SaltCritters.com

Brad's ADA 60f Mangrove Tunnel

brad908

I've decided to set up a second mangrove tank. This one will be a shallow mangrove tunnel. Tank will start off as freshwater and eventually be converted to saltwater. Extremely easy and low maintenance set up.

Equipment

• ADA 60f - 24x12x7"
  • 24" T5 Fixture | 4 6500k bulbs
  • Ecotech MP10
FTS

271700E6-236E-4476-8C2F-EBCA6AAB9E3E_zps

Thank you

• Like 11

Cool new build.

Where did you end up placing the tank? Shelving unit of some kind?

Inside a closet I used to keep a 50gallon brute can in. Since I no longer do water changes, I converted the closet. The tank sits on a 24x33" piece of wood. And conduit piping for support legs.

I'll take a picture of the entire closet tonight

• Like 2

Yup. This one has me excited. Always awesome stuff from you!

This should be extremely clean!

Awesome! Excited to see how this turns out.

This is exciting - your tanks are always beautiful and mangroves have an enchanting quality about them! Thanks for sharing!

Sick

This looks insanely cool. Definitely following this build.

This sounds really incredible. Following~

Thanks everyone! Pretty excited about this one too. The last few times I've purchased mangroves with leaves already on them, so I felt like I cheated a little. Looking forward to having a fresh start.

Dooder,you live in the wrong spot. I just had to walk my sea wall plucking out the mangrove propogules (you have to pluck them before they really take root and are then protected my Florida Wildlife. Mangrove trees will destroy your sea wall). If you need any more, pm me. I'll mail you a bundle, you just have to cover the shipping.

I live in a mangrove saturated environment. Google Weedon Island, Fl, and check out the kayak pics of the mangrove tunnels. This is what you tank reminded me of.

• Like 1

Dooder,you live in the wrong spot. I just had to walk my sea wall plucking out the mangrove propogules (you have to pluck them before they really take root and are then protected my Florida Wildlife. Mangrove trees will destroy your sea wall). If you need any more, pm me. I'll mail you a bundle, you just have to cover the shipping.

I live in a mangrove saturated environment. Google Weedon Island, Fl, and check out the kayak pics of the mangrove tunnels. This is what you tank reminded me of.

Florida isn't for me haha. My wife grew up in Cocoa Beach and my grandparents had a house in Key West, so I've spent a good amount of time in Florida and around mangroves. I think maybe that is where part of my "obsession" comes from. Heading back to Florida next month, and looking forward to seeing some more.

Appreciate the offer on the propagules, might have to take you up on a few.

Water is almost cleared up. Moved around the sand as much as I could but need to buy a little more to finish the back left corner.

16749B83-807F-4E3D-9FDD-FCB3FC17EFD4_zps

0036D37B-825A-419C-8F83-A6965F0C62CA_zps

62387EB3-545B-4F4F-9F63-16EA44810827_zps

Wish they made a white mp10 lol. Thought about plasti dipping the dry side, but probably not worth the hassle.

• Like 6
blizzardscout2

That would look absolutely amazing. A clear wet side too! That 60P is beautiful. I almost bought one this week, but I went another direction. This is going to be cool, following.

• Like 1

This is similar to an tank I have in the works, but I used Fiji mud under the sand. I haven't found a light yet either.

I use this live mud http://m.ebay.com/itm/10-lbs-Miracle-mineral-mangrove-mud-live-sand-rock-refugium-aquarium-substrate-/190789162592?var=&hash=item2c6beb9660%3Am%3AmjcY9Z9EspqaOl9YLoxuwPQ&_trkparms=pageci%253A15acbeb2-b0cf-11e6-be4b-005056aa615c%257Cparentrq%253A8cd368af1580a605d4bf793dfff23a55%257Ciid%253A7&varId=490129549716

I put 10lbs of it in this tank, and also used it on my bigger mangrove tank.

Wow really neat and excited to see this progress! How long do you anticipate it taking to grow out to your mature aqua-scape goal?

Probably at least 2-3 years.

Anyone know if I should go with the Gieseman "planted super flora" or "tropic 6500k" t5 bulbs for best growth?

I have 4 no name 6500k in there now and want to replace them soon.

I think for my next tank I'm going to try and paint the wet side white and plasti dip the dry side, maybe krylon fusion for the wet side? Can't wait to see this setup grow out!

• Like 1