SaltCritters.com

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

Good news today:

The acan death slowed significantly. I have one good head, 2 damaged heads, and 2 babyheads left. I'm hopeful at least the one will survive, but damn, what a setback!

I managed to get sand added to the new IM 20 today. My mom is taking the little one this weekend so I am hoping I can get the transfer started then!!

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

The Great Tank Swap of 2019 happened the first weekend in May and was very successful!! 

I did however lose my little goby. Not sure why. It just stopped coming out a few days after the tank swap. I could still see it for a few days and could tell it was breathing. Then one morning it was gone. RIP lil dude. Didn't even get the chance to name it. 

I'll have a proper update later this week hopefully - the office has been a disaster for a few months now while I was trying to take care of TGTS. My new desk should be here later today, so I can finally get my things back into place. I kind of hate being in the office since it's so messy, so I haven't spent a ton of time on Nano-Reef.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

The Great Tank Swap of 2019 happened the first weekend in May and was very successful!! 

I did however lose my little goby. Not sure why. It just stopped coming out a few days after the tank swap. I could still see it for a few days and could tell it was breathing. Then one morning it was gone. RIP lil dude. Didn't even get the chance to name it. 

I'll have a proper update later this week hopefully - the office has been a disaster for a few months now while I was trying to take care of TGTS. My new desk should be here later today, so I can finally get my things back into place. I kind of hate being in the office since it's so messy, so I haven't spent a ton of time on Nano-Reef.

Sorry to hear about your goby 😢, but glad to hear the tank swap was a success otherwise! Looking forward to new pics!! 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

How’s everything going @kimberbee? Feeling more settled? Hope your summer is going well!

Hi!! 🙋‍♀️

The tanks are doing well, despite both having a ton of diatoms. Summer has been very busy, but in the best way possible. We're getting ready for a 10 day vacation in a few weeks, so I've been doing more tank maintenance lately than I have all year! 

A proper update is on my to do list!!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Anybody still here?

Our vacation went well and everything survived. I had the tank sitter malensure the ato containers were full AND I trusted him enough to feed the tanks some pre measured pellets. More for the sake of my black sun coral tjan anything else. 

Thankfully, no equipment failed, though the rw-4s in both tanks stopped working a few days after we got home. Figures. 

Diatoms and lots of algae on the glass is the extent of the damage I came home too. 

Planning a proper video update soon!

• Like 7
34 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Anybody still here?

Our vacation went well and everything survived. I had the tank sitter malensure the ato containers were full AND I trusted him enough to feed the tanks some pre measured pellets. More for the sake of my black sun coral tjan anything else. 

Thankfully, no equipment failed, though the rw-4s in both tanks stopped working a few days after we got home. Figures. 

Diatoms and lots of algae on the glass is the extent of the damage I came home too. 

Looking forward to the update 🙂 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Anybody still here?

Good vacation and a dirty tank sounds good to me. Cant wait for the Video

• Like 1
On 9/18/2019 at 3:58 AM, Ratvan said:

Good vacation and a dirty tank sounds good to me. Cant wait for the Video

Was gonna do water changes Thursday and Friday, but didn't realize I was completely out of RO/DI water. My plan was to take new videos after the water changes and get them edited posted for Monday. 🤷‍♀️

Water changes are happening today so I'll at least get new FTS's posted this evening. 

I'm thinking about swapping all the rocks in my tanks again... 😬

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Tanks are all cleaned up. I took a couple pics for Instagram, but they aren't that great, so I'll try to get a few more tomorrow. It's been a gloomy day so the lighting suuuucks. 

For some reason, there a bunch of huge amphipods chilling out in the filter floss of my inTank baskets. I've been catching them whenever I switch out the floss, and give them to my clownfish as a snack. They seem to enjoy it. 

Lastly, if anyone has a way to curb the growth of mushrooms, I'd love to know. The blue ones in my tank like to pop out babies like crazy. I have enough and would rather have my rock covered in euphyllias over mushrooms. 

• Like 3

I was just sitting here, thinking how nice it was to have clean tanks. I hate the thought of doing water changes, but now that they are done, the tanks look great and the corals look happy. 

I got up to take a look at everything again - you know, to make sure nothing got knocked over, and that everything was turned back on after the water change. 

