Jump to content
SURVEYMAN46123

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

Recommended Posts

SURVEYMAN46123
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I have a regular Prime bought off a member here, which I got after seeing Gena's results on her drop-off tank with a Prime.  Keep an eye out on the classifieds and you should find a good deal on one.  It will definitely be plenty of light.  I'll be putting it over my 7.5 gallon bowfront I'm setting up and I expect to have it on suuuuuuper low power haha.

Yea I’m hoping to find one here.  Gena’s,@Lawnman’s and @Cannedfish are all inspiring.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

In speaking with @lawnman I have adopted his maintenance routine in hopes that it will help promote a bit more growth and health of my corals.   

 

We will see what happens.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
frahny
6 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

In speaking with @lawnman I have adopted his maintenance routine in hopes that it will help promote a bit more growth and health of my corals.   

 

We will see what happens.

 

 

Care to elaborate?

 

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

Small 1/2 gallon (2-3 cups) water changes a couple times a week.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

So Saturday when the lights came on I noticed something looked odd within the tank.   Upon further inspection, I saw my Meteor Shower Cyphastrea was showing signs of melting away.   Tested the tank, and everything was well within levels I'm happy keeping, and my tank has always been happy with.   So safe to say, I was pretty upset with it all.  The tank has really been acting funny the past couple of months and has been the most frustrating part of this journey so far.    I've also been having some issues with aiptasia, and have been looking for some Berghia Nudibranches locally with no luck so far.   I'm not sure where the aiptasia has come from, as I dip all of my corals, as well as removing them from the plug they come from, and gluing them to a new plug before they go into the tank.  Frustration to the max.

 

Yesterday was waterchange day since I was at the Indy 500 all day Sunday.   I decided that things needed a bit of a change, so I did a little rearranging within the tank.   I rotated the main rock a bit, and re-glued some corals to the rockwork.   I also vacuumed the sand in the spot where the rocks used to sit, as there was a bit of detritus in those spots.    Eventually I got to a point where I was happy with it, and let it be.   I also removed the spinstream nozzle and stuck on the stock nozzle.   I'm trying to do everything I can do to save things and promote health and growth in my corals.   I'm going to give it a few months and see where we are at the end of the summer.   Hopefully the next few posts within this thread will be on the positive side.   At least for those still following.

 

If it all fails, I will be doing a complete overhaul of the tank, and a new approach, but hopefully we never get there.

 

 

1.jpg

 

 

2.jpg

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
frahny

damn that sucks Paul! hopefully the rescape and removal of detritus clears it up. The rescape looks really good! I dig the column look but I do foresee some shadowing soon.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
frahny

Any update how things are responding to the new scape? Saw that IG post everything looked super nice as always!

Share this post


Link to post
dferrari13

Looks good! Yea its alot easier to maintain steady water parameters by doing small water changes more often each week....especially in a 10 gallon.....hope the meteor shower bounces back

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123
On 6/5/2019 at 12:05 PM, frahny said:

Any update how things are responding to the new scape? Saw that IG post everything looked super nice as always!

Thanks man!  Other than the aiptasia issuses things are great.

 

22 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

Looks good! Yea its alot easier to maintain steady water parameters by doing small water changes more often each week....especially in a 10 gallon.....hope the meteor shower bounces back

Yea things have been improving since starting the @lawnman routine.   Meteor Shower has been tossed.   Bleached and no flesh left.  😞

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
dferrari13
19 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Thanks man!  Other than the aiptasia issuses things are great.

 

Yea things have been improving since starting the @lawnman routine.   Meteor Shower has been tossed.   Bleached and no flesh left.  😞

 

 

It happens.....and sometimes for no apparent reason. It gets frustrating when your parameters are perfect too.

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123
2 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

It happens.....and sometimes for no apparent reason. It gets frustrating when your parameters are perfect too.

