SaltCritters.com

travoose's IM Nuvo 10: Retired

travoose

It has been awhile since I have offered any real updates to the tank besides pictures.  I have been very busy with the end of the school year coming up and working a second job.

So I had a  major...my MP10 Powerhead has stopped working.  I looked in my tank last week and noticed the propeller no longer spinning, however, the dryside components seemed to be functioning fine.  So I emailed the company and explained the situation, they had me take pictures and supply some other information (to which I don't remember registering my device, so kudos to them for still taking my damaged wetside).  Any-who...they sent me a new wetside and instructed me to return the damaged wetside; which I will be shipping out today...this process, not because of them, but because of me, took about a week to get resolved.  New wetside works fine, so not really sure what happened to the old one as it doesn't seem like there is much that could go wrong with a wetside that would not be visible when disassembled. 

Also was able to pick-up an Aquariclip for my phone, boy does this thing work wonders for phone photography.  Now I just need to hone my own skills.  I would highly recommend one for someone looking to take better pictures with their phone.

Lastly, I seem to be having an issue keeping inverts...well shrimp and a Porcelain crab.  I had a Peppermint shrimp for the longest time and then it disappeared...then I got another Peppermint shrimp, it too disappeared...then I decided to try a Porcelain crab...which has disappeared...not sure if it is a water issue or predator issue...all of my snails and hermit crabs are untouched....maybe I will wait a few months and try for the shrimp again, as they truly are my favorite.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, travoose said:

It has been awhile since I have offered any real updates to the tank besides pictures.  I have been very busy with the end of the school year coming up and working a second job.

So I had a  major...my MP10 Powerhead has stopped working.  I looked in my tank last week and noticed the propeller no longer spinning, however, the dryside components seemed to be functioning fine.  So I emailed the company and explained the situation, they had me take pictures and supply some other information (to which I don't remember registering my device, so kudos to them for still taking my damaged wetside).  Any-who...they sent me a new wetside and instructed me to return the damaged wetside; which I will be shipping out today...this process, not because of them, but because of me, took about a week to get resolved.  New wetside works fine, so not really sure what happened to the old one as it doesn't seem like there is much that could go wrong with a wetside that would not be visible when disassembled. 

Also was able to pick-up an Aquariclip for my phone, boy does this thing work wonders for phone photography.  Now I just need to hone my own skills.  I would highly recommend one for someone looking to take better pictures with their phone.

Lastly, I seem to be having an issue keeping inverts...well shrimp and a Porcelain crab.  I had a Peppermint shrimp for the longest time and then it disappeared...then I got another Peppermint shrimp, it too disappeared...then I decided to try a Porcelain crab...which has disappeared...not sure if it is a water issue or predator issue...all of my snails and hermit crabs are untouched....maybe I will wait a few months and try for the shrimp again, as they truly are my favorite.

The tank looks great. :)

i learned real fast when I put pulsing Xenia in my tank!  I love it but that stuff went crazy.  

I have an issue with crabs in my tank.... hermits do fine but all other crabs have bit the dust.  Shrimp do fine though. 

• Like 1

Heading out of town for a little while, the new shrimp is starting to cleanup a few bits of aiptasia in the tank, but also has done a number on my prized Frogspawn...he left a few remnants, keeping my fingers crossed that it makes a rebound.

• 4 weeks later...

Made it back from vacation with no losses in the tank.  However, I got to thinking and I decided to head to the dark side of things and try a nano-sized freshwater planted tank.  So I ordered all of the equipment for that yesterday and will be starting a new journey sometime next week.

https://instagram.com/p/BWQy3hEABQU/

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

Well, after a long hiatus from this site and obviously making any posts...I didn't neglect the tank, in-fact I have some coral coming next week from Cultivated Reef's free shipping sale.  The tank is doing alright, a few things have died off here and there and nothing seems to be growing or expanding, but just staying the same. I have kept up with weekly water changes of 25%.  Enjoy the pictures...

• 2 weeks later...

I have chaeto in my middle chamber on the back of my tank...but it always seems to die off after a month or so of it being in there.  I have a light on it and I have adjusted the amount of time that the light stays on to see if that had anything to do with, but no such luck.  Any suggestions on how to keep it alive?  Should I put some sand in there or add anything else?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, travoose said:

I have chaeto in my middle chamber on the back of my tank...but it always seems to die off after a month or so of it being in there.  I have a light on it and I have adjusted the amount of time that the light stays on to see if that had anything to do with, but no such luck.  Any suggestions on how to keep it alive?  Should I put some sand in there or add anything else?

Thanks!

Hmmm... presuming it's not any issue with a lack of nutrients for it grow, maybe there isn't enough flow or something like that? You don't have issues with algae growing and blocking the light, do you?

Nope, it just seems to wilt away after about a month.  I have virtually zero algae growth in the display tank as well.  But I see other people having tremendous success with whatever they put in their fuges to the point where they are cutting it out and throwing/giving it away.

It has been quite some time.  My wife and I just had our first child back in May, that doesn't mean I neglected to take care of the tank, but it does mean that I could not devote extra time or money to the tank besides the traditional upkeep; so no new equipment or coral here, however, there has been a decent amount of coral growth since March, when I last checked in.

