Coral Vue Hydros

Sunlit Bowl

Poet

• 1 month later...

This happened 2ab3c42f382b2107bee685ececca2cf5.jpg

My mistake, I installed a fuge and didn't compensate for the extra water level. The inevitable happened over a 3 day weekend that we decided to go away.. the power cut, water flooded down and dripped on the temp controller/heater and tripped the fuse.

Think it might now be an anemone/macroalgae tank

df6c6306b98a84d9a91e76513bb3a6e4.jpg

3dbf74a6c54076443ccf8ecc63deb7cb.jpg

• Like 3

Still not really sure where I want to take this bowl. I've just added a complete mat of green star polyps covering pretty much all the rock. Do I want to place Monti caps on top? Acros? Losing focus really quick! :(

17 hours ago, Poet said:

Still not really sure where I want to take this bowl. I've just added a complete mat of green star polyps covering pretty much all the rock. Do I want to place Monti caps on top? Acros? Losing focus really quick! :(

Purple and green montis like Gena and Teeny would be awesome.

Figured something out. 
0b57236ac7e03bc6d17a0d3e4209b5eb.png I'm thinking a mat of encrusting corals on the lower portion, and a crown of either Acropora or birdsnest/similar on top of their heads (I have got about 3 statues.)

Excuse the dirty mess, have placed two of the statues in and stirred things up a bit. 
306275b12ce38a41363931b771929a90.jpg

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Poet said:

Figured something out. 
0b57236ac7e03bc6d17a0d3e4209b5eb.png I'm thinking a mat of encrusting corals on the lower portion, and a crown of either Acropora or birdsnest/similar on top of their heads (I have got about 3 statues.)

Excuse the dirty mess, have placed two of the statues in and stirred things up a bit. 
306275b12ce38a41363931b771929a90.jpg

That would be awesome.  maybe you could find a small amphora (grecian wine jugs) as well and then it could be like an ancient sea wreck!

amphora-on-seagrass-meadow-red-sea-makadi-bay-hurghada-egypt-e696p1.jpg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, lkoechle said:

That would be awesome.  maybe you could find a small amphora (grecian wine jugs) as well and then it could be like an ancient sea wreck!

amphora-on-seagrass-meadow-red-sea-makadi-bay-hurghada-egypt-e696p1.jpg

Funny you should mention that! I've been thinking of adding one of these behind the statues, and now I know the name! Thanks for that!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Poet said:

Funny you should mention that! I've been thinking of adding one of these behind the statues, and now I know the name! Thanks for that!

pE4Ok3r.jpg

• Like 1
On 2/17/2017 at 7:59 AM, Weetabix7 said:

Very cool.

OMG, I didn't realize it had crashed when I posted this comment, I'm so sorry! 

It looks like you're already on the way to a good comeback, which is great, cause I'd hate to see this bowl go away. 

No worries! It will be back, just not sure how long. I will give it a couple more weeks before putting SPS frags in. Also not sure what in the way of encrusting/matting corals to use on the lower portion of the statues. 

And cheers Ikoechle, I went and picked up an urn today. The best thing I found was a resin aquarium ornament from AquaOne, doesn't look too bad!

i took all the sand out as I noticed it was scratching up the acrylic :(

• Like 1

Cheers, to be honest I never thought I'd ever go down the "ornaments" route but once the saltwater ages them and corals start encrusting, I think it just may look ok and unique. I have an idea in my head, hopefully it falls in to place. 

Any my suggestions on encrusting corals that leave a thin base? So as not to hide too much of the detail.

2 hours ago, Poet said:

Cheers, to be honest I never thought I'd ever go down the "ornaments" route but once the saltwater ages them and corals start encrusting, I think it just may look ok and unique. I have an idea in my head, hopefully it falls in to place. 

Any my suggestions on encrusting corals that leave a thin base? So as not to hide too much of the detail.

I had encrusting montipora that were pretty thing like rainbow and... I cant remember the name of the other one... but it was in my 85.  It  was pink with blue polyps. and that sucker grew FAST.

An encrusting gorgonian could add some pretty movement although most have ordinary color, nothing spectacular.  It would probably cover the detail of the statue.  Actually if you used gsp it could look like nature reclaiming a greek ruin?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Realised the alabaster statues would wreak havoc long term so pulled them after a few days. Went with ceramic, it's a bust of davids head. 
bf3644560ae87827f41d6b2d592c041f.jpg
It's been a week of overcast, rain and clouds so the LEDs have been a bit of help, even though I only have a rainbow monti and two acro frags in there.

• Like 4
  • 2 years later...