SaltCritters.com

controllability and dimming

graemevw

Im still trying to make my mind up what to go with for a light for my 60l cube.

I think it will help me if I ask a couple of basic questions.

The ability to control sunrise etc would be nice but is it a big problem if the light is just on a simple on/off timer?

How important is it to be able to dim the light with inverts and basic corals?

Just trying to sort out some kind of balance between either going all out on a light or building a basic diy led to start with.

I had my 55g with t5ho's on an on/off setting. Never an issue.

I had my 15g with a par38 timer only, no issue

My 15g now has an Ai Prime on it with sunrise, ramping, sunset, and blues at 3% for moonlighting(i don't like ai's moonlighting feature)

I personally prefer the controllability of the ai. I like being able to change the percentages of colours to my personal preference. I like having the control of whats good for my corals and my viewing.

Even though not everyone likes the ai prime, its control and adjustability make it a safe feeling option for a novice.

Got a lead on a razor nano too.

I want to make my own and play with colours but if I want any control and programmability it will cost nearly as much as a shop bought light.

I am tempted to chuck together a simple cheapy to get me started.

Im still trying to make my mind up what to go with for a light for my 60l cube.

I think it will help me if I ask a couple of basic questions.

The ability to control sunrise etc would be nice but is it a big problem if the light is just on a simple on/off timer?

How important is it to be able to dim the light with inverts and basic corals?

Just trying to sort out some kind of balance between either going all out on a light or building a basic diy led to start with.

1. On/off transition will not matter much to the corals, but might to the fish - I personally prefer ramped on/off transistions...

2. Dimming is important to allow one to adjust for depth of the aquarium, types of corals, and placement of corals at various heights within/ among the rockwork...

3. Finding a quality used light is usually preferable unless one enjoys the build process of DIY.

Archived