Basically, everything seems to be stable and I have been keeping up with my weekly water changes.  Today I snapped some pictures as I had a special helper on the job with me.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Need some advice...I just switched my light from a NanoBox to an AI Prime.  My concern is that the my coral does not seem to be opening as “plump” as it used to.  My Candy Cane coral opens, but not as nearly as full as it had, same with my mushrooms, they never fully inflate to the size they were under the old light.  My Frogspawn seems unfazed, same with my GSP.  I just used the standard settings that came on the light along with the acclimation period.  I guess I know the answer...the light is too bright?  So I should dial it back?  I am not sure what my old settings were on my other light.  I have had the new light on this tank since about early January.  Any advice would be great.

• 9 months later...

I have a 10 gallon IM Fusion tank, kept the standard pump that came with it. The pump has worked just fine for the past four/five years.

Fast forward to yesterday. Nothing in the tank has changed, except the pump has started pushing air into the display water as it pumps from the back chamber.  The pump is fully submerged below the water line so I am not sure where air is getting in at?  I noticed on the stock pump there is a slide that essentially speeds up the pump, in the lowest setting it does not push air, but in the middle or highest setting it has started to push air, but it has always been in the middle or high setting and has not had this problem, until now.  The lowest position, while it does not push air, seems to not provide enough water circulation.

Any advice on what I can do or what I have done wrong? Is this a sign that my pump is dying?

I have the fusion 20, so I can't speak to exactly what might be happening with your pump.  Definitely an odd situation that I haven't personally encountered. Have you checked the return line to see if there are any cracks in it?  Maybe if there are it might be sucking air in through those...

Another thought, are the bubbles being created elsewhere (not by the return pump) and then just being pushed through the pump?

18 minutes ago, Nano_Addict said:

I have the fusion 20, so I can't speak to exactly what might be happening with your pump.  Definitely an odd situation that I haven't personally encountered. Have you checked the return line to see if there are any cracks in it?  Maybe if there are it might be sucking air in through those...

Another thought, are the bubbles being created elsewhere (not by the return pump) and then just being pushed through the pump?

Had not thought about the return line being cracked.  I will inspect that once I get home.

On my Fusion 40 I have 2 pumps with box store vinyl tubing. The seal isn't great, and every now and again, randomly, I hear some air being pushed through. But 4-5 years for the stock pump is pretty decent. Might be time for a change. The mightyjet is pretty nice I hear. Smaller version for the IM10. I run 2 Tunze 1073.008's on my 40, and the IM20 before that. 

On 12/21/2020 at 9:20 AM, travoose said:

Had not thought about the return line being cracked.  I will inspect that once I get home.

11 hours ago, mfield16 said:

On my Fusion 40 I have 2 pumps with box store vinyl tubing. The seal isn't great, and every now and again, randomly, I hear some air being pushed through. But 4-5 years for the stock pump is pretty decent. Might be time for a change. The mightyjet is pretty nice I hear. Smaller version for the IM10. I run 2 Tunze 1073.008's on my 40, and the IM20 before that. 

I looked at the actual line last night, nothing seems to be physically wrong with it,  I cleaned out the line with a pipe cleaner and removed some junk, but not much, put it all back together and have the pump running at 50%, compared the max of about 20% that was only able to do prior to cleaning without pulling in air.  So letting that run last night and today, have not heard any air yet.  Will try to turn the pump up a bit over the next few days.  

Also have ordered a new Sicce pump as well just incase.

But yes, mfield16, you are right, 4-5 years out of a stock pump is great, more than I could have asked for!

• Like 1

Got my original pump working after a thorough cleaning.  Keeping the pump I ordered as a backup and potential future replacement for in the near future.

For anyone wanting an update...things seem to be going well overall.  My GSP has taken off and has started to really grow on the back wall of my tank, which was my original plan.  My Candy Cane coral, which when I purchased it, was only three heads, now it is close to 30.  Last January when I switched my light to an AI I went thru about 3 months where the Candy Cane coral just sat in a brown/transparent state....I really thought I was losing it, but wasn't sure what to do so I figured I would just ride it out and see what happened.  Low and behold this summer it has come back and there are some days that it doesn't open fully, but for the most part it has adapted.  I cut my Frogspawn coral in half and both halves have now doubled; taking me to about eight heads.  

I am starting to run out of room, I know I certainly don't have room to introduce anymore coral...so I am just going to see how much I can keep it growing to make it a fully vibrant and packed tank.

IMG_4207.jpeg

IMG_5173.jpeg

IMG_5175.jpeg

• Like 1

Let us judge if you are out of room! The candy does look great. Well done. 

For perspective, I have 82 coral colonies in my IM 40, and 8 RFA. There's ALWAYS more space. 😜

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, mfield16 said:

Let us judge if you are out of room! The candy does look great. Well done. 

For perspective, I have 82 coral colonies in my IM 40, and 8 RFA. There's ALWAYS more space. 😜

I’d actually like to get a 20 gallon tank.  Right now we are building a house and everything is on hold, so hopefully once we get in I can upgrade the tank.