Cultivated Reef

Brad's ADA 60f Mangrove Tunnel

brad908

Would you use soil from the garden or buy a mag of miracle mud and just make sure it's watered often?

I'd buy live mud on eBay over ground soil. I'm not a soil expert lol, but I think the nutrients between the two would be way different.

Do you put the mangroves in anything before put them in the mud? A pot or anything like that? Or does the mud just hold them in place?

Mud is holding them in place.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about setting up a tank on my desk at work and may very well do something similar to this!

Silly question: You're using marine "live mud" in freshwater. Doesn't that somewhat defeat the point as all the saltwater microfauna is now dead?

Aside from that I think starting out fresh is the best way to go for mangroves. Apparently all varieties of mangroves do best in freshwater (even red mangroves).

Week 11

3BB0A9F0-2BF7-49FA-A4DC-CAF9192EA082_zps

2835EEC1-64A0-4A34-B06D-6E8F99C46BBA_zps

DB2C2720-D1D8-4C56-B686-33689465B9E4_zps

2nd set of leaves sprouting now. Thinking about bumping to 20 hours a day and burning out these cheap bulbs that came with the fixture. What's the best 6500k t5 bulb out there?

• Like 10
RIP Sebastian

Your patience is astounding. I'd love to be able to do something like this someday, but I just have to patience. How long do you think it'll take for them to fill in the way you want them to?

• Like 2

Your patience is astounding. I'd love to be able to do something like this someday, but I just have to patience. How long do you think it'll take for them to fill in the way you want them to?

At least a year at this rate for the top canopy. I think the roots will be more like 2-3 years

Might get some fish tomorrow. Maybe a few Mollies as they can live in the slow brackish water conversion.

RIP Sebastian

At least a year at this rate for the top canopy. I think the roots will be more like 2-3 years

Might get some fish tomorrow. Maybe a few Molly's as they can live in the slow brackish water conversion.

Kudos to you, man.

• Like 2

Just after I comment on how long it takes, things start picking up! :lol:

There are definitely slight daily changes and when they're splitting, it's hourly changes.

Really dig this tank! Once they get going, mangroves can produce leaves regularly (especially in freshwater) I find. They are by no means fast growers, but set them up right, and they are pretty consistent with their growth.

• Like 1

I always loved the GE6500k bulb.

Any plans for invertebrates or fish?

Not too much thought yet, not sure when the FW to SW conversion will happen. Seahorses crossed my mind, but haven't done any research on keeping them yet. You had seahorses in that old shallow cube, right?

Not too much thought yet, not sure when the FW to SW conversion will happen. Seahorses crossed my mind, but haven't done any research on keeping them yet. You had seahorses in that old shallow cube, right?

Yep ive kept them. Seahorses would be cool but tank height would be an issue as well as nutrient export on this sized tank.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You take some excellent photos there, Brad. Everything is so nice and white and bright, I love it.

I really love the placement you chose for the mangroves. Are you going to let them grow however they want, or are you going to guide their growth with wires/rods so they form the shape you want? Either way, I know this will turn out fantastic!

Good luck!