SaltCritters.com

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

Well, tonight's water change was... interesting...

When I went to create the siphon for my lagoon, I accidentally missed the bucket with the hose and dumped probably 1/4 gallon of nasty siphon water on the floor. The hose also landed right in my slipper for a second. Sick. I also found out what likely caused the diatom bloom on the sandbed - my return pump was basically pumping nothing because it was jam packed full of snails. Also sick.

I still vacuum the sand every week in the RFA tank, so who knows if I'm sucking up any babies or not. One of the gorgonians receded back in, oh, MAY, and I've been lazy/nervous to chop it up and remount it. There's also quite a bit of hair algae in the back right corner and nothing in my tank seems to want to eat it.

Everything's just truckin' along...

• Like 3

Sounds like my last water change. My 3 year old really wants to help. So I thought he could hold the hose in the bucket for me......yep he got distracted and held the hose outside the bucket.

• Like 3

Sounds like my last water change. My 3 year old really wants to help. So I thought he could hold the hose in the bucket for me......yep he got distracted and held the hose outside the bucket.

Nick heard me yell, "oh sh!t!!" and came running to my rescue. But all he could really do was grab an extra towel at that point!

The wedding dress I ordered online for $34 should be arriving today. omgomgomg

Ohhhh I really hope it turns out to be good enough for the wedding - you never know with online purchases. :scarry:

• Like 3

Well, tonight's water change was... interesting...

When I went to create the siphon for my lagoon, I accidentally missed the bucket with the hose and dumped probably 1/4 gallon of nasty siphon water on the floor. The hose also landed right in my slipper for a second. Sick. I also found out what likely caused the diatom bloom on the sandbed - my return pump was basically pumping nothing because it was jam packed full of snails. Also sick.

I still vacuum the sand every week in the RFA tank, so who knows if I'm sucking up any babies or not. One of the gorgonians receded back in, oh, MAY, and I've been lazy/nervous to chop it up and remount it. There's also quite a bit of hair algae in the back right corner and nothing in my tank seems to want to eat it.

Everything's just truckin' along...

I hope you had your SS slippers on.....

• Like 2

The wedding dress I ordered online for $34 should be arriving today. omgomgomg

Ohhhh I really hope it turns out to be good enough for the wedding - you never know with online purchases. :scarry:

$34 :lol: that's awesome...that'll save you a few hundred to spend at MACNA
  • Like 3

$34 :lol: that's awesome...that'll save you a few hundred to spend at MACNA

It's not white. More like a cream color. I sent a pick to my mom and sis (maid of honor) last night and they bombarded me with THAT MEANS YOU CAN'T HAVE ANYTHING WHITE!! No white table cloths, no white flowers, no white shirts for the guys... :unsure:

Um... no, but close!! Jack sent something foot related in my secret santa gift...

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Glad things are back up and running at Nano-Reef. I should try to post more. New job is still really slow, but I'd been doing a lot of wedding stuff. 

Sadly, MACNA likely won't happen this year. 

• Like 4
10 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Glad things are back up and running at Nano-Reef. I should try to post more. New job is still really slow, but I'd been doing a lot of wedding stuff. 

Sadly, MACNA likely won't happen this year. 

Wait slow at work so you cant post on NR............wedding stuff well wait 600 and you can have it all taken care of at Taco Bell.........Sancho might even be the ring bearer on that one :lol: 

Oh MACNA..............NO this year I am trying.............one place I want to visit.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, kimberbee said:

haha @spectra was that RTF speak? I had to read that twice! 

Nope I knew what I was saying :lol:  600 dollars for a wedding at Taco Bell.......

The NO was actually New Orleans......not actually NO ;) 

14 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I think Spectra was channeling RTF :lol:

EEEEEEWWWWWWW..............I only text him ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Tank Update: Nothing new, though I'm pretty sure the porcelain crab I had in the little tank is gone. I didn't see him hanging around during my last water change. I'm still really bad at feeding and testing - every week when I do a water change I tell myself, "This is the week I get back on track with regular feeding and water testing!!" Annnnnnd I don't do it. BUT, acros are coloring up nicely and my acan has a bunch of new heads soooo...

Life Update: Wedding planning is going well, other than all the money we are spending (oh well). I'm ahead of the game and really don't find it to be difficult or stressful at all. We got confirmation of our honeymoon booked yesterday, so that's another thing off the list. We're going to Punta Cana in November. Towards the end of the month we are going to start seriously planning to move in the next 1-2 years. Our goal is to head to Indiana, but we have to decide where, and if we want to buy vs build. 

That's about it. Oh, they hired my replacement at my old position. I haven't met the guy but our receptionist said he is extremely dorky!! 

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Indiana???  what's in Indiana?

Mainly, Nick's job. He's worked really hard to put himself in a very good position in his career. People know him by name before they've even met him. 

Additionally, SPACE!! I want at least a full acre of land. More would be even better. You can't get that in Illinois unless you wanna go out further from the city (and Indiana, where Nick works). Plus taxes there are lower! 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Mainly, Nick's job. He's worked really hard to put himself in a very good position in his career. People know him by name before they've even met him. 

Additionally, SPACE!! I want at least a full acre of land. More would be even better. You can't get that in Illinois unless you wanna go out further from the city (and Indiana, where Nick works). Plus taxes there are lower! 

Those sound like good reasons to me.  We have 2 acres and I love it.  Unfortunately we do not have low taxes. :-(  O well, I can't complain.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a video Wednesday just before my water change with our new camcorder. But apparently it is somehow set to store the videos on the camcorder and NOT on the SD card. Since I couldn't find any of the cables, I couldn't get it posted like I'd wanted. 

During my water change I fragged one of my gorgonians! :scarry: It has been receding a little because of algae growth since last JUNE!!  I've just been too nervous to do anything about it until now. So far, the two pieces are doing well! 

My 6 random acro frags have finally colored up since moving a YEAR ago, so those are ready to go to new homes if I can find them. I went to move my setosa and it broke, so I have 8 pieces of that to get rid of now too! And lastly, my grube's gorgonian has been growing like crazy!! I will need to frag at least a few pieces of that off soon. There was a little nub that happened to somehow grow in my lagoon tank (most of it is in the 10) and it's gotten about 3 inches all in the past year! 

• Like 4

Dang she has a voice :lol: 

Do you have a RO unit or just buy your water? You may want to look into a small brute and just mix in there. I use a 20 gallon and it works great. I hate a bunch of buckets. Oh and good job of not getting your feet in there ;)

Ok I heard you have an RO......so get a little bigger container......

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, spectra said:

Dang she has a voice :lol: 

Do you have a RO unit or just buy your water? You may want to look into a small brute and just mix in there. I use a 20 gallon and it works great. I hate a bunch of buckets. Oh and good job of not getting your feet in there ;)

Ok I heard you have an RO......so get a little bigger container......

It's too heavy if I get a bigger bucket! I overflow my stuff constantly, so if it fits in the sink, I don't make a mess on the floor. I make the water at the kitchen sink and have to lug it into my room. So... the jugs work fine for me for now! 

• Like 2
Just now, kimberbee said:

It's too heavy if I get a bigger bucket! I overflow my stuff constantly, so if it fits in the sink, I don't make a mess on the floor. I make the water at the kitchen sink and have to lug it into my room. So... the jugs work fine for me for now! 

Ok I see. I just make in in the garage in the 20 and then transfer it into a bucket to bring into the house.

I figured if you made the water in there you could just put a pump and a hose into it and add it to the tanks that way.

Just looked like to many containers to me :lol:

• Like 2