Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Brad's ADA 60f Mangrove Tunnel

brad908

My understanding is that they are only salt tolerant so that process of removing salt takes a lot of energy that could be used to grow larger. They grow in pots with soil as long as you keep that soil soaking wet. So like a pot with no drainage for example. I suspect they grow fastest in soil using fresh water. 

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Hey everyone - will have an update in the next few days. My wife and I relocated from San Francisco to Salt Lake City on Wednesday and just getting settled in. 

This is going to be my main/only tank until we buy a house here. 

• Like 5

This is what the tank looks like these days, just added water last night. Tank has been basically left untouched since my last post. Currently 100% freshwater but will work on getting it to saltwater. 

Around my last post the mangroves did look to have some type of disease (you can actually see the black dots in some pics) and I plucked basically all the leaves off, but growth has been going strong the last few months and they’re looking good. 

The micro sword grass has also grown nicely. This stuff is impossible to kill. Started off as a couple roots and now covers about 65% of the tank. This tank has been through freshwater, saltwater, no water changes, stagnant water, etc. 

Going to hang the light from the ceiling today. 

4B127E14-C1BF-456A-B1BD-F833AB1EFA36.jpeg

• Like 9

Brad,

I think this was previously asked but not answered - do you have any stocking plans such as invertebrates, or will this be a mangrove + micro sword grass only tank? 

• 4 months later...

Hello, amazing how nice it looks ! I started a small aquarium with mangrove a few months ago but I struggle to keep it free from green algae. What do you suggest ? How do you manage this ? Thanks and kind regards, Tony

@brad908

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Didn’t keep up with converting to saltwater but update on the tank. Mangroves got a little burnt so I raised the light a few weeks ago. Also running the MAME again. 

Livestock wise is just a bunch of neon tetras. 

46943367735_47db608039_b.jpg33982292158_641b7c3eb1_b.jpg46943367845_854e1ed23a_b.jpg

40893045183_2511598dfc_b.jpg

32915391707_8693b7a0b2_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/16/2019 at 11:05 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Glad to see this mangrove system is still thriving @brad908!

How are things going in SLC?

Things are going great, love having the mountains at our doorstep now. 

Able to get a full top down using the new iPhone 11 pro ultra wide 

D867EAD1-5D4B-484B-BC13-D00209FA3B58.jpeg

E3B43FD0-2F54-4CC5-9F5B-A8952C1A5A9D.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Wow 1
4 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Pics or the mountains aren't real ! 

haha - all on Instagram - IG link

4 hours ago, spectra said:

Looks good how about a shot of the tank now ?

I’ll work on one tomorrow. The micro sword grass has started to die off as the mangroves root system have taken over. Want to try replanting some to see if I can get it to cover the bottom again. The small brown mangrove roots everywhere are kind of ugly, to be honest lol.  

• Like 1

I do still run a small ADA saltwater tank. It has been severely neglected since the move from SF, but going to start taking better care of it. There is one clown in it, and it has been through it all. Keeping it simple, want to get some GSP and have it cover the rock. Will also eventually add another clown.

You can see the clowns reflection in the bottom right. 

If anyone has GSP they want to get rid of, DM me 🙂

20280651-E2CA-4B7A-B33C-35DB6B053456.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, brad908 said:

I do still run a small ADA saltwater tank. It has been severely neglected since the move from SF, but going to start taking better care of it. There is one clown in it, and it has been through it all. Keeping it simple, want to get some GSP and have it cover the rock. Will also eventually add another clown.

You can see the clowns reflection in the bottom right. 

If anyone has GSP they want to get rid of, DM me 🙂

20280651-E2CA-4B7A-B33C-35DB6B053456.jpeg

That will be awesome! I did that in my contest tank a few years ago - with some RFAs.  It didn’t take long for the GSP to cover the rock! 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey everyone - went though a stressful bid war this weekend on a house but we settled and should have everything closed out by early June. 

New setup coming soon 👍

Haven’t really kept up with equipment lately, any new rimless tanks on the market?

• Like 5
mitten_reef
34 minutes ago, brad908 said:

Hey everyone - went though a stressful bid war this weekend on a house but we settled and should have everything closed out by early June. 

New setup coming soon 👍

Haven’t really kept up with equipment lately, any new rimless tanks on the market?

have you heard/seen any of this? 

waterbox has some nice freshwater tanks from desktop to 6-footers.

fijicube came out with their freshwater sub brand - "my natura".  I haven't seen a single tank with that brand on here.  

UNS has nice tank lineup all around, from pico to 4-footer's

seapora has limited rimless selection

lifegard aquatics has a few on the smaller end, up to 40G, seen these at LFS, they look good with mitered corners. 

I guess depends on what dimensions/size you're looking for, some of these brands may not even make the shortlist.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Quick iPhone pic, this clown has lived through it all. Can’t wait to get it back in a proper tank. I’m leaning towards using the 48x18x14 again, but might be too large for the room I’m thinking in the new house; we will see.  

009E0B93-B9AD-4533-9C2E-CE91F4DD1A76.jpeg

• Like 5