Coral Vue Hydros

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
14 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Soooo........ Mr Kimberbee is a "performer"? 

Holyshit that's actually pretty awesome. He's a very famous mouse omgomgomg

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
17 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

You guys get me first that space age cat litter pod thing and now....  I need a smoke

I would have thought he'd be huge over there. I always thought electronic was huge in the uk

• Like 1

Hopefully the part I need for my duo will be arriving today. Very much looking forward to getting the lights in order on all three tanks.

I think my black sun coral is more sensitive to parameters than my last one. Despite feeding a bit more, it's not doing great. 😕

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Hopefully the part I need for my duo will be arriving today. Very much looking forward to getting the lights in order on all three tanks.

I think my black sun coral is more sensitive to parameters than my last one. Despite feeding a bit more, it's not doing great. 😕

How can you tell with sun corals.. I've never had them before. Do they close up like other coral?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

How can you tell with sun corals.. I've never had them before. Do they close up like other coral?

The issue with sun corals is getting them to open up.  Once they open and you feed them, they are easier.  

Dendros are supposedly easier than suncoral though.  I actually just picked one up yesterday. Guy cut a fresh frag for me on the bandsaw and 30 seconds of being in the bag it was opened again.  Whole ride home, dipping, and dropping it in my tank it stayed open.  

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
10 minutes ago, patback said:

The issue with sun corals is getting them to open up.  Once they open and you feed them, they are easier.  

Dendros are supposedly easier than suncoral though.  I actually just picked one up yesterday. Guy cut a fresh frag for me on the bandsaw and 30 seconds of being in the bag it was opened again.  Whole ride home, dipping, and dropping it in my tank it stayed open.  

Oh nice! Thanks for the info on them. Only thing I know is you have to feed them :smilie:

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh nice! Thanks for the info on them. Only thing I know is you have to feed them :smilie:

I had an orange sun coral for about 3 years and a black sun coral for about a year. When I moved they both died. A few months ago I bought a new sun coral. 

In my experience, while feeding every day is great, they can still survive and grow slowly on every other day... every 2-3 day feedings. That's what I did with mine, and I really had no problems. They were closed most of the day, opening up in the evening (feeding time), and open most of the night. 

It seems that when I hit 3 weeks past a water change, the black sun coral starts to recede and not open as much even,  though I've still been feeding every other day. If I test/dose or do a water change the receding stops. But if I go another 3-4 weeks between water changes, it's not enough to regrow, and receding happens again. 

But, this is just my experience that I've observed the last few months.

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I had an orange sun coral for about 3 years and a black sun coral for about a year. When I moved they both died. A few months ago I bought a new sun coral. 

In my experience, while feeding every day is great, they can still survive and grow slowly on every other day... every 2-3 day feedings. That's what I did with mine, and I really had no problems. They were closed most of the day, opening up in the evening (feeding time), and open most of the night. 

It seems that when I hit 3 weeks past a water change, the black sun coral starts to recede and not open as much even,  though I've still been feeding every other day. If I test/dose or do a water change the receding stops. But if I go another 3-4 weeks between water changes, it's not enough to regrow, and receding happens again. 

hmm, wonder what causes it? Doesn't like when nutrients get too high? I will say they are cool looking, but I don't see me ever having them lol.

4 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

hmm, wonder what causes it? Doesn't like when nutrients get too high? I will say they are cool looking, but I don't see me ever having them lol.

🤷‍♀️

Just one of those weird things. Sun corals do better for me than torches and acans. I hope to collect a few more colors. 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
17 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

🤷‍♀️

Just one of those weird things. Sun corals do better for me than torches and acans. I hope to collect a few more colors. 

Oh that would be cool :smilie:. I for some reason can't keep soft corals lol. It's so intriguing how some things do well and some things don't. Craziness I tell ya :lol: 

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

The issue I had with black sun coral is that the faintest touch, their flesh wipes off of the skeleton.  Not sure how much that aids in its survival, but it cant be good for them. 

I gave up on actual sun corals.  I'll give this dendro thing a try and other than this one, I'm done with non photosynthetic. 

• Like 3

Next new video:

Would people be interested in seeing the "guts" of my NanoBox? I was considering filming how I... troubleshoot-ed... troubleshot-ed... figured out what was wrong and the process of fixing it. 

What else would you guys want to see?

• Like 4
5 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I have been trying out NPS in my tanks and I have not fed mine at all. They eat what they catch. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Where is Elsa ? 

She's back in the basement. We packed a bunch of office stuff up and shoved it all out of the way when we moved the new desks in. Maybe I'll let her out eventually...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
18 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

She's back in the basement. We packed a bunch of office stuff up and shoved it all out of the way when we moved the new desks in. Maybe I'll let her out eventually...

Go rescue your woman @jack1978

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

Where is Elsa ? 

1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

Go rescue your woman @jack1978

ELSA!!!!!!! 

• Haha 4
8 hours ago, patback said:

Dendros are easy, P-Cakes.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, jack1978 said:

ELSA!!!!!!! 

Ok since I'm still pretty new, what is this Elsa business?? Kimber, did you dress as Elsa or something one year for Halloween???

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Ok since I'm still pretty new, what is this Elsa business?? Kimber, did you dress as Elsa or something one year for Halloween???

No, thank god... 

Jack just has a fascination with girl's dolls... it's the opposite of my foot aversion... 

(He needs help...)

• Haha 4