Pod Your Reef

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

8 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

You'll probably beat us then, we're hoping to pay off some student loans first lol.  And with two degrees I wound up with a lot. :wacko:

:lol: I'm not sure these are reef safe though!

Ugh... student loans... luckily mine were gone shortly after graduation (sold off stocks my grandparents bought for me when I was born).

After the wedding we'll be looking into moving. No way we're having babies in this tiny house in this shitty neighborhood!! Then I get to look for a new job... need those benefits! ;)

• Like 6
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Ugh... student loans... luckily mine were gone shortly after graduation (sold off stocks my grandparents bought for me when I was born).

After the wedding we'll be looking into moving. No way we're having babies in this tiny house in this shitty neighborhood!! Then I get to look for a new job... need those benefits! ;)

Ooh that's nice!  It's a huge help to have something like that!  I hear ya on the benefits--being unemployed most of the last 8 months has not been fun for me!  Can't wait to start my new job Monday. :happydance:

• Like 6
15 hours ago, kimberbee said:

We're actually planning to start trying 6-12 months after we get married. ;)

Yay :happydance:

Northwest Indiana is nice.  That's the area I grew up in.  Still close to Chicago, but you get the benefits of country living. 

• Like 2

I'm wondering if my Prime will be enough for this Lagoon?  I have 20" now, this will be 24".  I really don't want to buy another light LOL.  Maybe I'll just keep the high light stuff in the center and lower light stuff to the sides. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gena said:

I'm wondering if my Prime will be enough for this Lagoon?  I have 20" now, this will be 24".  I really don't want to buy another light LOL.  Maybe I'll just keep the high light stuff in the center and lower light stuff to the sides. 

I know nothing about the primes :(

4 hours ago, gena said:

Yay :happydance:

Northwest Indiana is nice.  That's the area I grew up in.  Still close to Chicago, but you get the benefits of country living. 

I'm really looking forward to it. A lot of our friends are out there now. 

• Like 1

Many people have cleaner shrimp as part of their clean up crew. I have a skunk cleaner shrimp that I named Rickety Cricket, yes, after the character in It's Always Sunny. 

25839554923_e28b7d95e3_c.jpg

I honestly haven't decided how great of a cleaner he is. He always fights my clowns for food during feeding time, and frequently reaches into the mouths of corals to get a little extra dinner. This is especially true in the case of my acans, plates, and sun corals. I am always chasing after him with the turkey baster! 

34472296181_6ed24a06a5_c.jpg

Every so often, I find him digging in a snail shell, for a dinner of escargot - I'm never really sure if the snails are on the way out, or if he's being... preemptive... I really think I go through more snails with him around, though. 

22943403982_67ceb99c16_c.jpg

He molts every 3-6 weeks and seems to be a happy healthy guy. When I stick my hands in the tank, he usually hops on to check me out, but doesn't stay on for too long. He likes to clean under my nails the most.

24311098949_b2b54442e6_c.jpg

Overall, he's a really fun critter to have in the tank. With his long antenna, he's almost always visible, bobbing around among the coral. Definitely a recommended inhabitant for nano tanks, though I wonder if anything smaller than 20 gallons would be enough room. 

22074114099_80af6bc7fa_c.jpg

• Like 11
4 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Many people have cleaner shrimp as part of their clean up crew. I have a skunk cleaner shrimp that I named Rickety Cricket, yes, after the character in It's Always Sunny. 

25839554923_e28b7d95e3_c.jpg

I honestly haven't decided how great of a cleaner he is. He always fights my clowns for food during feeding time, and frequently reaches into the mouths of corals to get a little extra dinner. This is especially true in the case of my acans, plates, and sun corals. I am always chasing after him with the turkey baster! 

34472296181_6ed24a06a5_c.jpg

Every so often, I find him digging in a snail shell, for a dinner of escargot - I'm never really sure if the snails are on the way out, or if he's being... preemptive... I really think I go through more snails with him around, though. 

