Pod Your Reef

22 lbs of Live Rock in a 40 + rubble?

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

I was going to go with a little less live rock for my new 40g than I normally do and run some Marinepure rubble in a bag or contained live rock rubble in one of the back chambers. I was looking to just get a 22 lb. pkg. of the Walt Smith 2.1 rock from BRS. (want the good looking 2.1 because this will be a FOWLR for a few months I'd guess)

In past tanks, I've never had the ol' 1-1.5 lbs. per gallon rule and it turned out fine...

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/project-reef-rock-2-1-walt-smith.html

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-mp2c-c-biomedia-filter-bag-with-media.html

Any opinions or input on this approach? Plan on adding more rock or could I be ok?

Eventual fish: 2 percula clowns, 1bicolor blenny, 1 yellowtail damsel, 1 shrimp. This feels like a light bioload for a 4, right?

corals would be LPS dominant (torch, frogspawn) w/ an eventual skimmer and biopellet reactor added.

I was going to go with a little less live rock for my new 40g than I normally do and run some Marinepure rubble in a bag or contained live rock rubble in one of the back chambers. I was looking to just get a 22 lb. pkg. of the Walt Smith 2.1 rock from BRS. (want the good looking 2.1 because this will be a FOWLR for a few months I'd guess)

In past tanks, I've never had the ol' 1-1.5 lbs. per gallon rule and it turned out fine...

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/project-reef-rock-2-1-walt-smith.html

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-mp2c-c-biomedia-filter-bag-with-media.html

Any opinions or input on this approach? Plan on adding more rock or could I be ok?

Eventual fish: 2 percula clowns, 1bicolor blenny, 1 yellowtail damsel, 1 shrimp. This feels like a light bioload for a 4, right?

corals would be LPS dominant (torch, frogspawn) w/ an eventual skimmer and biopellet reactor added.

You're talking about biological filtration....not aesthetics I'm guessing? Bare bottom or sandbed?

Either way, you're fine with the 22lbs. of rock. Skip the rubble as it'll just trap crap. Run a skimmer and call it a day. Maybe run a small reactor for carbon or gfo depending on what you're stalking.

burtbollinger

will have sandbed...

wanted to give the tank a more minimal look for asthetics, dont wanna shove in more live rock that is necessary.

will have sandbed...

wanted to give the tank a more minimal look for asthetics, dont wanna shove in more live rock that is necessary.

You'll be fine.

.....the only thing I wonder about is if that rock has a purple "paint" covering everything.....how well will the rock colonize with bacteria?

burtbollinger

i had that concern too, but watching the BRS 52 week build and talking to some folks there, it sounds like the rock has been successful.

i had that concern too, but watching the BRS 52 week build and talking to some folks there, it sounds like the rock has been successful.

It looks nice.....and no pests to worry about is a plus.

It looks nice.....and no pests to worry about is a plus.

You're talking about biological filtration....not aesthetics I'm guessing? Bare bottom or sandbed?

Either way, you're fine with the 22lbs. of rock. Skip the rubble as it'll just trap crap. Run a skimmer and call it a day. Maybe run a small reactor for carbon or gfo depending on what you're stalking.

Agreed

With only using walt smith, I would take things slow as there will be no bacteria from the start. It can be done, just need to take it slow to let the colonies build.

I think you will be fine with that amount.

If you want biological, caribsea has life rock which has bacteria. Its aragonite dey rock epoxied to look mature and then infused with bacteria.

It can be used to start up or add at any time.

I've read a ton of great reviews.

BRS has it.

Archived