Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
32 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Hah!! Funny you say that just as I'm getting ready to set up a tiny tank!! 

My mom has asked to watch Liam one or two weekends each month. I'll get to use that time for deep cleaning the tanks. She watched him Christmas Eve Eve and is going to take him again for New Year's Eve. 

Below is the before and after I posted on Instagram from when she watched him last week.

The algae is slowly getting under control - the cyano is still coming back, but it doesn't look half as bad as it did before the water change. 

Stopped by my old LFS for salt, and they were selling nassarius nails for $3 each... ouch!! No thanks... I'll make due until I can get an order placed with Reef Cleaners - I'll either wait till spring or figure out how to have my package held at a facility...

IMG_20181226_210950_808.jpg

Hey looking good kimber :smilie:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

Hah!! Funny you say that just as I'm getting ready to set up a tiny tank!! 

My mom has asked to watch Liam one or two weekends each month. I'll get to use that time for deep cleaning the tanks. She watched him Christmas Eve Eve and is going to take him again for New Year's Eve. 

Below is the before and after I posted on Instagram from when she watched him last week.

The algae is slowly getting under control - the cyano is still coming back, but it doesn't look half as bad as it did before the water change. 

Stopped by my old LFS for salt, and they were selling nassarius nails for $3 each... ouch!! No thanks... I'll make due until I can get an order placed with Reef Cleaners - I'll either wait till spring or figure out how to have my package held at a facility...

IMG_20181226_210950_808.jpg

If you have a p.o. box you can send stuff there and it will be in the nice climate controlled building. I've done it many a time. You'll get your tanks looking great again, there's already a vast improvement! I'm sorry about the loss of your kitty, it's so hard to lose a pet. I almost hate to ask, but I thought I remembered buying puppy treats last year?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I almost hate to ask, but I thought I remembered buying puppy treats last year?

Yes, we used to have 3 dogs, but are now down to one. The smaller two, a basset hound and a chihuahua mix, went to live with Nick's brother shortly before we moved out to Indiana. We didn't have the time to spend with them or train them - they would get crated at night and then again all day while we were at work. The basset hound was originally Nick's brother's, so it made sense for her to go live with him, and the chihuahua was her bff, so they went together. They are both happy and healthy and get a lot more attention during the day!! We still have the newfie!!

• Like 5
52 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Yes, we used to have 3 dogs, but are now down to one. The smaller two, a basset hound and a chihuahua mix, went to live with Nick's brother shortly before we moved out to Indiana. We didn't have the time to spend with them or train them - they would get crated at night and then again all day while we were at work. The basset hound was originally Nick's brother's, so it made sense for her to go live with him, and the chihuahua was her bff, so they went together. They are both happy and healthy and get a lot more attention during the day!! We still have the newfie!!

Oh good! I'm glad to hear it was a happy thing. I'm sure only one dog was much more manageable too, once baby came along. 

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oh good! I'm glad to hear it was a happy thing. I'm sure only one dog was much more manageable too, once baby came along. 

Yes, he still gets a little shafted with our time, and you can tell he's a bit jealous of the attention we give the baby but thankfully he doesn't do anything about it. The other two were waaaay too hyper!! 

Leak testing done. Evaporation doesn't seem too bad either!!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, spectra said:

What size were the snails. 3 bucks isnt to bad if there the big ones.

Maybe, but I'd rather get more for my money from reef cleaners. Gotta save up my allowance for snails!! :lol:

Pretty sure I caught Toasty having a little drink... 

20181228_222334.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Maybe, but I'd rather get more for my money from reef cleaners. Gotta save up my allowance for snails!! :lol:

20181228_222334.jpg

Reef Cleaners Nassarius are like 1/4", ~6mm. They're not the big ones unfortunately. I bought a few of the 1"+ ones from my LFS for around that price.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Reef Cleaners Nassarius are like 1/4", ~6mm. They're not the big ones unfortunately. I bought a few of the 1"+ ones from my LFS for around that price.

Yep everyone has the smaller ones. I cant find the bigger ones anymore and like those ones.

2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Pffft... I'd rather have the smaller ones 🤷‍♀️

jedimasterben
10 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Nassarius vibex has a maximum recorded shell length of 20mm, most being in the 15mm for adults, so if you're buying them larger then they're probably something else.

