Innovative Marine Aquariums

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123
10 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

I like the ricorida island

Frag swap this weekend, hoping to find a couple more.   Specifically a Yellow one and an Pink one. 

;)

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

My neon green torch hasn't been doing too well lately.   Not sure what is going on to be honest.   All of my parameters are well within a stable range.   Just think its going through a funk or maybe I'm loosing it.

Decided to remove to from the rock, glue it to a plug, and put it in a low flow/low light area to see if it will bounce back.

SAD 1.jpg

SAD 2.jpg

On 3/12/2018 at 7:41 AM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Frag swap this weekend, hoping to find a couple more.   Specifically a Yellow one and an Pink one. 

;)

Looking forward to the swap this weekend

1 hour ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

My neon green torch hasn't been doing too well lately.   Not sure what is going on to be honest.   All of my parameters are well within a stable range.   Just think its going through a funk or maybe I'm loosing it.

Decided to remove to from the rock, glue it to a plug, and put it in a low flow/low light area to see if it will bounce back.

SAD 1.jpg

SAD 2.jpg

Could it be splitting? I had a hammer that always looked like that before/as it was splitting. Then it bounced back. 

SURVEYMAN46123
13 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Could it be splitting? I had a hammer that always looked like that before/as it was splitting. Then it bounced back. 

Could be a possibility.   Noticed the mouth was larger than usual, but the coral itself has been looking like that for about a week now.

Its weird how some corals are doing great and one just looks like crap...happening to me with my ducan....waiting for it to bounce back....love that goby btw

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Thinking of trying a frag of Forest Fire Digi.   Possibly place it on the highest point of my rockwork.   However I'm concerned I might not have enough flow, and I run my tank a bit dirtier than an sps type of coral enjoys.

Thoughts?

SURVEYMAN46123

Scratch that last post.  We are not going down that road.   This is a Euphyllia Nano, and it’s staying that way.  

So a bit of good news and some some exciting news as well.   My neon green torch seems to be splitting so I’m going to let it spits thing and then place it back where it was.  That’s a good thing because it needs to be around to meet its new Euphyllia cousins.   Yep I said cousins.....

Yesterday I was browsing a local forum and someone mentioned this local reefer who had some show stoppers on Craigslist.  I know, craigslist.... ick, but I took a lunge at the bait.   Turns out the guy lives across the street from my office.  Seriously I can look out my office window and see his house.  Anyway I go and take a look today and to my surprise he has a Frag tank from heaven.  Seriously it’s full of corals I’ve been dying to get my hands on.  Especially two that none of my LFS’ are able to get their hands on.   A blue branching hammer, and a gold torch.  These two coral are on top of my list.  

Anyway i try not to show my hand, and start asking about his zoa’s.  I spot a two polyp Frag of Rastas and ask him how much, just to get an idea.  He says, 5 bucks a polyp.  Holy crap, is he serious?   No one sells them that cheap around here.   So then I ask about his rainbow acan.  15 he says.... WHAT?!?!   This is quality stuff, his equipment is top of the line, House is immaculate, am I in the Reef tank twilight zone?!?   So then I ask about the Blue hammer.  He says, 35 then he points to the torches, and says “eh I’ll take 55, that’s reasonable right?”    My jaw nearly hits the floor.  This guy has to be pulling my leg.  Last gold torch I saw was 95 a head.  

So anyway we chat a bit and I’m mulling it over in my head.  The 100 is burning a hole in my ass.  I tell him to bundle it up and I’m out the door feeling like I got a great deal.  The entire drive home I’m thinking, where in hell am I going to put these frags.  By the time I got home I had a plan and I think it’s going to make the tank look better in my eyes. 

100 bucks isn’t much in this hobby, but I feel like I got a great deal on some things I never thought I would be able to afford.  

Anyway im rambling, and a bit excited here for sure.  This Nano now has 4 torches, 3 hammers, and a frogspawn.   :woah face:

566EADF8-D082-49C7-81E7-17FCB97588DB.jpeg

366EC661-7F4E-468F-A5AC-515C294721C4.jpeg

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

Picked up a couple small frags at the swap yesterday, basically because I don’t have much room. ?. Anyway it was mostly zoa’s, but my daughter picked out this beautiful blasto that we had to have.   It’s not fully open in this photo but it’s gonna be a stunner.  What do you think?  

Also the neon green torch ended up getting BJD.  Pretty bummed about that but I moved the purple torch over in its place.  

94D05837-9F45-49CC-B8B7-4F8BA34A362C.jpeg

• Wow 1
SURVEYMAN46123
10 hours ago, Oracus said:

I got the same blasto too. The swap was really fun, wish my kids would have lasted longer.