And then... I spied a crab molt in the lagoon. I DON'T HAVE ANY CRABS!! 😭

20190922_185506.thumb.jpg.62ceb28235b50da03bdf5e8fab81bd9e.jpg

And now, cause I'm just that lucky, I'm sure I'm gonna have to figure out how to get this guy out. Because surely it's a baddy and I don't want him to start destroying things. I plan to get the molt out of the tank to see if it helps with ID'ing it.

I'm probably going to have nightmares of crabs now. 🤬

• Haha 3
  • Wow 2

I DO NOT LIKE FINDING THINGS IN MY TANK THAT I DIDN'T PUT THERE AND DON'T WANT!! 

20190922_202941.thumb.jpg.7aa967599afcf2dff72ce14bf3e2631f.jpg

😭😭😭

It's under a glass jar now with something to weigh it down. I'm only a little afraid it's going to come for me in my sleep. 

And by a little, I mean I'm definitely unnecessarily worried.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
19 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I DO NOT LIKE FINDING THINGS IN MY TANK THAT I DIDN'T PUT THERE AND DON'T WANT!! 

20190922_202941.thumb.jpg.7aa967599afcf2dff72ce14bf3e2631f.jpg

😭😭😭

It's under a glass jar now with something to weigh it down. I'm only a little afraid it's going to come for me in my sleep. 

And by a little, I mean I'm definitely unnecessarily worried.

Put it in the dryer. 😄

definitely looks looks like a bad dude......cute but bad. 

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1

Thanks to Snow_phoenix for helping me determine it's likely a xanthid or possibly gorilla crab. Either are bad guys. 

I'm kind of hoping the molt was really just a dead crab, but just in case it wasn't I'll be getting some sort of trap together to try to catch it. 

I just hope I don't end up in another polyclad flatworm situation where I keep it in a vase for months till it dies... I don't like killing things. 😖

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Thanks to Snow_phoenix for helping me determine it's likely a xanthid or possibly gorilla crab. Either are bad guys. 

I'm kind of hoping the molt was really just a dead crab, but just in case it wasn't I'll be getting some sort of trap together to try to catch it. 

I just hope I don't end up in another polyclad flatworm situation where I keep it in a vase for months till it dies... I don't like killing things. 😖

I kept on finding claws just like the ones on that guy. Never found the owner though. 

• Wow 1

🤬

I found the crab's hidey hole, and I kind of wish I hadn't. That means I have to put in effort to evict him, and once I do... 

I *really* don't want to murder him. Nick said he'll do it, but then I'm still an accomplice. I'll have been the one to bring him to his murderer. 

Contemplating the easiest, cheapest, setup that might hold him for a while. I really wish I had a more positive ID. 

20190923_202248.thumb.jpg.73a00d7cc4b4e88070f60d6e878b8ed6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2
23 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

🤬

I found the crab's hidey hole, and I kind of wish I hadn't. That means I have to put in effort to evict him, and once I do... 

I *really* don't want to murder him. Nick said he'll do it, but then I'm still an accomplice. I'll have been the one to bring him to his murderer. 

Contemplating the easiest, cheapest, setup that might hold him for a while. I really wish I had a more positive ID. 

Mail him to @WV Reefer. She’ll set up a great tank for him and then put him in her dryer to “warm” him up a bit...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

You are kindhearted to want to save this poor little crab, even though it is highly unwanted in your system... but in this case I think the easiest and most humane solution would be to catch it and then euthanize it by putting it in your freezer. I hate to kill anything too, but I ended up doing the freezer method with some coral-eating limpets in my system, and in hindsight I think it was the easiest and best choice. 😞

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, kimberbee said:

🤬

I've seen a few Pest systems now using the TMC Microhabitat 15 Aquariums. Think they're 3-3.5G

• Like 1
8 hours ago, kimberbee said:

🤬

I'd totally take him if you lived nearby. My nano is slowly turning into crabtank anyway. This guy might look like a good fit with my crazy crew. 🤔

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I've seen a few Pest systems now using the TMC Microhabitat 15 Aquariums. Think they're 3-3.5G

Too bad I just took down my pico contest tank!! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

• Like 2
8 hours ago, billygoat said:

You are kindhearted to want to save this poor little crab, even though it is highly unwanted in your system... but in this case I think the easiest and most humane solution would be to catch it and then euthanize it by putting it in your freezer. I hate to kill anything too, but I ended up doing the freezer method with some coral-eating limpets in my system, and in hindsight I think it was the easiest and best choice. 😞

You're talking to the person who kept a polyclad flatworm in a vase for a few months cause I didn't wanna kill him... 🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 1