Top Shelf Aquatics

Emily's IM 10 Experiment in a Box

utopiatalks

On 8/29/2017 at 3:03 PM, teenyreef said:

Of course there are a million types of worms, some good, some bad, but the ones I've seen that fit your description are harmless.

Yes there certainly are.  I teach people about insects so I know how crazy diverse certain groups of animals can be. I am relived to hear that everyone thinks those particular worms don't seem to be a problem with coral.

18 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

That last pic is absolutely disgusting lol.

I think thats my favorite one, its kind of creepily beautiful, but I think a lot of "gross" things are cool. I love this reef keeping world introduces me to all sorts of weird things. 

I really appreciate all the input.  I did another water change today. And the good news is the gobies get to move back in tomorrow.  Cyano seems to be taking a break, hopefully whatever is causing the mircos issues is too.  I didn't dip them again to give them a little break, and I haven't seen more tissue degradation but then again its a little hard to tell. All the research I have been doing is pointing me in the direction of a bacterial issue. Does that ring a bell to anyone else? Is the Coral RX enough to treat for that or should I look into getting an antibiotic? 

Again thank you all, love this site!

• Like 1

I've seen similar problems with my acans and it did appear to be bacterial. I didn't have CoralRx at the time so I can't say how effectively it might work.

Have you tried dipping them in Lugol's Iodine?  That seems to be the go-to for bacterial infections with LPS and other corals as well.  I don't believe Coral RX has any iodine in it.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi all! 

Wanted to do a quick update/ photo dump. I realized the tank is coming up on its year university and its still going, yay! Here is my quick and dirty photo update.  After several more disappointments towards the end of the summer I have decided to take a bit more of a relaxed approach.  I have been feeding the tank regularly again after a few moths of keeping it really lean.  I was worried about my hydroids spreading (and they have) but most of the corals did not seem bothered by them so I said "what the heck," and went with it.  The SPS corals for the most part seem to be super happy. I am seeing growth on all the montiporas (finally!) and birdnest, & green millie have never looked better.  

Corals that haven't faired that well during this transition: the micro-lords, euphyllia, ricordea.  After dipping the lords multiple times, and a couple ups and downs, they finally succumb to their aliment and melted :(

My ricordea hadn't been loving their location after I shifted things around and at some point detached.  I see two in shadier spots still hanging on. I have decided not to worry about it too much.  My purple orange ricordea is not looking great either and I am contemplating moving it. 

And finally my orange hammer which I have never had any issues with melted. It happened quickly, it didn't look like brown jelly but I am not 100% sure.  My other hammer and frogspawn seem to be okay for now.. 

Really enjoying all the life on the rock including the algae, really just enjoying it more in general :happy:

20171103-PB038330-HDR

Full tank shot Nov 3 2017

20171103-PB038345

Top down shot Nov 3rd 2017 : Still dealings with some diatoms, and algae, but happy with the color.

20171103-PB038346

Zoa garden, shifted but hasn't grown/ changed too much 

20171103-PB038387

Love this guy and the tiny feather duster :wub:

20171103-PB038349

Back left corner: zoas look sad, but everything else is happy and growing! The sad stylo in the back was pretty unhappy on the sad bed. Attached to the bak wall is slowly recovering at the tips.

20171103-PB038371

This thing is so bright B)

20171103-PB038384

This birdnest has never looked great but this is definitely the best it has ever looked (and is growing!).

20171103-PB038373

My pocillopora is still going strong and is looking pretty.

20171103-PB038357

My newest, and favorite coral, the UC Blue Star Monti.  I was a little worried about this one at first but its now encrusting and its polyps look happy!

20171103-PB038376

Gobies still happy and adorable :happy:

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the fall! 

• Like 3

You've got a great looking little tank!  Could you tell me what the zoas are called that are the closest to the front of the tank?  They have a purple/red skirt, deep green center and more of a slime green color surrounding the center?  They're really cool looking.  

I'm concerned I'm picking out too many green corals, and I think you've done a great job picking up pastel colors that aren't super neon-ish.

On 11/6/2017 at 3:07 PM, TatorTaco said:

You've got a great looking little tank!  Could you tell me what the zoas are called that are the closest to the front of the tank?  They have a purple/red skirt, deep green center and more of a slime green color surrounding the center?  They're really cool looking.  

I'm concerned I'm picking out too many green corals, and I think you've done a great job picking up pastel colors that aren't super neon-ish.

Thank you! Unfortunately I don't know what those guys are called.  That little group was one of the first corals I had in the tank from my local LFS and it came with no name (at least that the employees were aware of).  They have been a super reliable coral. No matter what has happened they have been open and happy. Theres also a tunicate living in between them that I love to observe.  But they are pretty :wub:

https://flic.kr/p/Z3YLPJ

I totally understand! I was super paranoid about green overwhelming the tank.  I really wanted that lighter look and so it took me a long time to get a bright green coral, but I am so happy to have the green in the tank. It really helps balance all the pink/purple and pops! 

On 11/6/2017 at 6:34 PM, Reefkid88 said:

I love this tank,the coral selection is on point !!! 

Thank you! :)

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Wow so its been awhile.  The tank is still up and running.  I must admit though between my new business and some other life happenings it took a backseat. 

I had a some major loses a couple months after those photos were taken. Especially with my SPS.  I lost my green acro thing, and my little pink stylo. Some corals took a beating like the monti digi, the encrusting monti on the highest rock and the green cap like monti. I chalked this up to some changes in my alkalinity.

At some point my Apex display stopped working then it lost connection to my internet.  I couldn't figure it out so Im sure some things changed while the controller was offline. My auto top off broke. Then I managed to knock over my rock work during a water change 🙄 and dislodge some coral.  Then I lost both my green gobies. One managed to jump out between the screen top, and the other just stopped eating.  It made me so sad.

I was so fed up.  So I let the tank go a bit. Coral just kind of survived or didn't. I was not running media but would change the filter floss regularly.  Water changes became infrequent and regular.  I was a bad reefer. Then I noticed all the life. My tank, without the gobies, had sprouted with tons of pods, amphipods, and bristle worms.  Coraline started taken root and some corals started looking better despite the lack of effort.  I decided to take some small steps for the reef.  I bought some cheato and run it in the middle chamber with an led grow light suspended above it.  I also feed phyto for awhile.  Got back on semi regular water changes. Then kind of reassembled the rock work.  Although that may need some work still. 

Things are starting to grow again. I figured out how to connect my Apex to my PC without a display.  Got replacement parts for my ATO, and got it back up and running. I recently added some new coral after a long pause on new additions.  Including a beautiful trumpet coral xenia colony.  Im thinking about adding some gobies again.  Im still working on some issues like constantly battling aiptasia, occasional alage issues in the main display, and figuring out final placement of some of the coral. Im still running with no media but that may change if the tank changes or seems to need it.  Mostly Im happy with my little tank. 

So yay reefing!

31587342678_20d9bbc87d_m.jpg

45410364762_c0ccca2bf3_m.jpg

31587344778_295c305c57_z.jpg

43645206730_9a783d8eb9_z.jpg

45410352062_c24b02bec7_z.jpg

45462438011_e9187c5d6d_z.jpg

• Like 2