But $3 for any size is ridiculous 😮

• Like 1
On 12/29/2018 at 6:09 AM, kimberbee said:

20181228_222334.jpg

Somehow I missed this pic of Toasty.  He looks like our last kitty Elmo.  I will look for a pic to show you.

• Like 1
On 12/29/2018 at 6:09 AM, kimberbee said:

20181228_222334.jpg

Here is a pic of Elmo:

2018-12-30_08-35-42

He was a short hair color point and he had blue eyes.  He has been gone a few years now but he was a cool cat.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

Here is a pic of Elmo:

2018-12-30_08-35-42

He was a short hair color point and he had blue eyes.  He has been gone a few years now but he was a cool cat.

Thanks for sharing! He does look similar to Toasty, very cute!! 😻

• 1 month later...

So what happened in January? 

TLDR; Not much.

The long version is that the month went by way too fast, and I need more baby-free time in the day to get anything done. 

Liam is settling into a routine, which is very helpful. But his naps are short (most are 1 - 1.5 hours) and I use that time to shower, eat, get laundry done, and clean up the house. So the plan was to get water changes and tank maintenance done while he visited my mom overnight 1-2 times a month. Unfortunately, that has not worked out how I'd hoped. It's a long drive to bring him there and before I know it she's bringing him back and visiting us here for the day. What works better is Nick being on Daddy Duty for an afternoon while I am free to work on the tanks as long as I need to. 

There are a few house projects we have in the works. Just before Liam was born we ripped out the half bath on our first floor. We finally got it finished around Thanksgiving, though the ceiling hasn't been painted. Last weekend we re-did the living room flooring - got rid of the disgusting carpet in favor of a nice laminate. We also have plans for the dinning room, den (where the tanks are now) and spare bedroom upstairs. These changes may or may not involve moving the tanks. Time will tell - moving a tank is just a very daunting task. 

More specifically to my tanks- Things are ugly, though stable now since the move. The 10 gallon still has quite a bit of hair algae, and the 25 gallon has cyano issues. I know I can overcome both with more water changes and cleaning my equipment. I did make a 2019 Update video for my tanks if you'd like to give it a look:

• Like 6
54 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

TLDR; Not much.

The long version is that the month went by way too fast, and I need more baby-free time in the day to get anything done. 

Liam is settling into a routine, which is very helpful. But his naps are short (most are 1 - 1.5 hours) and I use that time to shower, eat, get laundry done, and clean up the house. So the plan was to get water changes and tank maintenance done while he visited my mom overnight 1-2 times a month. Unfortunately, that has not worked out how I'd hoped. It's a long drive to bring him there and before I know it she's bringing him back and visiting us here for the day. What works better is Nick being on Daddy Duty for an afternoon while I am free to work on the tanks as long as I need to. 

There are a few house projects we have in the works. Just before Liam was born we ripped out the half bath on our first floor. We finally got it finished around Thanksgiving, though the ceiling hasn't been painted. Last weekend we re-did the living room flooring - got rid of the disgusting carpet in favor of a nice laminate. We also have plans for the dinning room, den (where the tanks are now) and spare bedroom upstairs. These changes may or may not involve moving the tanks. Time will tell - moving a tank is just a very daunting task. 

More specifically to my tanks- Things are ugly, though stable now since the move. The 10 gallon still has quite a bit of hair algae, and the 25 gallon has cyano issues. I know I can overcome both with more water changes and cleaning my equipment. I did make a 2019 Update video for my tanks if you'd like to give it a look:

Great update, loved the video! Your tanks are looking really nice, I especially like all the gorgonians, and I think euphilia would be amazing in the lagoon.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

TLDR; Not much.

Thought Barbie or Elsa we’re gonna start making an appearance in these videos again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

I suppose it's time for another monthly update, huh? 

What happened in February? 

Well, in the lagoon tank, I did a couple of water changes, cleaned off the RW-4, and have just about beaten back the cyano issue completely. Phew!

I've been trying to control the gha in my 10 gallon tank with manual removal (tweezers and toothbrush) but it feels like two steps forward and one step back. I remove about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of algae weekly, but I still have a long ways to go. 

What's the plan for March?