22943403982_67ceb99c16_c.jpg

He molts every 3-6 weeks and seems to be a happy healthy guy. When I stick my hands in the tank, he usually hops on to check me out, but doesn't stay on for too long. He likes to clean under my nails the most.

24311098949_b2b54442e6_c.jpg

Overall, he's a really fun critter to have in the tank. With his long antenna, he's almost always visible, bobbing around among the coral. Definitely a recommended inhabitant for nano tanks, though I wonder if anything smaller than 20 gallons would be enough room. 

22074114099_80af6bc7fa_c.jpg

Nice pics!!

I just added one today!  

• Like 1

We loved our fire shrimp Woodhouse.  He was huge for his species and also very sociable. lol  We were very sad when he passed.  He was like 6 years old and we were his 3rd owners.  He was sold both times for tank tear downs due to moving. Perfect gentleman.  

• Like 4

Great pics of Rickety Cricket :wub:

You've inspired me to get a cleaner shrimp for my 40g! Hopefully none of the current inhabitants would eat him...

• Like 4
11 hours ago, lkoechle said:

We loved our fire shrimp Woodhouse.  He was huge for his species and also very sociable. lol  We were very sad when he passed.  He was like 6 years old and we were his 3rd owners.  He was sold both times for tank tear downs due to moving. Perfect gentleman.  

I had a fire shrimp for about 2 weeks. Not sure why he didn't last very long. I've had my cleaner for about 2 years and was wondering how long they usually live. 

10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Great pics of Rickety Cricket :wub:

You've inspired me to get a cleaner shrimp for my 40g! Hopefully none of the current inhabitants would eat him...

Off the top of my head I can't remember what you have in the 40... When I got mine his body was about half as long as my pinky! now he's probably as long as my pointer! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I had a fire shrimp for about 2 weeks. Not sure why he didn't last very long. I've had my cleaner for about 2 years and was wondering how long they usually live. 

Off the top of my head I can't remember what you have in the 40... When I got mine his body was about half as long as my pinky! now he's probably as long as my pointer! 

The main one I worry about is the six line wrasse. I don't think the Coral Beauty, Clowns, or Yellow Watchman Goby will mess with him, though.

On 5/31/2017 at 1:30 PM, kimberbee said:

I know nothing about the primes :(

I'm really looking forward to it. A lot of our friends are out there now. 

Which city/cities?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, gena said:

Which city/cities?

Looking at Winfield/Crown Point. We also have a couple friends in Lakes of The Four Seasons. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Looking at Winfield/Crown Point. We also have a couple friends in Lakes of The Four Seasons. 

I know Crown Point.  We lived in St. John for many years and I totally remember going to a department store in Crown Point with my mom, for shopping.  It was somewhere over there that I got my ears pierced too.  So many years ago but feels like yesterday LOL.

Oh and we would do fishing trips to Cedar Lake often.  I remember warm late afternoon/early summer nights watching storm clouds rolling in and feeling excited about it.  I was more into observing nature than actually fishing :D.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, gena said:

I know Crown Point.  We lived in St. John for many years and I totally remember going to a department store in Crown Point with my mom, for shopping.  It was somewhere over there that I got my ears pierced too.  So many years ago but feels like yesterday LOL.

Oh and we would do fishing trips to Cedar Lake often.  I remember warm late afternoon/early summer nights watching storm clouds rolling in and feeling excited about it.  I was more into observing nature than actually fishing :D.

Nice! St. John is a little further south, and we're trying to get Nick closer to his work in Portage, otherwise we'd probably be looking there too! I'm really getting excited. Once the wedding is over we'll be shifting our focus back to moving!! 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Nice! St. John is a little further south, and we're trying to get Nick closer to his work in Portage, otherwise we'd probably be looking there too! I'm really getting excited. Once the wedding is over we'll be shifting our focus back to moving!! 

