Cultivated Reef

Surveyman's NUVO 10 Build - REBOOT 2019

SURVEYMAN46123

Mine gets clogged and stops all together..... usually I just pull it out and give it good cleaning and the pump starts again.....hopefully it's not completely burnt out...good luck.....keep that water moving somehow

SURVEYMAN46123

I cleaned the heck out of it tonight.  Just won’t do anything while plugged in.  I’m not going to toss it yet, but I already have another on it’s way.  

There is flow and heat.  I should be okay.  

SURVEYMAN46123

Yesterday I grabbed the Sicce out of the garage and took a closer look at it.   I wasnt convinced that is was shot.   Pulled the impeller, cleaned it up good.   Checked for any debris inside the pump, and so forth.   Still wouldn't power on.   After messing around with it for an hour I finally got it to pump.   So I threw it back into the tank, and everything is nice an happy again.    The second pump coming will be a back up in case the first pump decides to croak later on down the road.   

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Yesterday I grabbed the Sicce out of the garage and took a closer look at it.   I wasnt convinced that is was shot.   Pulled the impeller, cleaned it up good.   Checked for any debris inside the pump, and so forth.   Still wouldn't power on.   After messing around with it for an hour I finally got it to pump.   So I threw it back into the tank, and everything is nice an happy again.    The second pump coming will be a back up in case the first pump decides to croak later on down the road.   

Nice!! persistence pays off!!

• Like 1

You should be fine. The only other concern is keeping the water oxygenated. If you have access to a cheap air pump just running some bubbles in the display will help. Otherwise maybe siphon some water out and then pour it back in a few times a day.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

Picked up one of my bucket list corals today.  A dragon soul torch.  Also a new shrimp and some chateo for my macroalgae reactor.  A special shipment is arriving at my LFS for me tomorrow as well.  ??

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123
11 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

looking great man.  i remember when this tank started!  well done

euphyllia madness!

Yep its been a journey and I've loved every minute.

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
2 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Man, i love this tank. You made it into a real beauty. Mine officially started today :).

Thanks man!   I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.

So yesterday I picked up a new inhabitant for my little nano.   My LFS ordered a Yasha Goby a couple weeks back for me, and his supplier finally got one in for me.

SO without further adieu, meet Yoshi the Yasha Goby.   He is a bit shy at the moment, but I hope he perks up next week when I pick up his pistol shrimp.

54.jpg

55.jpg

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
1 minute ago, teenyreef said:

Awwww, he's so cute :wub:

:)

Actually I was debating between the Yasha and Green Striped Goby.   My daughter, who has wanted a shrimp/goby pair since we started the tank, was the deciding vote.

SURVEYMAN46123

So this past weekend we rearranged our living room to incorporate a new couch.  I mention this because where the tank used to sit versus now I can see certain areas of the tank more clearly.   Well tonight after feeding the tank, I was taking a look towards the back of the tank looking for the Yasha Goby.  Upon further inspection I found a dime size area of this fuzzy white substance on the bottom of the rock.  Basically in one of the darkest parts of my tank.   It looks like a translucent/white hair Algae.  Any idea what it might be?   I’ll try to get a photo in a while.  It’s a concern as I don’t want it to take over my tank. 

Also I started up my macroalgae reactor a week ago tonight.  Started with a less than tennis ball size of mixed macroalgae.  Decided to open up the reactor this evening to see if there was any significant growth.  I used some black tape to cover the reactor so there was no light escaping.  I’m running the lights from 7 PM to 5 AM daily.  To my surprise I had a pretty significant amount of growth in just a week.   See for your self.  

Ive actually been thinking of adding the eshopps nano skimmer on top of the pump for the reactor in the second chamber.  However I’m not sure I need it.  I feed very lightly daily and twice a week I feed a mix of Reef roids and mysis.  I’m also switching out my floss every two days.  Honestly I haven’t tested my Pho4 or Nitrates in a while.  So I couldn’t tell you if it would be worth it or not.

anotger thing I’m considering is switching salt from IO to Red Sea Pro Salt.  I’ve read some opinions about switching salt and possibly harming corals.   That some don’t suggest it and just keep with what is working currently.   I’m considering the change as my calcium and Alk are dropping over the week as you’d expect.  Thought it might help on that part and also promote some faster growth on some of my corals.  However if that risk of switching Salt is there I might research or hold off.  

One last thing.  What do you think about placing my purple torch on top of my highest rock?   I’m still trying to figure out where I should place it.   

F8BE344D-EB47-45C9-999D-61AD2A14B13E.jpeg

C579B769-9742-4F9A-8DEA-8E7780B0CF1D.jpeg

• Like 1

Your tank looks amazing! 

Would you mind giving me a few more details on the chaeto reactor you started using - components, pump, how much flow you have going through it, etc?  Looks like you're seeing some good results.

