Innovative Marine Aquariums

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

12 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Was thinking over night that I may start up my chaeto reactor again.    Been battling a little bit of cyano lately.   Thoughts?

My Nuvo has cyano right now too... just treated with chemiclean and ordered a clip on fan and an ink bird because I think it’s a temp problem with my tank. 

SURVEYMAN46123
15 minutes ago, banasophia said:

My Nuvo has cyano right now too... just treated with chemiclean and ordered a clip on fan and an ink bird because I think it’s a temp problem with my tank. 

Gotcha.   Mine isn't a temp issue, tank stays pretty steady around 78.4 to 78.6.   I think my issue is the newish rock has started a mini cycle, and maybe a bit of overfeeding.   🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Was thinking over night that I may start up my chaeto reactor again.    Been battling a little bit of cyano lately.   Thoughts?

Cyano seems normal after all of the recent changes...... I think you are just out of balance.  

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Cyano seems normal after all of the recent changes...... I think you are just out of balance.  

True.   Maybe just a couple more waterchanges and I can get things back in line.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

that additional light might be playing a part as well, I think just ride it out and keep up on the WC's

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123

So over the past month I’ve lost a few frags of zoas/palys and in the process of loosing more.   I have no idea what’s going on and it’s frustrating the hell out of me.   I do not see any bite marks or any thing on them when lights go out.  Just this brown algae/fungus looking stuff.   

Should I peroxide dip?   Something else?   I don’t want to loose my rainbow hornets or fruit loops so any help would be greatly appreciated.

FF1B0787-BC3A-4520-97BE-4D76B15F88BE.jpeg

• Like 1

Ah yeah that stuff. I dont know what it is but it killed off all my Zoas and Palys. If you catch it in time brush the brown off with a soft brush. I heard that Chemiclean and or Furan Dip would be good for this but I lost mine before I had a chance to try it. 

I used a Peroxide Dip which helped for about 24 hours after that the Brown stuff came back, similar with a Dettol Dip.

SURVEYMAN46123
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Ah yeah that stuff. I dont know what it is but it killed off all my Zoas and Palys. If you catch it in time brush the brown off with a soft brush. I heard that Chemiclean and or Furan Dip would be good for this but I lost mine before I had a chance to try it. 

I used a Peroxide Dip which helped for about 24 hours after that the Brown stuff came back, similar with a Dettol Dip.

Well s**t.   I may try a peroxide dip tonight, with a light brushing.   Also might move them off the sandbed to a frag rack or onto the rockwork itself.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Well s**t.   I may try a peroxide dip tonight, with a light brushing.   Also might move them off the sandbed to a frag rack or onto the rockwork itself.

Good luck, I hope you manage to beat it

• Thanks 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Ended up dipping the frags into peroxide last night, gave them a little brush, and put them onto a frag rack.    Will see if they recover, or if I loose them.   

Might have let it go too far for them to recover, but we will see.   Thought that about my acan and look how its doing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Ended up dipping the frags into peroxide last night, gave them a little brush, and put them onto a frag rack.    Will see if they recover, or if I loose them.   

Might have let it go too far for them to recover, but we will see.   Thought that about my acan and look how its doing.

Dude that's crazy, was it just aggravating them or was it actually melting the flesh?

SURVEYMAN46123
20 minutes ago, frahny said:

Dude that's crazy, was it just aggravating them or was it actually melting the flesh?

I think its a bit of cyano as the frags were on the sandbed.   They have pretty much pissed off the zoa's.    I was able to brush a bit of it off, but not all of it.   

• Sad 1
43 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

I think its a bit of cyano as the frags were on the sandbed.   They have pretty much pissed off the zoa's.    I was able to brush a bit of it off, but not all of it.   

20190626_104310.thumb.jpg.eb0908d3872d79a963a8a0f1e633c61e.jpg20190626_104331.thumb.jpg.40a023ed02d71c53fff6b05d1aa90a58.jpg

Does this look similar to your issue?

SURVEYMAN46123
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

20190626_104310.thumb.jpg.eb0908d3872d79a963a8a0f1e633c61e.jpg20190626_104331.thumb.jpg.40a023ed02d71c53fff6b05d1aa90a58.jpg

Does this look similar to your issue?

Yea, but not on my rockwork.   Just the frags on the sand.

SURVEYMAN46123

So today I received my Hanna Alk tester as I’ve felt I’ve had a stall in growth lately.  Thinking my alk might to be the culprit.  Meaning not being stable and causing issues.   However I’ve noticed growth in my Duncan (3 heads) and Blasto (3 heads) since June.  

When i checked it, the checker read 7.4.  A bit low than what I’ve tested in the past.  Maybe my other Saifert test is off or I’m doing something wrong.  🤷‍♂️ So then that says to me maybe the MG is low.  However I just let it be tonight.   It’s the end of the week and almost WC time so I’ll test then and then mid week, then end of the week.    If MG is steady I guess I’ll have to do some kind of dosing.   I don’t know what yet.   If it’s MG I guess I’ll have to dose that too.   Or just change salts.  LOL

Frustrating but not going to go off the deep in. No need to make drastic changes just because something seems off.   Going to take it slow and hope I get some constructive criticism.  

