ReefCleaners.org

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

Don't let the thread title fool you - I didn't get a new tank, just a new thread for my existing tanks!

Moving and summer fun has kept me distracted and uninterested in my tanks over the past few months. I suffered some losses (Casseopeia - shrimp, Sputnik - PSW, and Grumpleupagus - firefish died within a few weeks of each other) and some close calls (almost lost an undata that I got nickel sized and is now palm sized - still doesn't look great) that discouraged me quite a bit. I even went to Aquatic Experience (convention in the 'burbs) last weekend and left after only 20 minutes.

I decided to consolidate my tank threads into one, and structure it more like a weekly journal. Rather than posting every few days with the same "things are good" post, I thought I'd focus on longer weekly posts with more pictures than what I had done previously. So you should look forward to a big kickoff post Friday!

For now I will leave you with a post water change, pissed off and slimy FTS:

30799798681_40099179a1_c.jpg

20171209_162846.jpg

• Like 18

Looking good - I don't particularly remember your prior tank thread(s) but when I see Lagoon I stay and read ;)

Anyways I like the idea of weekly updates and lots of pics. The journal is a good way for the readers to stay up to date but it's also a great way for you to track your progress and keep motivated during the summer months (I do the same thing - I'm always outside doing stuff during summer so the tank gets put on hold).

Those duncans look pretty sweet... I just got my first duncan frag (for some reason they're not very common by me) and I'm anxious for it to grow out.

Good luck!

• Like 1

sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the make and model/size of the tank in the front? Is it a 25 Lagoon?

Yep! 25 Lagoon and an IM10 :)

Those duncans look pretty sweet... I just got my first duncan frag (for some reason they're not very common by me) and I'm anxious for it to grow out.

Good luck!

Thanks, I got that duncan maybe 2-ish years ago as 3-4 small heads. It's one of my favorites!! Recently it became host to my clowns!

• Like 1

I like what I'm seeing so it doesn't look unattended to me. We all go through moments where we feel unfulfilled with our tanks, especially after losses of livestock, or the discovery and ensuing fight against aptasia, or red bugs, or cyano, dino, or just a momentary borerdom from not getting anything new. But usually you bounce back and maybe go in a different direction and feel revived.

• Like 3
In April, just after I moved to my BF's house, I started an IM10 to hold Andromeda the clownfish and a ton of RFA's. They had previously lived in an IM20 for a year. I really liked the IM20, but I just wasn't going to have the room once I moved.

30925003445_941974f06c_c.jpg

The tank sits on an IKEA stand, that I use for office supplies and old files.

22746921878_a11664dbc9_c.jpg

I use the stock pump, an RW-4, New-Therm heater, Smart ATO Micro, inTank media basket, and a Nanobox light for basic equipment. I used new sand (about 5lbs), and kept my old rock arch, which I epoxied together from ReefCleaners rock.

22746917718_f6b9c6b002_c.jpg

Andromeda's roommate is one small porcelain crab, who remains nameless. There are also 18 RFAs, and 4 types of gorgonians. In the back right corner I have a purple plating sponge. There are only a couple of snails in the tank - I desperately need to place an order for more.

22746926228_70c9e2530f_c.jpg

26777061676_682902d163_c.jpg

I really like the simplicity of having such a small tank.. It's just what I needed to house my RFA's. My biggest challenge now is getting my RFA's to spawn and have babies. I'd like to add another small fish, that won't get hurt by the RFAs, and perhaps some anemone or sexy shrimp. I'd also like to ad a few more small gorgonians. I wonder if I can get away with a non-photosynthetic one in this small of a tank?

30925006385_dd42512889_c.jpg

30808816762_3996d5f5e4_c.jpg

• Like 12

In April, just after I moved to my BF's house, I started an IM10 to hold Andromeda the clownfish and a ton of RFA's. They had previously lived in an IM20 for a year. I really liked the IM20, but I just wasn't going to have the room once I moved.

I use the stock pump, an RW-4, New-Therm heater, Smart ATO Micro, inTank media basket, and a Nanobox light for basic equipment. I used new sand (about 5lbs), and kept my old rock arch, which I epoxied together from ReefCleaners rock.

Andromeda's roommate is one small porcelain crab, who remains nameless. There are also 18 RFAs, and 4 types of gorgonians. In the back right corner I have a purple plating sponge. There are only a couple of snails in the tank - I desperately need to place an order for more.

I really like the simplicity of having such a small tank.. It's just what I needed to house my RFA's. My biggest challenge now is getting my RFA's to spawn and have babies. I'd like to add another small fish, that won't get hurt by the RFAs, and perhaps some anemone or sexy shrimp. I'd also like to ad a few more small gorgonians. I wonder if I can get away with a non-photosynthetic one in this small of a tank?

If you are feeding the RFAs maybe you could get away with nonphotosynthetic. Does that little tank have a skimmer or anyway to add one, (I did not see one listed)? A non-photosynthetic gorg would need a small particle food which could be problematic without a skimmer. You don't want to get into an algae nightmare, that would take all the fun out of it.
  • Like 2

Youve been holding out! Nice job......now come to my place and scape my newish 20 ;)

Creating the rock scape is the fun part. Trying to get the corals to stay put and look how you want them is another story...

If you are feeding the RFAs maybe you could get away with nonphotosynthetic. Does that little tank have a skimmer or anyway to add one, (I did not see one listed)? A non-photosynthetic gorg would need a small particle food which could be problematic without a skimmer. You don't want to get into an algae nightmare, that would take all the fun out of it.

I do feed the RFA's, though not as often as I should. Maybe once, twice a week. Plus reef roids or coralific delite once a week. You can see in the picture of the crab, there is some GHA growing on the base of a gorgonian. I wouldn't want to up the feeding in the tank until I get that taken care of - a new order of snails would help with that, I'm sure. No skimmer now, but I'm not opposed to adding one if I need to!

def sexy shrimp, maybe a yellow clown goby?

I worry about a little clown goby with the RFAs. They range in size from a quarter to palm sized when fully extended. The big ones are REALLY sticky!!

• Like 2

Looks great, Kimber!

You know, you really should name the porcelain crab. If you want to match up with Andromeda, maybe Perseus? Perseus the Porcelain Crab has a nice ring to it :lol:

• Like 2

Once or twice a week is perfect for rfas. They do get big, I'm already started to wonder about space crunch in my 40g tank w/ Teenyreef's rfa which is a reminder of how big they'll get and it's still not full size but a generous 5" is getting there. 2" -2.5" and up might spawn so watch your tank here coming up on this big ass full moon on Monday for some hopeful spawning activity!!.

And here's reminder of how big they get...I'll be curious to see what happens if big mama there decides to walk one day.

Takes 2 of the other nems to reach the size of the big one. I have 21 so far, I just don't know if you really want to put more in there. I'm thinking that 10g I have may end up being a holding tank later if I can grow some.

20161109_203509_zps7s8lzll0.jpg

20161107_195204_zpsqx7qx79y.jpg

• Like 5

This little tank looks amazing!!

• Like 2

I love your crab. I'll have to get some. I got one, he was really tiny, thought he molted, it wasn't, he passed so I'm hoping to get some at one point. It stinks I have to order everything, they don't carry crabs around here.

• Like 1