Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Brad's ADA 60f Mangrove Tunnel

brad908

2 hours ago, smiz said:

Every time I plan a new build I have to stumble on one of these tanks....Damn you brad! Back to drawing board. 

Hahaha, sorry!

2 hours ago, Zer0 said:

You take some excellent photos there, Brad. Everything is so nice and white and bright, I love it.

I really love the placement you chose for the mangroves. Are you going to let them grow however they want, or are you going to guide their growth with wires/rods so they form the shape you want? Either way, I know this will turn out fantastic!

Good luck!

Thanks! Now that each mangrove has 2 sets of leaves, I have started pruining them. I will most likely start wire shaping them like in my other tank. 

• Like 1

I bet you could speed this up with a free Archer fish and slowly shifting to brackish water. It would be pretty cool for a little while too.

• Like 1
On 3/3/2017 at 9:10 PM, Moolelo said:

I bet you could speed this up with a free Archer fish and slowly shifting to brackish water. It would be pretty cool for a little while too.

Just looked them up, cool fish but says they need 125 gallons +. This is 5 gallons lol

On 3/3/2017 at 10:02 PM, urbaneks said:

Simple and elegant.  Love it.  

Thanks!

On 3/10/2017 at 6:54 PM, spectra said:

Looks like it needs a little water.............were you doing a water change or ?

I was doing a water change, but technically they could probably survive in that little bit of water. 

I was thinking of adding some mollies this past weekend, but didn't have a chance to get to the LFS.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

This is awesome man. I always loved planted tanks and have had several but never wanted to deal with dosing nutrients and co2 ect. It got to be expensive and a headache very fast. I have a 60F in the mail right now to move my brain collection into it. Im thinking I will have to order another to replicate this. Would be the perfect tank to look at to relax. 

• Like 2
On 3/10/2017 at 6:07 PM, brad908 said:

Bringing the mangroves in a bit

96979B6B-1B6B-430B-9D48-4FD1C4C3AC39_zps

Exactly one month ago, will update hopefully tonight with new pictures. Pretty big growth change and roots are starting to come out of the sand (probably won't be able to capture this in photos yet)

• Like 6

Week 20. 4/15 will be 21 weeks. Glass is dirty and sand got pushed around since I've been lazy about top offs. Mangroves are doing well. 

A55FBB0E-43EF-48DB-8B4C-0542F8C55326_zps

B3E30724-72DE-401C-BDD6-33D670672E93_zps

9C5D3624-FAB9-4C7E-847C-6AE029620715_zps

7A2411C9-7FAE-4C15-A1D3-8F0872E8C68B_zps

D72A1992-B6A9-47A7-BAAD-4DCFE9EAC99F_zps

7875F4DF-9E83-49B4-9461-49DF380F9C39_zps

• Like 14
Christopher Marks

They're showing tremendous growth so far. Are you planning to top them with a prune so they start to spread wider? I noticed the one in the back is already branching out.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

They're showing tremendous growth so far. Are you planning to top them with a prune so they start to spread wider? I noticed the one in the back is already branching out.

I don't know why the back one is growing like that, lol. I never trimmed that one, grew naturally like that. All the other ones have been pruned though after each set of leaves has grown in. 

WIth cloudy water

7F251E15-8601-4A61-96D1-55A9F57585BE_zps

I'm debating to switch tanks around. Move the bigger macro/mangrove tank back to my 18" cube, then place this inside the 48x18x14. Just Fiji pink sand, mangroves, and a ton of chromis or similar brackish/fw grouping fish. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...