56CD6B86-7A36-4A77-9948-FFAA27CBCABA.jpeg

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

So today I received my Hanna Alk tester as I’ve felt I’ve had a stall in growth lately.  Thinking my alk might to be the culprit.  Meaning not being stable and causing issues.   However I’ve noticed growth in my Duncan (3 heads) and Blasto (3 heads) since June.  

When i checked it, the checker read 7.4.  A bit low than what I’ve tested in the past.  Maybe my other Saifert test is off or I’m doing something wrong.  🤷‍♂️ So then that says to me maybe the MG is low.  However I just let it be tonight.   It’s the end of the week and almost WC time so I’ll test then and then mid week, then end of the week.    If MG is steady I guess I’ll have to do some kind of dosing.   I don’t know what yet.   If it’s MG I guess I’ll have to dose that too.   Or just change salts.  LOL

Frustrating but not going to go off the deep in. No need to make drastic changes just because something seems off.   Going to take it slow and hope I get some constructive criticism.  

56CD6B86-7A36-4A77-9948-FFAA27CBCABA.jpeg

I would let it ride. You are making a lot of small changes and you don’t want to throw things out of whack.  

Things look good. Enjoy your work, then reassess. 

SURVEYMAN46123
18 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I would let it ride. You are making a lot of small changes and you don’t want to throw things out of whack.  

Things look good. Enjoy your work, then reassess. 

Yea I’m not all about chasing numbers.  Just want to have steady numbers and let the tank go.   If I wanted to chase numbers and make it difficult I would have went full on SPS.  

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Well I spent 2.5 hours with the tank this morning.   Running multiple tests, btw i need to get a mg and ca Hanna checker cause these drop tests suck.   The Hanna checkers are so easy to use!   Anyway tested the tank before a waterchange, new mixed saltwater, and after the waterchange.    Also did a big cleaning of the pump, return line, and rear chambers.    Flow is turned up to max on the Sicce 0.5 pump with the stock return nozzle.   Getting tons of flow now too!  May need to turn down the flow a bit, but we will see.   

So here are my results:

8-18-19

Pre-Waterchange Tank

MG 1410
ALK 7.3
CA 470
TEMP 78.4
SALINITY 1.026

Mixed Saltwater before Waterchange 

MG 1470
ALK 9.5
CA 490
TEMP 78.6
SALINITY 1.026

Tank after waterchange

MG 1440
ALK 8.2
CA 480
TEMP 78.4
SALINITY 1.026

It looks like my MG and Calcium are pretty stead but the Alk is dropping a bit more than I would prefer.   I’m thinking either multiple changes weekly or dosing.   Not sure I want to go the dosing route just for Alk but open to suggestions.   I think WC’s might be best for this tank.  

Also I decided to run with a modified Saxby schedule over the AB+ settings on my prime.  

5B29A07F-C981-4509-89A1-4A5392A4D93C.png

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

Actually I decided to not use the Saxby setting, and just went with a simple AB+ setup.   Short Ramp to an 8 hour light period, with a short ramp down.   

The desire to fiddle with this light nightly is killing me.    I never touched my kessil, set it and left it alone.

LOL

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Actually I decided to not use the Saxby setting, and just went with a simple AB+ setup.   Short Ramp to an 8 hour light period, with a short ramp down.   

The desire to fiddle with this light nightly is killing me.    I never touched my kessil, set it and left it alone.

LOL

Yea there is a definite problem with the ease of messing with the light setttings. BRS stated whatever you select, leave it for a 9-12 months. The struggle is real bro! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
SURVEYMAN46123
16 hours ago, frahny said:

Yea there is a definite problem with the ease of messing with the light setttings. BRS stated whatever you select, leave it for a 9-12 months. The struggle is real bro! LOL

Yea for sure.   I plan to remove the app from my phone and just control it with my computer.   Mainly because I'm never in the room with the computer.   LOL

SURVEYMAN46123

Duncan has been closed up for close to a week, and figured the light was ticking it off.    So I moved it lower in the tank yesterday, as well as gluing some zoas to the rockwork.    Not sure what I will place on top of the rockwork where the duncan was.   A local reefer has offered me a piece of pink birdsnest so maybe I will give that a shot.   🤷‍♂️

Tank was looking pretty good yesterday before the waterchange, and then last evening while I was finishing up in the kitchen.   

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Well the time has come……

Over the past few months I’ve been coming here less and less due to job responsibilities, home life, etc.   Been trying to drop things that are not necessary to life as well.    As much as I have learned from Nano-Reef members, it is time for me to step away for a while.    I started to visit here to learn about small reef tanks and gain my confidence to start my own.   Since then I’ve made some good friends, shared what I have learned, and even been awarded tank of the month.   Still not sure how that last one happened but I wear it with a badge of pride.

Anyway, I’m not gone for good, just taking a break for a while.   I will be back, but not sure as of when.    

In the meantime catch me on my Instagram.   I’ll continue to post photos and updates of my tank there.  

:wave:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • 2 months later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Hey everyone!   

Haven't updated this thread in a long while, but not coming to update in a positive way.  Been in a funk as of late, and considering shutting this tank down and moving on.   It's been an amazing 2.5 years with the tank, but I just don't think I have the drive any longer.   

I've been trying to sell off some coral lately, and haven't had any real luck.   Might have to sell the entire thing as a full package.

BUT.....

There is still that little inkling of enjoyment and desire to keep going.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 4