Jump to content
kimberbee

Kimber's Tank Thread - Year end update

Recommended Posts

teenyreef

Way to go! Time for a party! :happydance:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
J-Ranko

Congrats!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
metrokat

Congratulations on TOTM!!! So exciting!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee

Thanks again for the TOTM love everyone!! 

 

I wanted to take some time to show you my room - So, welcome to my office/craft/fish tank/cat room!! It's a crowded room, but it's nice to have my own space in Nick's small house!! 

 

34064261720_bd9e6589f4_c.jpg

 

 

Cat tree in the corner for my cutey patootie cat, Rho

 

Craft table with light is actually a vanity table - the top lifts up and there's storage (candles) inside!

 

White cabinets hold cat towels and tank towels in upper half, crafting supplies in lower half

 

IM 10 on an IKEA shelving unit that holds all my important papers and desk supplies

 

IM Lagoon 25 on a custom build stand - electrical on a shelf and litter box underneath

 

Plant stand by the window

 

Desk for Desktop and wireless printer - so I can print from my laptop if I'm in the living room!! 

 

Closet - left side is for tank supplies (dry food, additives, test kits, polyfill, chemipure, extra pumps/heaters/tubing...) and the right side is for more craft (yarn) storage and cat supplies (bed covers, treats, brushes, food)

 

Sitting chair which ends up as a dumping ground for junk

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee

So, some of you may know, I hurt my back a few weeks ago doing yard work. April 8th to be exact. I dealt with a sore back for 2 weeks before going to my primary dr, who gave me 5 days of prednisone and a muscle relaxer. Neither really did anything.

 

Last week I started going to a chiropractor, who confirmed my hips were uneven/out of alignment. He wanted to do a few adjustments, give me a few exercises, and that would be it.

 

Well, 3 adjustments later, my back still hurts too much to be able to get to the exercises. He sent me to get x-rays last night, and I'll hopefully get the results tomorrow.

 

I'm just so tired of being in pain. The prednisone made me feel weird, so I'm not interested in getting more from the dr, and advil/aleve just doesn't help much. I don't have much faith that the xrays will show much, but I really hope I get some answers tomorrow... :unsure:

 

Share this post


Link to post
teenyreef
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

So, some of you may know, I hurt my back a few weeks ago doing yard work. April 8th to be exact. I dealt with a sore back for 2 weeks before going to my primary dr, who gave me 5 days of prednisone and a muscle relaxer. Neither really did anything.

 

Last week I started going to a chiropractor, who confirmed my hips were uneven/out of alignment. He wanted to do a few adjustments, give me a few exercises, and that would be it.

 

Well, 3 adjustments later, my back still hurts too much to be able to get to the exercises. He sent me to get x-rays last night, and I'll hopefully get the results tomorrow.

 

I'm just so tired of being in pain. The prednisone made me feel weird, so I'm not interested in getting more from the dr, and advil/aleve just doesn't help much. I don't have much faith that the xrays will show much, but I really hope I get some answers tomorrow... :unsure:

 

Kimber, my wife dealt with a bad back condition for almost a year before it was finally properly diagnosed and fixed (arthroscopic surgery). The drugs are nasty and it's even worse when they stop. Don't hesitate to get more opinions especially from different types of specialists, and don't let them tell you that you just need to work through it if they really don't know what the real problem is. Good luck with the x-rays! 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
spectra

Sucks to here Kimber.......hopefully you get this figured out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee
8 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Kimber, my wife dealt with a bad back condition for almost a year before it was finally properly diagnosed and fixed (arthroscopic surgery).

Thanks for the personal anecdote Teeny!

 

I've had minor lower back pain off and on for a while, though it's usually because I have moved a lot the last 10 years and every time I move I do it myself. This is different. This is a sharp point in my lower left back that is causing me to walk leaning to the right. I'm still having difficulty bending to do things like put on socks and shoes, pick up dog poop from the grass (:wacko:), or even lifting bags of groceries out of the trunk of my car. If the chiro can't give me an answer then I'll be calling up my primary care dr to see if she reviews lower back xrays. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee

WE HAVE A DIAGNOSIS PEOPLE!! omgomgomg

 

Anteriolisthesis... meaning one of my vertebra, the lowest I think, has decided to leave the pack and start moving forward. It does not belong there! So that is what's causing the pain. My next appointment will include another adjustment by the chiropractor as well as an hour long deep tissue massage - doctor's orders!!! 

 

Oh shoot, do you still tip a masseuse if it's for a medical massage... ? She has space within the chiropractor's office. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
Just now, kimberbee said:

WE HAVE A DIAGNOSIS PEOPLE!! omgomgomg

 

Anteriolisthesis... meaning one of my vertebra, the lowest I think, has decided to leave the pack and start moving forward. It does not belong there! So that is what's causing the pain. My next appointment will include another adjustment by the chiropractor as well as an hour long deep tissue massage - doctor's orders!!! 

 

Oh shoot, do you still tip a masseuse if it's for a medical massage... ? She has space within the chiropractor's office. 

Good to hear.  Now hopefully you'll start feeling better.  

 

Not sure about the tip part. I would probably be less likely to tip in a doctors office.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
ReefWeeds

Congrats on TOTM, Kimber!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee
1 minute ago, stellablue said:

Congrats on TOTM, Kimber!

Look who's strolling in late to the party!! :lol: Stick around for a while, we missed you!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
ReefWeeds
6 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Look who's strolling in late to the party!! :lol: Stick around for a while, we missed you!

