Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123

Tank survived the few days I was away for the Rolex 24 in Daytona.   Actually looked better than I thought it was going to.   Been so on top of doing my weekly water changes, but this week I'm running a couple days behind.

Top Down 2.jpg

• Like 2
Christopher Marks
16 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Actually looked better than I thought it was going to.

It's nice to hear some good news about a tank while someone was away :lol: 

It looks fantastic!

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

It's nice to hear some good news about a tank while someone was away :lol: 

It looks fantastic!

Haha yea.  I figured someone would have over fed or something like that.   However my 10 yr old has learned quite a bit of patience helping me with this tank and was diligent to follow "dads rules" while I was gone.   Now to teach her how to do a water change.  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glad to hear the tank is doing well. Did that white fuzzy stuff go away? It looks like what I had in my 10g back when things were really bad before I did the soft reboot. 

SURVEYMAN46123
15 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Glad to hear the tank is doing well. Did that white fuzzy stuff go away? It looks like what I had in my 10g back when things were really bad before I did the soft reboot. 

Thanks!   Actually no, but it hasn't spread either.

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Tank has been pretty much on autopilot recently.   Still looking for that "right" coral for my shaded spots.   I've found some that I'd like to keep, but the prices keep me from pulling the trigger.   Also still looking for a purple torch to add to my torch garden.    There is a frag swap locally in the coming month I might attend if I can get away from other responsibilities, if so hopefully I can find what I'm looking for there.  In the mean time things continue to thrive and I continue enjoying this little nano.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

When I got home last evening I noticed another white spot on the monti and decided to move it.   The only place I could really move it to was a spot behind the area I had it originally.   However with my flow, this will keep from any sweepers from reaching it.    Now that's not to say later on down the road when its larger I wont have the same problem, but for now I hope it thrives where it is.   I may also sell off the trumpet coral I have located on the top rock to make room for an ORA Mint Pavona Coral a local reefer has.  Also looking to pick up an orange ricordea and duncan frag from him also.

Also I'm headed to my LFS this afternoon for a little goodie I've been wanting for years.   You can say I went for gold.....

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
3 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

Are you planning to place any corals on the sand in the front? A ricordea garden would look great there!

I was looking at a plate coral yesterday but it was a bit too large for that area.   I haven't decided if I will put ricordea's down there or something else.   My thoughts keep leaning towards a small plate of some type.

Visited the LFS yesterday and came home with a couple new frags.   Gonna try my luck with a purple torch again.   This time this one has some orange in the tentacles and bright golden/yellow tips.   Thanks to @Lawnmanfor tipping me off to this beauty.

Also snagged a nice 6 polyp frag of Yellow Brick Road zoa's.   Had to have them because yellow zoa's are hard to come by around here.

This weekend I'm picking up a Mint Pavona, Duncan, and an Orange Ricordea.   This tank is getting packed for sure.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123

Closing in on a year out since I started this tank.   For an early birthday present I picked up some more frags.  ;)

Orange Ricordea

Mint Green Pavona

Duncan

I've been thinking for a while I wanted to keep a plate coral on the sandbed, but Ive been convinced to go with ricordeas on the sand instead.   I can get a bit more variety of color and texture down there.   I think this will really help make my tank "pop".   Well at least I hope it does. 

1.jpg

• Like 1

I think you made the right call on the ricordea garden vs a plate coral.  I absolutely adore my long tentacle plate coral, but I don't have near as much euphyllia as you and I needed something to bring more movement to the tank - which I doubt your tank lacks. 

More mushrooms will equal more color against all the green and purple you have at the moment. 

SURVEYMAN46123
5 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I think you made the right call on the ricordea garden vs a plate coral.  I absolutely adore my long tentacle plate coral, but I don't have near as much euphyllia as you and I needed something to bring more movement to the tank - which I doubt your tank lacks. 

More mushrooms will equal more color against all the green and purple you have at the moment. 

Speaking of, I’m hoping to start weeding out all of that green.  I have a plan in mind but some of what you see may go away in time.  I mean don’t get me wrong, I love my tank, but sometimes I look at it and wish I would have been a bit choosier on my coral purchases.  Shouldn’t get so hard on myself as it’s my first tank.  However I do wish it had something more to make it stand out amongst the rest.  Is that being hard on myself.  Probably but I do that with a lot of things in my life. 

I do agree.  I have plenty of movement, just lack that pop of color.  I think the Ricordea will balance everything out.  Speaking of I found a baby blue/green one tonight attached to some rockwork.  I’m thinking it was from the old Mushroom I had that melted away.  So hopefully that grows into a beauty along my orange one.  

One last thing.   The purple torch that I purchased a week ago, well it’s turning out to do the same thing my last purple torch did.  Not seeing any brown jelly but it won’t extend like it was when I first put it into the tank.   Honestly I’m completly bummed about this turn of events.  Most likely won’t be adding any more torches if I loose this one.   

SURVEYMAN46123

My torch is really starting to turn the corner.   I thought I was going to loose it like the last purple torch I had, but its looking great.

Also my little Yasha Goby decided to show himself off last night before lights were out.   This little goby has an awesome personality. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123
6 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Glad the torch is on the mend! That yasha goby is gorgeous, so cool in the actinic light!

Me too!   Ever since I saw my first purple torch I knew I wanted one.  

Isnt he?   Love that we added him to our little nano.

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Something was going on with my Frogspawn and Hammer last evening.   Wasn't fluffy and open like usual.   My other hammer and torches were all open and happy.   Noticed my alk was lower than I usually like to keep it.   My alk stays stable at 8.5 - 8.6, and it was 7.7 last night.

Any ideas other than low alk?

SURVEYMAN46123

Been considering over the past few days of removing a couple coral.  The frogspawn and lower hammer coral I have.   Not because I don’t like them, mainly because I have so much green and I would like to try something different.   What that is, I’m not sure yet.  

Thoughts?

SURVEYMAN46123

So tonight a couple of my torches just look “off”.  Last week my Hammer and Frogspawn looked “off”.  My purple torch looks great and so does my other hammer.   Anyone have any ideas?   Noticed my Alk was a little lower than normal the day before my waterchange.   Is it possible the tank is sucking up the CA and ALK more as it matures?   The photos attached are from this evening.  A day after my weekly waterchange.  

If so what would be a good solution to fix this?    Mind you I don’t dose anything or don’t know much about dosing.  

35B92D50-AC7B-4CEB-9812-AC412E033E66.jpeg

309EE24C-7B6F-4CB5-925C-A3BDA92D2E50.jpeg

SURVEYMAN46123
On 3/7/2018 at 6:57 AM, dferrari13 said:

I would try dosing some amino acids I use a product called fuel

I have used that in the past, and my corals looked worse afterwords.   I only dosed twice and lower than the recommended amount.