For sure.  😖

 

Today I went to the LFS to pick up some aiptasia control.   Two peppermint shrimp and a berghia nudibranch.  Cross fingers it alleviates my problems. 

 

 

782827FF-CFD5-4288-A458-0235AF7820CD.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

As of yesterday, the 10-12 aiptasia that I had, are now gone.   


👍

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
frahny
7 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

As of yesterday, the 10-12 aiptasia that I had, are now gone.   


👍

 

 

 

That is amazing! Nice work

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
dferrari13
On 6/10/2019 at 7:39 AM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

As of yesterday, the 10-12 aiptasia that I had, are now gone.   


👍

 

 

 

Where did you get the nudibranch

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123
13 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

Where did you get the nudibranch

My LFS had a few, so I grabbed one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

Here is a few newer photos of the tank.

 

 

1.jpg

 

2.jpg

 

3.jpg

 

4.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
banasophia

Looks great! Glad to hear you were able to get rid of the aiptasia!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123
31 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Looks great! Glad to hear you were able to get rid of the aiptasia!!

Thanks.

 

Yes me too!   Corals are starting to bounce back.   👍

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123
1 hour ago, frahny said:

:bowdown:

Thanks, you're too kind.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

So I've gotta admit..... I'm loosing the drive to keep this tank up.   Too many issues have started to show and nothing I am doing is fixing anything.   

 

A couple weeks back I switched out the spinstream and put on the stock return nozzle.   Just to give a different flow to the tank.   I also lowered my light a bit more to combat some corals stretching.    About a week in the corals stopped stretching, and everything seemed to be happy.   I'm getting good growth on my favia's, acans, and zoas/palys, however my euphyllia are acting odd.   The duncan has sprouted some new heads, but one of my hammers have dropped a couple heads, same with one of my frogspawns.    Seeing this polyp bailout had me concerned, that either I had an alk spike or not enough calcium.   Maybe it was the flow, or the lighting.   Honestly I still don't have a clue.   

 

I'm considering selling off all but two of my euphyllia, rescaping the tank, and taking a different approach.   However I just don't have the desire.   Part of me wants to start new (I'm currently looking for a 25 gal lagoon tank), but there is still a little bit inside of me that wants to resurrect this tank to what it once was.   

 

In the end, I'm doing this for myself.   Not for instagram likes or followers, or recognition in a magazine.   I wan't a tank that I can be happy with and love to show off to family and friends.   Right now its a highlight of gatherings at my house, but I just see so much more potential.   Maybe that is what is wrong with my thought process.   That I'm reaching for the stars, when I don't need to be.

 

🤷‍♂️

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
frahny
10 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

So I've gotta admit..... I'm loosing the drive to keep this tank up.   Too many issues have started to show and nothing I am doing is fixing anything.   

 

A couple weeks back I switched out the spinstream and put on the stock return nozzle.   Just to give a different flow to the tank.   I also lowered my light a bit more to combat some corals stretching.    About a week in the corals stopped stretching, and everything seemed to be happy.   I'm getting good growth on my favia's, acans, and zoas/palys, however my euphyllia are acting odd.   The duncan has sprouted some new heads, but one of my hammers have dropped a couple heads, same with one of my frogspawns.    Seeing this polyp bailout had me concerned, that either I had an alk spike or not enough calcium.   Maybe it was the flow, or the lighting.   Honestly I still don't have a clue.   

 

I'm considering selling off all but two of my euphyllia, rescaping the tank, and taking a different approach.   However I just don't have the desire.   Part of me wants to start new (I'm currently looking for a 25 gal lagoon tank), but there is still a little bit inside of me that wants to resurrect this tank to what it once was.   

 

In the end, I'm doing this for myself.   Not for instagram likes or followers, or recognition in a magazine.   I wan't a tank that I can be happy with and love to show off to family and friends.   Right now its a highlight of gatherings at my house, but I just see so much more potential.   Maybe that is what is wrong with my thought process.   That I'm reaching for the stars, when I don't need to be.

