Top Shelf Aquatics

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

16 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

No, as long you arent going with white grout you cant tell.  My kitchen floors have always been tile and I have never had a problem with them looking dingy.

The vinyl in our apartmet wasnt planks... I don't think they were at least. and they were pretty cheap despite the complex's "high end finishes". So I would make sure you know the quality youre getting if you go that route.

It was vinyl sheets. It also was low quality and poorly installed.

I personally recommend the ceramic tile for durability. Dropping hard items will obviously risk cracking or chipping the tile, but for everyday wear and tear, dogs, cats, and tank water, its the best IMO. Definitley the best for moisture, hairballs, etc

Laminate is scratch resistant but does poorly with moisture. I would never recommend hardwood with dogs. It may not be a bad idea to go cheap and redo it but flooring is one of those projects i dont want to do myself :P

• Like 2
kimberbee
11 minutes ago, skoechle said:

Laminate is scratch resistant but does poorly with moisture. I would never recommend hardwood with dogs. It may not be a bad idea to go cheap and redo it but flooring is one of those projects i dont want to do myself :P

This is what we're leaning towards. But I can't redo floors on my own, so most of the work falls on my fiance. He just worked 14 days in a row, and before that, 29 days in a row. 100+ hour weeks. Great for the money so we can get the house, not great for getting these silly projects done!! 

Not sure if you are familiar with seamless flooring. Its mainly used in the medical field (pharmacy iv rooms / OR rooms / patient rooms / etc.) Its easy to clean, and comes in a wide variety of styles.  Some look like modern wood floors, aged wood, solid colors , even water. 

After working around it for the last 10 years and seeing the variety available, I am highly considering it when i purchase my next house.  

https://www.armstrongflooring.com/commercial/en-us/market-segments/healthcare-flooring.html

• Like 1
kimberbee
8 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

After working around it for the last 10 years and seeing the variety available, I am highly considering it when i purchase my next house.  

Niiiice. The vinyl planks we were looking at are one of the products they carry. Probably better quality than Menards though. Also nice to see their information regarding the different hardness of hardwood - though I know that needs regular maintenance. Thanks!! 

kimberbee
2 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

The 25 lagoon looks great!  Where you planning on building that new house of yours???

We'll probably be moving out to Indiana. A lot of our friends are out there and it puts him closer to work. 

• Like 1
On 5/6/2017 at 6:04 AM, kimberbee said:

Oh shoot, do you still tip a masseuse if it's for a medical massage... ? 

Rule of thumb....happy ending tip....no happy ending no tip ;) :lol:

• Like 4

Go with hardwood or the vinyl planks. Good quality solid hardwood will add value to your house when it comes time to move. Although the some of the vinyl planks look just as good and really hold up to abuse. 

• Like 2
kimberbee
11 hours ago, Sancho said:

Go with hardwood or the vinyl planks. Good quality solid hardwood will add value to your house when it comes time to move. Although the some of the vinyl planks look just as good and really hold up to abuse. 

Might do hardwood in the bedrooms upstairs, as the dogs won't be up there as much. 

Getting my massage and adjustment tonight, which I'm hoping helps, as my back has not improved any over the past week or so. Sleeping through the night has been difficult too...  

cnseekatz

Out here in Californie, a big trend is the ceramic tile that looks like hardwood. It's relatively inexpensive, goes down super easy, and is pretty much bomb-proof. I really like the look.

Image result for wood tile

• Like 7

Hey guys! Some close up shots for you today! Enjoy!! 

Bristle worm in the lagoon:

33792801383_592380b82d_c.jpg

Rickey Cricket hoarding all the wormies! 

34472296181_6ed24a06a5_c.jpg

Duncan:

34602660195_e9ede11267_c.jpg

Squiggy trying to take a nap in the duncan:

34602667115_c9de824743_c.jpg

RFA's:

34561275636_dd32a577a2_c.jpg

33792809703_811ebe5423_c.jpg

Pluto is still VERY shy:

33792815293_2a76c9b95f_c.jpg

• Like 16

What what?!? It's Video Saturday!!! 

This week's video was filmed with 3 different cameras! 

Hope you all enjoy! 

• Like 9
7 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Hope you all enjoy! 

Cool!!

How often do you feed them?

Where's the video of Elsa eating??

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Hope you all enjoy! 

Om nom nom nom nom!

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Cool!!

How often do you feed them?

Where's the video of Elsa eating??