It's actually a bit north of Crown Point, on 41.  But it's further west from Portage.  I've lived in East Chicago (don't remember it), St. John, and LaPorte.  West Lafayette for college and Fort Wayne after getting married :).

I'm so excited for you!!!!  Can't wait to find out where you guys settle down :).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gena said:

It's actually a bit north of Crown Point, on 41.  But it's further west from Portage.  I've lived in East Chicago (don't remember it), St. John, and LaPorte.  West Lafayette for college and Fort Wayne after getting married :).

I'm so excited for you!!!!  Can't wait to find out where you guys settle down :).

Haha sorry, I know nothing about Indiana other than that's where the dunes are if I drive west. :lol:

I'll have to learn my way around. We do plan to spend quite a bit of time out there this summer. Some of our friends just got a pool installed and two other couples in the area there will be having babies in the next few weeks to a month or so. Maybe I caught baby fever... 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Haha sorry, I know nothing about Indiana other than that's where the dunes are if I drive west. :lol:

I'll have to learn my way around. We do plan to spend quite a bit of time out there this summer. Some of our friends just got a pool installed and two other couples in the area there will be having babies in the next few weeks to a month or so. Maybe I caught baby fever... 

My sister's having a baby in August.  I am sure there will be some baby fever then! :lol:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, kimberbee said:

If you drive EAST :lol:.  Well, depending on your starting point I guess LOL. 

Last time I was there was 2012.  That whole area has change a ton.  There used to be a lot of cornfields, but it's so developed around that whole area now. 

Baby fever is very contagious!  I didn't want kids, but then a bunch of girls started having babies in the office I worked at.  That was the end of that LMAO.  So crazy.

1 minute ago, gena said:

If you drive EAST :lol:.  Well, depending on your starting point I guess LOL. 

Last time I was there was 2012.  That whole area has change a ton.  There used to be a lot of cornfields, but it's so developed around that whole area now. 

Baby fever is very contagious!  I didn't want kids, but then a bunch of girls started having babies in the office I worked at.  That was the end of that LMAO.  So crazy.

:lol:  And now he's all grown up!  Time goes fast!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, gena said:

If you drive EAST :lol:

What is wrong with me today?? I typed the year as 2015 earlier... 

4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

My sister's having a baby in August.  I am sure there will be some baby fever then! :lol:

I am a little worried they won't want to/be able to hang out as much with a baby around. I've honestly never been around people with weeeee tiny babies so I dunno what it's like. 

• Like 1
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

:lol:  And now he's all grown up!  Time goes fast!

Oh my gosh, it flies!  My 30s were a blur....just raising a little boy who is now almost a man :o .

• Like 1
1 minute ago, kimberbee said:

What is wrong with me today?? I typed the year as 2015 earlier... 

I am a little worried they won't want to/be able to hang out as much with a baby around. I've honestly never been around people with weeeee tiny babies so I dunno what it's like. 

They probably won't have as much time, and will probably be really tired for a while lol.  But I think you just kinda have to be intentional about making time to spend with one another.  And once everyone's got kids you can do playdates and swap off babysitting and such.

At least that's what I hear, since I have no first hand experience myself! :lol: 

The best part is getting to snuggle, and watching the babies grow. :wub:

1 minute ago, gena said:

Oh my gosh, it flies!  My 30s were a blur....just raising a little boy who is now almost a man :o .

It wasn't but a few days ago it seems that my nephew was born, and now he's almost 8!  And soon to be a big brother.  Where did the time go!

• Like 1

Yes, VERY tired.  It's shocking.  Was for me.  Some people can handle it better than others though.  That's why they have 6, 7,  8 kids.  I only had ONE :lol:.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, gena said:

Yes, VERY tired.  It's shocking.  Was for me.  Some people can handle it better than others though.  That's why they have 6, 7,  8 kids.  I only had ONE :lol:.

Haha hubby wants more kids than I do and I tell him I have neither the energy nor the organization for a big bunch of kids!

• Like 2