ReefCleaners.org

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

Christopher Marks
On 3/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

So with the torches gone things have been a bit bare.  I have been trying to come up with a plan to re-build the lower half.  

Yesterday my local club held their annual swap and I spent most of the day selling raffle tickets and helping out where I could.   Dropped $25 bucks into raffle tickets as well and won a couple frags, some food, and tickets to MACNA in Orlando.   I also picked up a Yellow hammer and some Date Night Palys.   Overall a good start to a partial re-work of my tank.  Once it grows out I should be happy for awhile.  🤣

E5724137-DC75-4F27-A116-2BD692205744.jpeg

457C2FC3-DE1C-4B74-9A3C-C1A6AF45AFF0.jpeg

26EE2FFA-27B4-4CF6-BDB4-0A85A86A02F2.jpeg

B55F5544-54BD-4D7A-8A32-D4C95F47D22E.jpeg

473F661F-889D-47F3-A521-8764E6F5D2FF.jpeg

6227CE9E-2735-4937-B803-FA54CD45B2D3.jpeg

Awesome haul from the frag swap, MACNA tickets too! I have some serious coral frag envy, dang! It sounds like it was a resounding success all around, thanks for sharing some photos from it.

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
10 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Awesome haul from the frag swap, MACNA tickets too! I have some serious coral frag envy, dang! It sounds like it was a resounding success all around, thanks for sharing some photos from it.

Thanks!   Yea, but I'm not sure if I will be able to use the Tickets yet.   

I'm pretty happy with the frags I purchased, and even happier with the ones I won.   Really added more color to the tank that was needed.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

We are down to two fish in our tank now.   We recently lost the yash goby.   I'm not sure what happened, as he ate well, and was always popping his head out to take a look around.   I suspect he passed away and something devoured his carcass.

RIP Yoshi.  😞

Besides that, I am thinking of upgrading my light to an AI Prime.   I like my kessil, but it just isn't strong enough I think.   I'm still toying with the idea.  I'm also looking to add more hammers and frogspawn to my tank.   Right now I feel I need more to really fill out my tank.   There is a plan in my head of what I want to do, and where I want to place things.   If that plan comes to fruition, the tank will look a lot different this time next year.

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

We are down to two fish in our tank now.   We recently lost the yash goby.   I'm not sure what happened, as he ate well, and was always popping his head out to take a look around.   I suspect he passed away and something devoured his carcass.

RIP Yoshi.  😞

Besides that, I am thinking of upgrading my light to an AI Prime.   I like my kessil, but it just isn't strong enough I think.   I'm still toying with the idea.  I'm also looking to add more hammers and frogspawn to my tank.   Right now I feel I need more to really fill out my tank.   There is a plan in my head of what I want to do, and where I want to place things.   If that plan comes to fruition, the tank will look a lot different this time next year.

I feel like my kessil a160 is way too powerful I can't really go anywhere past 50% intensity....

SURVEYMAN46123
4 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

I feel like my kessil a160 is way too powerful I can't really go anywhere past 50% intensity....

Yea that’s my fear.  For the most part things seem pretty happy in the tank.  I know lighting can promote growth and I have pretty slow growth in my tank.   That’s the desire to go to a more powerful light.  🤷‍♂️

Oh and here is a new top down from tonight. 

BC794D0B-6502-4884-8618-D0AD3AC4C2A5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
13 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

RIP Yoshi.  😞

Sorry for your loss Surveyman. It's always sad if you lose a fish and you can't find out why. 

The ai prime is a good option with lots of controle. Have you thought about a nanobox tide? Imho best option available for the fusion 10. 

SURVEYMAN46123
On 4/3/2019 at 12:55 AM, kimdawg said:

I love the colors in your tank.

Thank you!

On 4/3/2019 at 1:38 AM, Rory282 said:

Sorry for your loss Surveyman. It's always sad if you lose a fish and you can't find out why. 

The ai prime is a good option with lots of controle. Have you thought about a nanobox tide? Imho best option available for the fusion 10. 

Yea its a bummer, but part of the hobby I guess.    I haven't honestly.   I'm still researching all of my options at this time.    I have a lot coming up over the next few months and if I'm going to spend extra on my tank I want to make sure its the best option.    Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

A local club member has a couple frags of Euphyllia I have been eyeing for a while now.   I may add these here in the coming week or two, but to be honest I don't really have any desire to spend any more money on my tank.   

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Original post has been updated.   

Tuesday i met up with a local reefer and picked up something I’ve been looking to add to the tank for awhile now.   The reason I haven’t added this Frag is that they are too damn Expensive for my tastes.  Oh and none of my LFS’ carry them.  

The new piece is an orange/gold tipped frogspawn.   He had a healthy colony and fragged a head off for me.   Gave me a deal I couldn’t refuse either.   Unfortunately I suck at taking pics so it’s hard to see its real color in these photos, but trust me it’s stunning.   

CF45F2C3-13EE-47D1-A027-4FF3700EFBD8.jpeg

D77AFB11-1688-4CC9-A52E-5350DEDB1C73.jpeg

12297C46-4922-4532-BB7C-F9BC318404D4.jpeg

3E5E34EF-CF57-4748-AD44-47DC8CFE3792.jpeg

73BD6B78-4628-425F-B32C-B4FFBD20A070.jpeg

2651A6D4-D9DA-4351-B515-561C6C46E7C9.jpeg

B23CCB1C-6AC9-4652-AB96-6D4AF9EF391F.jpeg

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Original post has been updated.   