They get dinner when my fish get dinner. A couple of times a week. 

11 hours ago, holy carp said:

Great pics and plate feeding video. Awesome how you got the footage of the mouth!

I have a waterproof point and shoot. It was just very hard to keep it still!!

• Like 1

Wanted to add, other than more Elsa videos, if there's any suggestions, or questions, or suggestions, I'm happy to add them to future videos!! 

Andromeda the clownfish was purchased from a LFS in May of 2015. Her initial home was an IM 20 that was a mixed reef tank with mostly RFA's. She pretty much had the run of the place, and her only roommate was a small spotted anemone shrimp (Cassiopeia). She did have another tank mate for a short while (a scooter blenny) but unfortunately he didn't last very long.

17897300978_0e462df118_c.jpg

22723314140_9442048471_c.jpg

20393861174_293f5c7fdd_c.jpg

22335572073_befa43cbd2_c.jpg

She can be a little monster sometimes on maintenance day - she bites!! Any time I need to get my hands in the tank, she attacks me - especially during water changes, or when I need to move my gorgonians that sometimes get carried away in the current. She just doesn't want me in her business. She was sold to me as a "Swoop/Swirl Clownfish" but a little bit of research, and I was able to determine she was a DaVinci Grade B Ocellaris.

26777061676_682902d163_c.jpg

About a year after I set up the IM 20, I moved in with my fiance. His house is small and I almost had to pick between keeping Lenny and Squiggy from the old biocube, or keeping Andromeda and the IM 20. He was going to give me ONE of his spare bedrooms to use as my office/craft/fish tank/cat room and I didn't see how two tanks would fit. I got out my graph paper and was able to arrange the room to fit all of my stuff and two fish tanks, though I did have to downsize the 20 gallon tank to to an IM 10.

26343352526_0c05f7739a_c.jpg

For the new tank, I kept one of the rock structures from the original tank and filled it with RFA's and gorgonians. I choose to stick with this "theme" since the RFA's and gorgs get along without stinging each other, and mixing corals like I had been doing in the IM 20 could be very nerve wracking when an RFA decided to go for a walk. 

33753915731_862df2c949_c.jpg

Andromeda now has a new roommate, a Pink-Streaked Wrasse named Pluto who moved in about a month ago. They seem to get along pretty well and sometimes swim around together. 

19357399082_0963a5edd3_c.jpg

22235108056_2bb21835fc_c.jpg

• Like 11
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Andromeda the clownfish was purchased from a LFS in May of 2015. Her initial home was an IM 20 that was a mixed reef tank with mostly RFA's. She pretty much had the run of the place, and her only roommate was a small spotted anemone shrimp (Cassiopeia). She did have another tank mate for a short while (a scooter blenny) but unfortunately he didn't last very long.

About a year after I set up the IM 20, I moved in with my fiance. His house is small and I almost had to pick between keeping Lenny and Squiggy from the old biocube, or keeping Andromeda and the IM 20. He was going to give me ONE of his spare bedrooms to use as my office/craft/fish tank/cat room and I didn't see how two tanks would fit. I got out my graph paper and was able to arrange the room to fit all of my stuff and two fish tanks, though I did have to downsize the 20 gallon tank to to an IM 10.

For the new tank, I kept one of the rock structures from the original tank and filled it with RFA's and gorgonians. I choose to stick with this "theme" since the RFA's and gorgs get along without stinging each other, and mixing corals like I had been doing in the IM 20 could be very nerve wracking when an RFA decided to go for a walk. 

Andromeda now has a new roommate, a Pink-Streaked Wrasse named Pluto who moved in about a month ago. They seem to get along pretty well and sometimes swim around together. 

So, how are you "coping" with the downsize from IM20 to IM10?  (Tank(s)) look great!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

22723314140_9442048471_c.jpg

20393861174_293f5c7fdd_c.jpg

22335572073_befa43cbd2_c.jpg

She can be a little monster sometimes on maintenance day - she bites!! Any time I need to get my hands in the tank, she attacks me - especially during water changes, or when I need to move my gorgonians that sometimes get carried away in the current. She just doesn't want me in her business. She was sold to me as a "Swoop/Swirl Clownfish" but a little bit of research, and I was able to determine she was a DaVinci Grade B Ocellaris.

26777061676_682902d163_c.jpg

19357399082_0963a5edd3_c.jpg

22235108056_2bb21835fc_c.jpg

Andromeda has absolutely gorgeous markings!!!!

• Like 1