Yea it was!   My daughter and I spent 5 hours Friday night setting up, and 2.5 setting up on Saturday morning, before we had to head off to another commitment.   We ended up back around 3 ish and I did some shopping.    Both of us loved every second of it.   Can't wait until next year.

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

I added a Mint Green Pavona and Red Monti Cap back in Feb, and noticed recently that the Pavona wasn't looking so hot.  Actually starting to brown in one area.   The red monti was showing growth and good color, but it was an impulse purchase that I regretted.   If and when it started to get bigger it would eventually run out of room.   So a local reefer and I met up yesterday, and swapped some frags.   I knew the monti and pavona would do good in his system, and he had a couple colorful items he thought would do well in mine.   I picked up a small purple mushroom and a gorgonian from him.   The gorgonian he has had since 1993 and frag's it twice a year.   So I know its an established gorg, and I have always enjoyed them. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1

Nice pickups! And congratulations on finding good local people to trade/buy corals with, that's the way to go when it's possible. Fellow reefers that are more interested in sharing than just making money are the best! 

The tank is looking great, I really like how it's maturing. 

SURVEYMAN46123
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Nice pickups! And congratulations on finding good local people to trade/buy corals with, that's the way to go when it's possible. Fellow reefers that are more interested in sharing than just making money are the best! 

The tank is looking great, I really like how it's maturing. 

Appreciate that @teenyreef!   I’d say over 75% of my corals are from local reefers.  I’d much prefer doing that because I can view the colony’s they have come from.   

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Picked up a small box of Reef Crystals Sunday and planning on seeing what, if any effects it has on my tank over the next month of water changes.   Currently use IO salt in my tank.  If it has a positive effect on my tank I'm most likely going to make the switch.    I contacted the other salt mix suppliers in the business and no one had a small box/sample to try out, so that's why I'm going the RC route.   In my opinion I'd love to see these brands offer something up to consumers to allow them to purchase and sample their product to see if it works with their system.   To me its not cost effective to purchase a large supply of salt to try it out.   If it has negative effects on my tank I'm stuck with said salt mix.  

Anyway I will update as soon as I find something out. 

• Thanks 1
SURVEYMAN46123

New photos!

I really need to learn how to use my DSLR and start shooting with that.   This iphone just cant capture the colors.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

Picked up a small box of Reef Crystals last week and planning on seeing what, if any effects it has on my tank over the next month of water changes.   Currently use IO salt in my tank.  If it has a positive effect on my tank I'm most likely going to make the switch to reef crystals.   I've noticed a small dip in CA, MG, and Alk over a week period, and hoping to correct this with salt.   I'm still trying to stay away from dosing if at all possible.  Below I have posted my latest results over a week period, testing with salifert test kits.   My belief is that all of my euphyllia are the culprits to the depletion of elements over that week period.   My tank doesn't have much coraline, so corals are my next point of focus when trying to pinpoint this small issue.   I have noticed some stalling of grown in some of my hammers, and a couple just look like they are hanging on.   One hammer for instance just doesn't inflate as much as it once did in the same spot it is now.   Could be something else, but I'm not going to throw everything at it at once, because that may just cause more issues.   If I loose a coral or two, so be it.   My acan's also just look blah (see photo below), and I'm not sure what the hell is going on with it.   I removed it from the plug a couple weeks back and it just never looked the same.  :/   Everything else is happy as a clam, the trumpets seem to sprout a new head weekly, same with my zoa's.   I have to admit, as I get further into this hobby, the desire to remove some corals, and focus on others have crossed my mind multiple times.    Is that crazy to think/say?

I contacted the other salt mix suppliers in the business and no one had a small box/sample to try out, so that's why I'm going the RC route.   In my opinion I'd love to see these brands offer something up to consumers to allow them to purchase and sample their product to see if it works with their system.   To me its not cost effective to purchase a large supply of salt to try it out.   If it has negative effects on my tank I'm stuck with said salt mix.  

Did my first waterchange with Reef Crystals Friday evening, I will update as soon as I find something out.  

3-23-18

Temp 79.6

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.0

CA 450

Ak 8.6

Mg 1470

3-30-18

Temp 79.8

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.0

Calcium 420

Alk 8.3

MG 1380

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

You can always try using kalk+2.....i just add a small amount to my top off water.....it helps me maintain alk ca and mg. It take a little while to dial into how much exactly is to be use...but once you do..its very easy....my top off is 2.2 gallons and I use just under 2 teaspoons.

SURVEYMAN46123
36 minutes ago, dferrari13 said:

You can always try using kalk+2.....i just add a small amount to my top off water.....it helps me maintain alk ca and mg. It take a little while to dial into how much exactly is to be use...but once you do..its very easy....my top off is 2.2 gallons and I use just under 2 teaspoons.

Yes this is an option I have considered, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.   Really hoping to maintain with waterchanges, but understand this is a good option if I cannot.