 

🤷‍♂️

Maybe get a full analysis of the water parameters in detail (like one from API or triton) put your mind at ease there. Then we can meet up this week and ill give you another A80 to use and see if that helps. Last word of advice Ill leave here is that the hard stuff is what real enjoyment comes from. Meaning if this was easy mode it just wouldn't be nearly as cool, embrace the suck, buckle down and rely on your community to keep you going. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123
2 minutes ago, frahny said:

Maybe get a full analysis of the water parameters in detail (like one from API or triton) put your mind at ease there. Then we can meet up this week and ill give you another A80 to use and see if that helps. Last word of advice Ill leave here is that the hard stuff is what real enjoyment comes from. Meaning if this was easy mode it just wouldn't be nearly as cool, embrace the suck, buckle down and rely on your community to keep you going. 

I have considered this, but with everything else in my tank showing growth and great health, I don't know if it is water parameters.   I moved the A80 back up a couple inches, and put the spinstream nozzle back on.   Hopefully that will change some things with the euphyllia.

 

I appreciate you willing to lend me another A80, but I don't think its lighting.    

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
SURVEYMAN46123

For anyone still following....

 

I got home from work and noticed I was still having polyp bailout issues. Over the past four weeks I’ve lost six heads of either hammer coral or frogspawn coral.  The whole polyp was basically pulling the eject cord and dropping to the sandbed.   I had checked calcium and alkalinity, even salinity, pretty much everything that you would check when you see issues happening with corals.    It was baffling to me because this is something that I’ve never seen within my tank.  So last night I decided to check the salinity again and noticed I had quite a spike.   Somehow my salinity spiked from 1.025 to 1.030!  I checked my ATO and everything was OK there. Sensor was fine, there was no issue with the pump and the reservoir was full. So I knew it wasn’t an issue of evaporation.  I decided I was going to do another water change this week.

 

Now mind you I have made mistakes I’m human after all and over the past couple weeks I really hadn’t checked the salinity before putting the new water into the tank. I had always checked it afterwards, usually the next day or so, but I had a pretty good system in place where I knew my salinity was always where it should be, or at least I thought so.  So I got the water mixed up put the salt in the bucket and let it do its thing. Now when I do a water change I’m usually only doing 2 gallons a week so that means I use half a cup of Reef Crystals each week. That means I can go through a bucket in around a year and a half, pretty efficient I would say.   1/2 cup into gallons of water usually is 1.025 or 1.026 once it’s all mixed up.  I recently read that it’s a good idea to stir your bucket of salt before adding it to your water.  Something about the bucket clumping and such. I read it on a forum post mentioning that it’s just a good idea to keep things mixed up so results are consistent.   So a couple weeks ago I went ahead and did that.  

 

Anyway….. Checked the water in the bucket last night before adding it to the tank and it was 1.028!   Ugh…………. Sigh………. Ugh!!!!!    This is most likely my issue with polyp bailout, but with only 3 of the euphyllia in my tank.   :shrug:   My yellow and blue hammer are happy as can be and are showing signs of splitting into another head.   Same with my purple frogspawn.   The issues are with the pieces I’ve had in my tank since close to the beginning.   Pieces that are well established and came from healthy colonies to begin with.    My acans, favias, zoa’s and mushrooms are all showing good health and growth.    Overall very baffling.    

 

Did the water change and salinity was still high, so over an hour I would remove a turkey baster’s worth of water, and let the ATO replace the rear chamber.   After an hour I was back to a salinity I was happy with.    Also had to do some fragging to remove dead skeleton on the hammers and frogspawn.   Re-glued them into new spots, and left it alone.    I will check parameters again tonight when I get home and see if there is any changes.    Lesson learned I guess on my end.  

 

Here is a photo taken before waterchange, after fragging was complete.

 

 

 

IMG_1620.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...