Innovative Marine Aquariums

travoose's IM Nuvo 10: Retired

travoose

bowen1022, the feather duster is one of the bigger ones I have seen. I just happened to be in a Petco and there it was, calling my name. I just wish I could have found a more vibrant color. I had an awesome green one in a former tank a few years ago, but it wasn't as large as the duster I have now.

• Like 1

ID Help

So I was looking closer at my tank and found these little guys (sorry my picture is not the best). I was thinking Zoanthids...Any guesses?

ID Help

ID Help

So I was looking closer at my tank and found these little guys (sorry my picture is not the best). I was thinking Zoanthids...Any guesses?

Looks like some sort of zoa but I'm not quite sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nothing new going on with the tank, but it has been awhile since I have posted.  The coral and fish are doing well, just watching for growth, which the zoanthids seem to be sprouting two new polyps.  Enjoy the pictures.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.29fedee038c9efec8a454e8734bcb6f0.jpg58bb1984d0aaa_FullSizeRender2.thumb.jpg.b78f4a15471be6d23fb7ea1aad54b4b2.jpg58bb18208115b_FullSizeRender3.thumb.jpg.2e0c6ba4c1f04ba18d1ce4daeebde579.jpg

• Like 2

Looking for any ideas of how to handle a power outage, as I live in Central PA and we are supposedly a mere 15 hours from a Nor'Easter that could potentially drop two feet of snow and cause widespread power outages.  Anyone have any last minute tips?  I am specifically concerned about the water temperature dropping once the power goes out.

7 minutes ago, travoose said:

Looking for any ideas of how to handle a power outage, as I live in Central PA and we are supposedly a mere 15 hours from a Nor'Easter that could potentially drop two feet of snow and cause widespread power outages.  Anyone have any last minute tips?  I am specifically concerned about the water temperature dropping once the power goes out.

Go anywhere that has a sporting goods dept and buy some of those cheap hand warmers you put in your pockets while hunting in cold weather. 

If power goes out, break open and activate handwarmers, duct tape around outside of tank, then wrap blankets around tank to hold heat in. 

Do you have a battery powered air pump? That would come in handy. 

Check your local Petco or Petsmart for one if not,and make sure to get batteries too. 

Good luck!!

I have several friends facing the same thing right now. 

• Like 1

Central PA weathered the storm and I was even able to get my shipment of coral delivered on Friday!  I ordered from Cultivated Reef, and once again I am happy with what came.  I ended up ordering more Zoanthids, Ricordeas, Mushrooms, and I even ventured to order some Clove Polyps.  Out of everything I ordered all is doing well, except the Clove Polyps, hopefully a little more time is all it takes, but I have heard these do not always ship well; so I knew it was a risk I was taking when I ordered.

rsz_fullsizerender_2.thumb.jpg.eb574149163aabcb685d22c3d1b4dc17.jpgrsz_fullsizerender_3.thumb.jpg.c6aae0d9b3002c770e369530210b0b41.jpgrsz_fullsizerender.thumb.jpg.fad0488fbb42366dd0d7a1b97f1fdccd.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Decided just to post a few pictures and a video * here as a minor update.  Things are doing well and now my plan is to just let things grow and mature on their own for the next few months.  The only addition I was toying with was adding Frogspawn if I came across some.

*No longer understand how to add a YouTube link that plays within the thread.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

• Like 1

I had trouble embedding a video too.  Did you try maybe just the basic link to the vid?  I can't remember how I finally got it to work.

Beautiful mushrooms and fish!

@Lula_Mae , I tried putting in just a standard link, but it kept showing up as just that and not the video player within my post :(

Just wanted to document some growth so I can look back at this thread in a few years and laugh at how excited I was after seeing a Zoanthind sprout just two new polyps and grow just a little bit.

58e412cb75a41_FileApr0452808PM.thumb.jpeg.891a9634094e0da7c828554939d54a44.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

It has been quite awhile since I have offered any sort of update.  I recently went to TPP/TFP in Lancaster, PA and purchased Frogspawn, Pulsing Xenia, Candy Cane, some Bumble Bee Snails, and a green Feather Duster; all of these are doing fine, except the Xenia will not pulse in my tank, but has already started to spread.  My various Zoanthids are all starting to spring new polyps, which makes me excited.

One question I have, as I was cleaning out my tank, I noticed that my Chaeto always seems to turn to mush, which is not the way that is comes to me when I buy it...what am I doing wrong?  I leave the fuge light on it 24/7...should I reduce the light cycle? 

Any advice would be welcome!

ry05coupe
8 hours ago, travoose said:

It has been quite awhile since I have offered any sort of update.  I recently went to TPP/TFP in Lancaster, PA and purchased Frogspawn, Pulsing Xenia, Candy Cane, some Bumble Bee Snails, and a green Feather Duster; all of these are doing fine, except the Xenia will not pulse in my tank, but has already started to spread.  My various Zoanthids are all starting to spring new polyps, which makes me excited.

One question I have, as I was cleaning out my tank, I noticed that my Chaeto always seems to turn to mush, which is not the way that is comes to me when I buy it...what am I doing wrong?  I leave the fuge light on it 24/7...should I reduce the light cycle? 

Any advice would be welcome!

You want to give your chaeto a break from the light. A lot of people turn their chaeto light on when their tank lights turn off, then then the chaeto lifts off when the tank lights come on. 

What are your water parameters? You can also starve out chaeto and it will disintegrate. 

Thanks for the advice.  I will try the light schedule switch tomorrow, but it may be too late for this batch of Chaeto...I will also take a look at  the water parameters.

Also got the Instagram links to work properly...apparently you need to make your account public.

Bowen1022

Check your nitrates and phosphates. The cheato needs nutrient to thrive. What light are you using and where did you stuff that cheato? I'm thinking about using it To bring my nutrients down 

I checked my water tonight...

PH: 8.2

Ammonia: .25

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 20

Not sure how I got that high with my nitrates.  I just did a water change on Monday night, all my livestock seems to be fine.  I only have two fish and a few snails/crabs...I guess it could be my filter floss trapping it.  I only feed the tank some reef chilli and brine shrimp once a week, very small amounts.

My cheato is in the middle chamber and I bought the magnafuge light and peeled off the black background on the back outside of the tank in order to have the light solely on that chamber.

I'll be doing another water change tomorrow.

Just an update and a question...

First things first...did a water change and will be doing another one today....ordered new chaeto, along with some other goodies, expected to be delivered today when I get home from work.  I also adjusted the light schedule down to 9 hours a day on my rear chamber that houses the chaeto.

I have learned real quick the Pulsing Xenia spreads like wildfire and basically does what it wants...In a previous tank of mine I could never get it to grow, now every day I see a stalk popping up somewhere in my tank, so I need to get in there and tear that out.

Got a few new heads on my various Zoanthids.

Last, but not least, I have something (bi-valve, mollusk, etc.???), no clue what it is to be honest....I have attached a picture and circled it in green...basically when I walk near the tank it closes and retracts up into the rock work...which is what the poorly drawn arrows represent on the picture...anyone have any clue as to what it is?

Misc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...