Ha yeah super late!! 

 

Something had to give the past couple months. But I'm baaaack! Speaking of backs, hope yours gets better! 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Minmay

I hope u feel better soon! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee

Unrelated to my back pain, the x-ray also showed I have just the mildest case of spina bifida. When I was a wee baby the same vertebra that's on the move decided not to finish forming. In severe cases of spina bifida, the vertebra doesn't grow to enclose around the spinal cord completely and this can cause a lot of issues. In my case, the vertebra closed up just enough, but not quite as much as most vertebra. It's such a non-issue for me that the radiologist didn't include it on his report, but the chiropractor showed it to me in the office. I thought it was interesting!!

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae
3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

WE HAVE A DIAGNOSIS PEOPLE!! omgomgomg

 

Anteriolisthesis... meaning one of my vertebra, the lowest I think, has decided to leave the pack and start moving forward. It does not belong there! So that is what's causing the pain. My next appointment will include another adjustment by the chiropractor as well as an hour long deep tissue massage - doctor's orders!!! 

 

Oh shoot, do you still tip a masseuse if it's for a medical massage... ? She has space within the chiropractor's office. 

Good question, I'd probably ask if it's expected.  I do know deep tissue is very hard on my husband's hands so he appreciates when people tip, though he works at a massage clinic and not a doctor's office.

 

He does have clients who come to see him consistently and they do specific targeted work sometimes, and he often has recommendations for stretches and whatnot to help those clients who are seeing him in a medically therapeutic capacity.  It makes him happy when they improve enough to stop seeing hm so often, even though that means less bookings for him.

 

At any rate, I am glad they've got a diagnosis since that is the first step to effective treatment!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee

New video featuring my other tank - the lagoon 25 gallon. Enjoy everyone! 

 

 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
jbb
On 5/6/2017 at 8:31 AM, kimberbee said:

spina bifida

Hey ! 

 

I was the lucky winner of this too ?

 

Back pain is no ueno 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae
12 hours ago, kimberbee said:

New video featuring my other tank - the lagoon 25 gallon. Enjoy everyone! 

 

 

Beautiful tank!  Does Elsa help feed the clowns? :lol:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
FlowerMama

Lookin' good!!!  All colorful and pretty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee

Need to crowd-source some information regarding flooring - Some of you may know we're looking into building a new house. The builder's options for flooring are laminate, hardwood, ceramic tile, vinyl sheets, or carpet. TBH, I don't like any of those options. We have 3 dogs, a cat, and 2 tanks. Anyone who has pets knows they are messy (if it's raining, snowing, muddy, if we end up working later than normal, if someone gets a hairball, if I spill while doing tank maintenance...). So I'm wondering what people might recommend. We are contemplating going with their cheapest options and redoing all the floors ourselves with vinyl planks. Any thoughts or comments?!?!

Share this post


Link to post
lkoechle
12 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Need to crowd-source some information regarding flooring - Some of you may know we're looking into building a new house. The builder's options for flooring are laminate, hardwood, ceramic tile, vinyl sheets, or carpet. TBH, I don't like any of those options. We have 3 dogs, a cat, and 2 tanks. Anyone who has pets knows they are messy (if it's raining, snowing, muddy, if we end up working later than normal, if someone gets a hairball, if I spill while doing tank maintenance...). So I'm wondering what people might recommend. We are contemplating going with their cheapest options and redoing all the floors ourselves with vinyl planks. Any thoughts or comments?!?!

Well I like the bamboo floors in my house for looks but with two dogs, two young children and tanks, it is not the best option. lol  When/if we redo our floors I am going with the tile that looks like wood.  My cousins have that and its passable.  Kind of hard to tell.  I wouldnt do vinyl, our apartment had vinyl and it got trashed real easy and quick and we're pretty clean folks. It was peeling up and this was a brand new apartment.  

So tile is my recomendation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee
2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Well I like the bamboo floors in my house for looks but with two dogs, two young children and tanks, it is not the best option. lol  When/if we redo our floors I am going with the tile that looks like wood.  My cousins have that and its passable.  Kind of hard to tell.  I wouldnt do vinyl, our apartment had vinyl and it got trashed real easy and quick and we're pretty clean folks. It was peeling up and this was a brand new apartment.  

So tile is my recomendation.

We were looking into vinyl planks, which look like laminate planks, lock together the same, are thick (5-8mm), but are 100% vinyl. We have a 150lb dog, so I'm worried whatever we get is gonna get scratched up. Don't you worry the grout on the tile will get dirty/dingy? 

Share this post


Link to post
lkoechle
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

We were looking into vinyl planks, which look like laminate planks, lock together the same, are thick (5-8mm), but are 100% vinyl. We have a 150lb dog, so I'm worried whatever we get is gonna get scratched up. Don't you worry the grout on the tile will get dirty/dingy? 

No, as long you arent going with white grout you cant tell.  My kitchen floors have always been tile and I have never had a problem with them looking dingy.

 

The vinyl in our apartmet wasnt planks... I don't think they were at least. and they were pretty cheap despite the complex's "high end finishes". So I would make sure you know the quality youre getting if you go that route.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee
3 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

No, as long you arent going with white grout you cant tell.  My kitchen floors have always been tile and I have never had a problem with them looking dingy.

 

The vinyl in our apartmet wasnt planks... I don't think they were at least. and they were pretty cheap despite the complex's "high end finishes". So I would make sure you know the quality youre getting if you go that route.

Definitely appreciate your input. Flooring is so damn expensive!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...