Top Shelf Aquatics

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

2 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I wrote about in my journal this morning.

I'll check it out. Let me know how Fritz goes for you!!

2 hours ago, NaturallyKait said:

I use Fritz.

Thanks! I'll look into it as an option!

2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I use Reef Crystals........ cheap and everyone sells it. 

I'll check on that one too, I know you have really nice tanks!!

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, kimberbee said:

I'll check it out. Let me know how Fritz goes for you!!

Thanks! I'll look into it as an option!

I'll check on that one too, I know you have really nice tanks!!

I will. I'm gonna finish up my last bag of live aquaria salt then move on to fritz. I'm gonna experiment and see how much the alk drops with it just hanging out.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I can get a big bag of 200g worth of salt for $70 and it lasts me months. 

I just got a bucket last week from the LFS cause I needed it asap... total came to $86... 😱

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
5 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I just got a bucket last week from the LFS cause I needed it asap... total came to $86... 😱

Yeah it's not cheap. That's the only thing that sucks about it. I'm not sure why they charge less for the big bag than Amazon does for a huge bucket, but hey, it's not a terrible deal since it's lasting me well over a month, and comes out to many water changes.

• Like 1

Have used Fritz, Kent, Reef Crystals and also black and blue bucket...………...

I still use the black and blue buckets...………..yes the ALK mixes high but if your just looking for normal salt am sure the reef crystals will work great. Or just stick with blue bucket...…..

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Not happy this evening... would be greatful for anyone who can help: 

If nothing else looks affected I would’t change anything just for the duncan. Sometimes things just punk out and give up. You’d feel worse if you changed something and it killed the rest of your corals. Have you changed the flow/position of your power heads lately?

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

If nothing else looks affected I would’t change anything just for the duncan. Sometimes things just punk out and give up. You’d feel worse if you changed something and it killed the rest of your corals. Have you changed the flow/position of your power heads lately?

Yes, I very much agree with not changing too much for the sake of one coral. I thought I'd ask for input in case there was something small I was overlooking. So far, doesn't seem like it. 😕

I did dose a bit of mg, swapped out one of the two packets of chemipure blue, and scooched my palys a few inches away from the duncans. Flow has not had a significant change the past few weeks. 

I have had this piece from almost the beginning - stared off with 2 or 3 heads and grew to over 30 heads before "the big move disaster of spring 2018" at which point about 1/2 of it died off. It's been doing ok since then, but hasn't popped out new heads at the speed it used to. 

• Like 1

I'm mixing up some saltwater for a water change this afternoon. Just a quick 4 gallons, but it shouldn't hurt anything to give it a try. 

A lot of what I've been reading says that sometimes this just happens with no reason even though parameters are good. 🤷‍♀️ Trying not to be too down about it, but it's kind of occupying my mind a lot today. 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I'm mixing up some saltwater for a water change this afternoon. Just a quick 4 gallons, but it shouldn't hurt anything to give it a try. 

A lot of what I've been reading says that sometimes this just happens with no reason even though parameters are good. 🤷‍♀️ Trying not to be too down about it, but it's kind of occupying my mind a lot today. 

I wish I had some wisdom for you Kimber 😟. I hope it recovers for ya. Just keep everything stable and it might pull through.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just stopping by to say I really like these tanks, love all those gorgonians especially! And your IM lagoon has a great scape with nice depth.

Sorry to hear about your duncan though. My only thought looking at your IG post is that maybe your water is too clean? Nitrates 0 and what about phosphates? Not sure if you direct feed but the healthy heads may benefit from some mysis or pellets. Hope things work out 😞 

• Like 5
11 hours ago, M&C said:

Just stopping by to say I really like these tanks, love all those gorgonians especially! And your IM lagoon has a great scape with nice depth.

Sorry to hear about your duncan though. My only thought looking at your IG post is that maybe your water is too clean? Nitrates 0 and what about phosphates? Not sure if you direct feed but the healthy heads may benefit from some mysis or pellets. Hope things work out 😞 

Thanks for stopping by!!

I don't have a phosphate test, and I'm really surprised nitrates read 0. I do water changes only every 2-4 weeks but heavily feed the tank 3x a week. Everything else is doing great great though so... 🤷‍♀️

The polyp that started to shrivel Wednesday and half detached by Friday is still hanging on. We'll see how it looks when lights come on this afternoon.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
12 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Thanks for stopping by!!

I don't have a phosphate test, and I'm really surprised nitrates read 0. I do water changes only every 2-4 weeks but heavily feed the tank 3x a week. Everything else is doing great great though so... 🤷‍♀️

The polyp that started to shrivel Wednesday and half detached by Friday is still hanging on. We'll see how it looks when lights come on this afternoon.

Hope you get it figured out. Sucks not knowing what causes things to happen.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I don't like cross-posting but could really use help interpreting these tests... 

I’d say phosphate looks like 0 and 0.25, nitrate looks like 0 and 10... but definitely get other interpretations! I always get my kiddo and my hubs to read mine independently as well cuz my vision isn’t the greatest! 😜 I do like the Red Sea Algae Pro tests that have the little wheel, but I use API sometimes too. 🤗

• Like 3

Well, it's been 6 months since The Great Tank Swap of 2019. Other than the duncan bailout issue, things are looking pretty good! 

Nuvo 20 - Flower Garden

20191104_175804.thumb.jpg.1338842941b02bcdbbf9f14a0ebcbba7.jpg

Lagoon 25 - LPS/Softy Reef

20191104_175740.thumb.jpg.445a53461e252b0a2411be50477422ce.jpg

• Like 14
6 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

you should get the 30L this xmas to make it a trifecta 😛 

30L is a sweet tank................had one a few years ago and loved it....................

Tanks look good Kimber............:wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Do you still have both tanks near each other in the same room? I bet it's an amazing display! Both systems are looking stellar. 😊

For a long time they were kept in the same room, but not since May. The lagoon is in the office, next to my desk and the 20 gallon is in the living room, next to the TV. 

• Like 2