Leptoseris 👌

Brightest coral I have is a lepto. They're good at filling in the rocks.

yep I agree.   I have a little jack-o-lantern in my tank.   

• 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Don’t have anything to share but new photos.   Picked up a polyplab lens kit from a friend so photos might get a bit better.  🤣🤣

C5959D62-3802-442E-AA89-328511DD1A72.jpeg

855D6F02-B2F4-4DE3-B647-2EA54347C898.jpeg

B8787160-E81F-4309-9C7D-275054DFC7EC.jpeg

AB410584-349A-4F80-8B2B-020448570C72.jpeg

5942457A-3278-422D-8C34-06EDBB80D91A.jpeg

00503457-1AF1-4377-B172-55150FFBA12D.jpeg

• Like 7
SURVEYMAN46123
19 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Looking amazing! So glad you got your reefing mojo back late last year.

Are you still just using the Sicce .5 and the spin stream for flow? 

Thanks!

I upgraded to the 1.0 pump and still using the spinstream.   

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
On 1/31/2020 at 4:47 PM, dannyk35 said:

Your tank really shows what you can do with a Nuvo 10. I can't wait for mine to be farther along!

Thanks for the kind words!   

Be patient and I'm certain yours will look fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

My local frag swap is in a month and looking forward to looking at some frags, and hopefully finding a few to help fill out the tank.   Everything is doing great and showing growth.   I was very hesitant adding the SPS in the beginning, fearing I would kill off the frags, but they are doing well.   No intention of adding anymore in the future, but happy to know I can keep them, even if they are the hardy types.   

I'm leaning towards adding a couple more frags of zoa varieties and maybe another favia or two.

Here are some recent photos.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.jpg

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

My ATO failed last night so I’m in the market for a replacement.   Does anyone have any suggestions?   Looking to purchase soon.  

Besides that this little tank turns 3 this weekend.   It’s been a journey and hopefully many more years to come.  

02D2EEE1-CF2F-47C8-B1B9-741ABD6EE046.jpeg

• Like 4

I have both the AutoAqua Smart ATO micro (on my 45g now but previously on my IM14) and the XPAqua Duetto (on my 2.5g).  Both are super small and mine have worked flawlessly.

Happy Early Tank Birthday!

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
34 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I have both the AutoAqua Smart ATO micro (on my 45g now but previously on my IM14) and the XPAqua Duetto (on my 2.5g).  Both are super small and mine have worked flawlessly.

Happy Early Tank Birthday!

Thank you!   I will take a look at these.

• Like 1

i second the AutoAqua Smart. i’ve had it for years and all i need to do is soak the sensor in a little vinegar once in a while to keep it clean.  

glad to see the tank is still looking great!

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
12 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i second the AutoAqua Smart. i’ve had it for years and all i need to do is soak the sensor in a little vinegar once in a while to keep it clean.  

glad to see the tank is still looking great!

Awesome, and thank you!

SURVEYMAN46123
25 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Oh no! 😭 What happened? 

Is everything else ok? 

No idea.  One day it was open and happy.   Looking healthy, next day this.   😞

• Sad 1
SURVEYMAN46123

I still haven’t replaced the ATO on this tank.   I was hopefully tunze would give me a hand, but no one was willing to work with me.   The response was “send us the pump we will test it, but most likely that is the issue.”  Just buy another pump is their “fix”.   That isn’t the issue, because I can hook the pump up to a 9 volt and it works just fine.   It’s the controller/board/little black box that is shot, but they don’t want to help me with that.   The decision has been made to no longer use any of their products and no longer recommend them to anyone that asks.   The “buy something we stock” over the lack of willingness to help a customer has pushed me away.   They jumped straight to that instead of troubleshooting with me, and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Still pretty bummed about loosing the blue hammer, but I’m moving forward.   The initial idea was to replace it with another hammer coral or frogspawn/octospawn, but I’ve started to waver from that idea.  I have really loved keeping euphyllia, but I think this is the final straw in this adventure.   Been burned too many times.  So what do you put in that big hole?   This has always caused me the most anxiety in this hobby.   What do you place in certain spots to avoid coral warfare, and make it look natural.   Seriously I have had this minor issue bother me more than it should.     I have really started to enjoy keeping favias as of late, and have had success, but those sweepers…   Then there is that route of throwing an encrusting coral in there, but I like something with a little movement and that tends to grow quicker.    SPS, no I have what I’m going to keep SPS wise and no more in this tank.   So I guess that leaves zoas/palys.   They grow quickly, come in various colors, and have a little movement with them in the right flow.    That is the next step in this tanks progress, and in two weeks I’m going to throw some cash towards zoas at my clubs frag swap.  

What do you think?

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
44 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

The zoas you have now look fantastic so try a different color.

Thank you.

I've been looking for some Miami Vice Zoas but no one local has the strain.    I have reserved on reeftrader, Gobstoppers, Blue Eyed Blondies, and Pink Ring of Death's.    

• Like 2

I’d consider a Duncan coral or an ora red Goni (they are supposed to be easier than most goniopora). Both give flowy motion like euphyllia. The Duncan is more peaceful but less colorful, the Goni can hurt nearby coral with extra long tentacles but doesn’t really have sweepers, it’s biggest issue is that it grows kinda like an encrusting coral so it could take over I guess, but if it does... it’s a beautiful coral.

anither idea would be a toadstool, beautiful motion, won’t take over exactly but you’ll have to frag  it eventually 

• Thanks 1
SURVEYMAN46123
5 hours ago, Pbh said:

I’d consider a Duncan coral or an ora red Goni (they are supposed to be easier than most goniopora). Both give flowy motion like euphyllia. The Duncan is more peaceful but less colorful, the Goni can hurt nearby coral with extra long tentacles but doesn’t really have sweepers, it’s biggest issue is that it grows kinda like an encrusting coral so it could take over I guess, but if it does... it’s a beautiful coral.

anither idea would be a toadstool, beautiful motion, won’t take over exactly but you’ll have to frag  it eventually 

I had a Duncan in the past and it would just never act happy in my tank and goni’s just don’t interest me.   I have thought about moving my toadstool to that area but it would block the view of the hammers.   

thanks for the suggestions they are appreciated.  

as for my ATO I’m thinking the Duetto will be purchased this weekend.   However the AutoAQUA lite is pretty intriguing.  

SURVEYMAN46123

The Duetto arrived last evening and I threw it onto the tank.  The pump is extremely quiet.  Didn’t even know it was pumping water until I heard it dumping into the third chamber.  My old tunze you could hear the pump from the kitchen.

anyway here are some newish photos.   Frag swap coming up next weekend and have already purchased some frags.  Hoping to find a couple more on my list and get this little tank packed and filling out.   Just not where I want it yet, but it’s slowly getting there.  

C86945FF-1F7C-4570-A639-7BD323C1AFCC.jpeg

47F19605-F3F3-47A0-934B-B7F7B6CABF52.jpeg

1F8D4767-28A6-40AC-8D4E-AAA0C812ACE5.jpeg

E9D97A06-2A5F-40B7-83AF-148D75181973.jpeg

DE3D14D2-115A-449C-A206-E2206898ECF0.jpeg

• Like 4