I'm considering one for my IM14.  I've seen the components for one packaged as a bundle on Marine Depot but I'm curious what others are using with their IMs.

FWIW - I use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. That's all I've ever used so I can't comment on switching salts. I've had good results with it and I've not experienced the ever increasing Alk levels that I've read about from others on here. 

SURVEYMAN46123
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Your tank looks amazing! 

Would you mind giving me a few more details on the chaeto reactor you started using - components, pump, how much flow you have going through it, etc?  Looks like you're seeing some good results.

I'm considering one for my IM14.  I've seen the components for one packaged as a bundle on Marine Depot but I'm curious what others are using with their IMs.

FWIW - I use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. That's all I've ever used so I can't comment on switching salts. I've had good results with it and I've not experienced the ever increasing Alk levels that I've read about from others on here. 

Thanks!  

The reactor is a cheap aquatop reactor linked below.  I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what the flow rate is, but it isn't a very strong flow.   I did not feel that it needs too much to be honest.   The pump is close to the same size as the stock Innovative Marine Pump.   It fits perfectly in the second chamber.  

https://www.amazon.com/AQUATOP-MR-20-Multimedia-Reactor-Pump/dp/B00GYG54O6

The lighting was simple.   Its basically a warm white LED strip that is waterproof.   Wrapped it around the cylinder, and instead of zip tying like you see most people doing, I bought some black tape and attached it that way.    Wrapped it all, to keep the light from spilling out.    Set the lighting on a timer, 7 PM to 5 AM every day.   A link to the lights I used are below.

https://www.amazon.com/LEDMO-Dimmable-Waterproof-600LEDs-Supply/dp/B01N4B6TJ5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1515071467&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ledmo+led+strip&psc=1

• Thanks 1
SURVEYMAN46123
8 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Have you ever thought about adding a powerhead to the tank or do you find that the spinstream and sicce 0.5 provide enough flow to the tank?

I have numerous times, but I look at the health of my corals and they seem happy with what I have so I go against it.   That and I don't want any equipment in the tank.  I think if I ever feel like I need more flow, I would upgrade to the Sicce 1.0 pump.

SURVEYMAN46123

I’ve been home ill for a couple days and have noticed a slight loss of color in my corals.  From the palys to my hammer corals.  I’m wondering if my chateo is making my water too “clean”.  Before adding this my colors were much more vibrant and/or consistent.   Do you think the culprit would be the reactor?   I’ve shut it off and am planning on doing my weekly waterchange this evening.   

gone_PHiSHin

yes that very well could be your problem.  euphyllia like some phosphates and nitrates to really color up, you certainly could have stripped your water and caused this.  you could turn off the reactor, or try feeding more.

i recently learned my tank does better without running any GFO.  even though i feed pretty heavily, i constantly had 0 ppb phosphates on the Hanna ULR checker, even after a big feeding.  i removed the GFO and my phosphate hovers around 5-13 ppb, and i've gotten noticeably better colors from my two frogspawn and hammer, as well as a few other LPS.   

SURVEYMAN46123
20 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

yes that very well could be your problem.  euphyllia like some phosphates and nitrates to really color up, you certainly could have stripped your water and caused this.  you could turn off the reactor, or try feeding more.

i recently learned my tank does better without running any GFO.  even though i feed pretty heavily, i constantly had 0 ppb phosphates on the Hanna ULR checker, even after a big feeding.  i removed the GFO and my phosphate hovers around 5-13 ppb, and i've gotten noticeably better colors from my two frogspawn and hammer, as well as a few other LPS.   

Yea for as small as it is, reactor wise, it really is pulling out too much.  I say that because of the reaction I'm seeing from my coral.   I'm going to stop running it for a week and see what happens.   May have to put my little DIY reactor on the hardware classifieds.

SURVEYMAN46123

I think my purple torch is dying. ????

I did a waterchange tonight and moved it to a shaded area of the tank.  Hoping it will pull through.  Planning on testing parameters every other night and see where where they are at the end of the week.   I’m thinking that either Calcium, Alk, and Mg are being depleted too much or it’s just the drop in nitrates and phosphates from the chateo Reactor.  I’m thinking it’s the ladder as all the other corals seem to be happy.  Other than some of their colors fading a bit.  I’m gonna be so bummed if I loose this coral. ☹️

CF6DFED9-2337-4CB1-8818-C4BF5CCB74FA.jpeg

Update:  Took a close look at the Frag and noticed a bit of brown coming from the skeleton.  So I pulled it and it smelled awful. Put it in a peroxide solution and the tentacles basically started to fall out of the skeleton with a bunch of brown jelly. Smelled like death warmed over.  Decided to just toss my dream Frag to save the rest of the tank.  I’m really bummed here guys.  I hope the rest of the tank doesn’t succumb to this.  

4586348A-1177-4452-A3AE-0D9567A44063.jpeg

• Sad 1