inTank Media Baskets

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

You could change up the livestock? See if a LFS will trade for some good store credit to try another layout - maybe a predator / macro tank or something else lower maintenaince, even FW? I know I have tank ADD, too - hard to want to look at just one - might be a reason I always set up a bunch haha. Good to hear that you want to keep going in some way though

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123
18 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

You could change up the livestock? See if a LFS will trade for some good store credit to try another layout - maybe a predator / macro tank or something else lower maintenaince, even FW? I know I have tank ADD, too - hard to want to look at just one - might be a reason I always set up a bunch haha. Good to hear that you want to keep going in some way though

Yea I have done that with freshwater in the past but this time feels different.   I find myself messing with this tank more than any other tank I’ve owned, and it really isn’t that much to be honest.   I just don’t look at it the same or get excited about it anymore.

My local lfs won’t even give me half of what my stuff is worth.  I’ve already spoke to the owner and he just suggested to sell things locally.   🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
On 8/26/2019 at 8:42 AM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Duncan has been closed up for close to a week, and figured the light was ticking it off.    So I moved it lower in the tank yesterday, as well as gluing some zoas to the rockwork.    Not sure what I will place on top of the rockwork where the duncan was.   A local reefer has offered me a piece of pink birdsnest so maybe I will give that a shot.   🤷‍♂️

Tank was looking pretty good yesterday before the waterchange, and then last evening while I was finishing up in the kitchen.   

1.jpg

2.jpg

This tank still looks great

• Like 4
SURVEYMAN46123

Thinking this weekend I'm going to start the process of listing items here and on a local forum.

Just not feeling it anymore.....

Thanks for all the help and guidance over these years.   Thanks for @Christopher Marks for giving us this site to branch out to other nano reefers, and the nomination of TOTM in May of 18.

Most of all, thanks to those that have reached out, and I have become friends with over these years.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 7
  • 3 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

So.....

I took the month of November to really evaluate this tank and my desire to keep it.   I went back and forth a lot last month.   Doing minimal work and the necessary water changes on the tank to keep it going.   I even sold off a few pieces of coral in preparation to shut it down.    The desire to keep it going after vacation wasn't there like in the past, but something was still there to keep it going for November.    At some point I decided to keep this little box of water and take it slow and get it back to what it once was.    Another positive over that time was I saw an increase in growth in all of my corals.    So hopefully its turned a corner and it will bring me happiness again.    Still have some room for coral, and looking at different options to help fill those areas out.

In the mean time enjoy a little video I shot and edited on my iphone.    If you follow me on instagram you have probably already seen it.

• Like 13

So glad to hear you’re sticking with it. 🤗 That video is so well done and your tank is looking awesome. What did you use to edit the video? It looks professional!

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
8 hours ago, banasophia said:

So glad to hear you’re sticking with it. 🤗 That video is so well done and your tank is looking awesome. What did you use to edit the video? It looks professional!

Thanks.

I just used iMovie on the iphone.   🤷‍♂️

• Wow 1
  • 3 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Nothing like a few new additions to the tank to make you start loving it all over again.

In the past week I have added:

ORA Birdsnest

Red Digitata

Splatter Hammer Coral

Neon Green Toadstool

Neon Green GSP

Tube Anemone

I'd say that's a good end to 2019.   We will see how they fair in 2020.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 4

This is a really great thread.  In 22 pages it sums up the complete lifecycle of a beginning reef aquarist.

He starts off as a beginner asking tons of really basic questions, accompanied by the inevitable fish deaths and inexplicable coral ups and downs, spending time with at the kids activities all the while wondering "is my tank ok?"...ultimately evolving into a truly fantastic tank.  Followed by the inevitable dreaded "is this all worth it" question.  

I've been keeping 5-10g reef tanks for over 10 years now.  I've gone through all these phases (except the 'truly fantastic tank' part...seriously, Im so impressed at what he accomplished...beats me by a mile)

Honestly I didnt think he was going to pack it in.  I've  been really close to shutting down my take 3-4 times over the years but cant bring myself to do it.  I wonder if its the 'nano' aspect that keeps us going.  I really feel that if I had a 100 gallon tank I'd never have kept it going this long...

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
11 hours ago, risk1994 said:

This is a really great thread.  In 22 pages it sums up the complete lifecycle of a beginning reef aquarist.

He starts off as a beginner asking tons of really basic questions, accompanied by the inevitable fish deaths and inexplicable coral ups and downs, spending time with at the kids activities all the while wondering "is my tank ok?"...ultimately evolving into a truly fantastic tank.  Followed by the inevitable dreaded "is this all worth it" question.  

I've been keeping 5-10g reef tanks for over 10 years now.  I've gone through all these phases (except the 'truly fantastic tank' part...seriously, Im so impressed at what he accomplished...beats me by a mile)

Honestly I didnt think he was going to pack it in.  I've  been really close to shutting down my take 3-4 times over the years but cant bring myself to do it.  I wonder if its the 'nano' aspect that keeps us going.  I really feel that if I had a 100 gallon tank I'd never have kept it going this long...

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words!   I agree with you, nano's keep me interested for sure.    I'm just not interested in a larger tank for a number of reasons.    Size of water changes, cost, etc.    

3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I dont think that I have seen these before. Really interesting looking creature. 

I had not seen a tube that looked like this one before.   That and the price was a selling point for me.    

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
59 minutes ago, MaineReefkeeper said:

So clean and refreshed looking! Glad you’re still at it🙂

Thank you.   Something happened late last year that really got me loving the hobby all over again.

MaineReefkeeper
29 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Thank you.   Something happened late last year that really got me loving the hobby all over again.

29 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Well whatever it was I’m glad it caused you to stick with it! The results are looking promising!🔥🔥

• Like 1