Tuesday i met up with a local reefer and picked up something I’ve been looking to add to the tank for awhile now.   The reason I haven’t added this Frag is that they are too damn Expensive for my tastes.  Oh and none of my LFS’ carry them.  

The new piece is an orange/gold tipped frogspawn.   He had a healthy colony and fragged a head off for me.   Gave me a deal I couldn’t refuse either.   Unfortunately I suck at taking pics so it’s hard to see its real color in these photos, but trust me it’s stunning.   

CF45F2C3-13EE-47D1-A027-4FF3700EFBD8.jpeg

D77AFB11-1688-4CC9-A52E-5350DEDB1C73.jpeg

12297C46-4922-4532-BB7C-F9BC318404D4.jpeg

3E5E34EF-CF57-4748-AD44-47DC8CFE3792.jpeg

73BD6B78-4628-425F-B32C-B4FFBD20A070.jpeg

2651A6D4-D9DA-4351-B515-561C6C46E7C9.jpeg

B23CCB1C-6AC9-4652-AB96-6D4AF9EF391F.jpeg

Tank looks great! 😃

SURVEYMAN46123

Over the weekend I have decided to sit back and see if I can get some positive growth and see where I am this fall.   At that point I will either upgrade to a slightly larger tank, or sell off the coral and move on from the hobby.  This tank is over 2 years old and sometimes I look at it and love what it has become, other times I feel like I'm not doing enough or doing things correctly to promote growth and/or healthy corals.    I sometimes wonder if my strategy or practices need adjusted to sustain a mature tank to get what I desire, or if I should start over with adjusted practices to get what I seek.   I'm not sure if its lighting, or flow, or something else.    Maybe I'm just frustrated and over thinking things too.    

spacer.png

• Sad 1
SURVEYMAN46123
53 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Your tank looks amazing!!! And what an interesting frogspawn. I especially love this pic 😍

C877A91E-C855-4849-B863-EDF48DECA282.thumb.jpeg.8938296824a4d3a72d699c00d851d037.jpeg

Thanks.   Which frogspawn are you talking about?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Thanks.   Which frogspawn are you talking about?

The one that I think is your new one.. so pretty!  🙂 

310D4D8C-5ECB-4207-B7C0-B5AC82D17CD1.thumb.jpeg.a28853d6b5119ca31d2ee483866f60c7.jpeg

SURVEYMAN46123
2 minutes ago, banasophia said:

The one that I think is your new one.. so pretty!  🙂 

310D4D8C-5ECB-4207-B7C0-B5AC82D17CD1.thumb.jpeg.a28853d6b5119ca31d2ee483866f60c7.jpeg

Gotcha.   Yes that is one that I had been looking for a long time now.   Little did I know a large colony of it sat in a tank about 30 minutes from my house.  🙂

If I could only get a good photo of it.   It resembles this..

orangetipbranchingfrogspawn.jpg

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

Starting to get fed up with my light.    I'm not getting significant growth, and my zoa's and paly's are stretching towards the light.    Everything else, parameters wise, seem to be right where they need to be.   

🤷‍♂️

gone_PHiSHin

i have always thought this light is underpowered for the IM10.

i would highly recommend the Nanobox Tide or the AI prime HD.  

i have the Nanobox over my IM10 and i can’t get anywhere near full power, and it is growing SPS, as well as LPS and softies, very well. 

however, if you do upgrade to one of these two lights, you will definitely have to start low and work your way up.  they are much more powerful and will burn your euphyllia up top

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
Just now, gone_PHiSHin said:

i have always thought this light is underpowered for the IM10.

i would highly recommend the Nanobox Tide or the AI prime HD.  

i have the Nanobox over my IM10 and i can’t get anywhere near full power, and it is growing SPS, as well as LPS and softies, very well. 

however, if you do upgrade to one of these two lights, you will definitely have to start low and work your way up.  they are much more powerful and will burn your euphyllia up top

It started out great, and has done its job, but I think for the life of my tank and health of my coral, I need an upgrade.    I'm leaning towards the prime.    Also understand that it will have to be dialed in slowly.

Now if I could only find a decently priced prime for sale.....

SURVEYMAN46123

Price point is the biggest reason for me.   Plus i've never messed with the nanobox, and have local friends that use AI equipment.

• Like 1

I have an AI Prime HD that came bundled with my Waterbox 10. Only had it running since since Jan. 1 and still only have a few zoas in the tank, coralwise, but so far happy with it. Figured the 24" Nanobox Hybrid T5/Led quad sitting downstairs might be a bit much for 10 gallons 🤣.

• Like 1

I have a regular Prime bought off a member here, which I got after seeing Gena's results on her drop-off tank with a Prime.  Keep an eye out on the classifieds and you should find a good deal on one.  It will definitely be plenty of light.  I'll be putting it over my 7.5 gallon bowfront I'm setting up and I expect to have it on suuuuuuper low power haha.

• Like 1