I've been putting off trying to remove some mushrooms from the rockwork in my lagoon tank, and I also need to trim back the dead pieces of my hammer. This requires cutting, chiseling, and I just don't look forward to doing it. 

I also need to double down on gha removal in the little tank because that tank needs to MOVE to the living room and I want it in tip top shape before I do that. 

Both tanks DESPERATELY need a CUC. I was chatting with the lovely miss @banasophia and realized that I'm basically running both tanks cuc-less. Sure there's collonista snails, brittle and asterina starts, but everything else pretty much died during or shortly after my move a year ago. No nerites, turbos... there's ONE hermit in the lagoon and ONE cerith (that actually might be dead now) in the 10 gallon tank. The minute our forecast is 50 or above, I'll put in an order at Reefcleaners! 

• Like 5
mitten_reef
7 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I suppose it's time for another monthly update, huh? 

What happened in February? 

Well, in the lagoon tank, I did a couple of water changes, cleaned off the RW-4, and have just about beaten back the cyano issue completely. Phew!

I've been trying to control the gha in my 10 gallon tank with manual removal (tweezers and toothbrush) but it feels like two steps forward and one step back. I remove about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of algae weekly, but I still have a long ways to go. 

What's the plan for March?

I've been putting off trying to remove some mushrooms from the rockwork in my lagoon tank, and I also need to trim back the dead pieces of my hammer. This requires cutting, chiseling, and I just don't look forward to doing it. 

I also need to double down on gha removal in the little tank because that tank needs to MOVE to the living room and I want it in tip top shape before I do that. 

Both tanks DESPERATELY need a CUC. I was chatting with the lovely miss @banasophia and realized that I'm basically running both tanks cuc-less. Sure there's collonista snails, brittle and asterina starts, but everything else pretty much died during or shortly after my move a year ago. No nerites, turbos... there's ONE hermit in the lagoon and ONE cerith (that actually might be dead now) in the 10 gallon tank. The minute our forecast is 50 or above, I'll put in an order at Reefcleaners! 

Pics, or these are a bunch a words...

• Haha 1

I'm very seriously considering getting a couple of freshwater mollies and converting them to saltwater to help with the gha tufts that I have a hard time getting off the rockwork. 

I don't know if the lfs carries them, but if not, petco and petsmart are close by. It's the closest options - close" being a 45 minute drive away. 

Obviously, I don't trust petsmart/petco and I haven't purchased from the lfs. I would want to qt to protect my current fish. I am thinking of getting 2 mollies, qt-ing in fw for 2 weeks, converting to sw over the course of a day, and then continuing qt in sw for 2 more weeks. 

I'm off to do some research, but if anyone wants to chime in with opinions, thoughts, experiences, or links, please do! Just because I plan to do some research, doesn't mean the little one will give me time to!!

I've not dealt with anything freshwater, the qt process or converting to sw so, I'd like to do it right.

Snow_Phoenix
13 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I'm very seriously considering getting a couple of freshwater mollies and converting them to saltwater to help with the gha tufts that I have a hard time getting off the rockwork. 

I don't know if the lfs carries them, but if not, petco and petsmart are close by. It's the closest options - close" being a 45 minute drive away. 

Obviously, I don't trust petsmart/petco and I haven't purchased from the lfs. I would want to qt to protect my current fish. I am thinking of getting 2 mollies, qt-ing in fw for 2 weeks, converting to sw over the course of a day, and then continuing qt in sw for 2 more weeks. 

I'm off to do some research, but if anyone wants to chime in with opinions, thoughts, experiences, or links, please do! Just because I plan to do some research, doesn't mean the little one will give me time to!!

I've not dealt with anything freshwater, the qt process or converting to sw so, I'd like to do it right.

QTing FW fish are almost the same like SW fish actually - just watch out for the usual signs of diseases and parasites, but treat with meds that are meant for FW fish. Some of the most common diseases in FW fish are Ich, fungus and fin rot. I have no experience in converting a FW fish to SW though - wish I could help, but I daren't chime in for something I haven't done myself. 

• Thanks 1
jedimasterben

If you are converting them to saltwater, there aren't any parasites or bacteria that would survive such a quick transition. Mollies typically do best with 'drop' acclimation, basically just put them in and hope for the best. Generally there's a 50% or so survival rate in my experience, with a lower survival from doing longer acclimation over days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1