ReefCleaners.org

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

29 minutes ago, markalot said:

That is awesome, and the Duncan is used to it.  My clowns hump the overflow.  :| 

Yep, the duncan doesn't seem to mind at all. It's HUGE. I started with 3 heads and now have well over 20. There's so many I can't properly count them all! 

• Like 2

Aaaand, I forgot to add top off water to my reservoir last night/this morning. I only go trough about 1/2 to 1 gallon of water a day, so we'll see if both ATO's are beeping by the time I get home in... 10 hours... :closedeyes:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well, I did something really stupid and I need help. 

My mom was telling me how she read an article about re-using old aquarium water on plants. So, without thinking, I watered my houseplants with old water about 2... 3 weeks ago. Idiot. I'm sure the article meant FRESHWATER and snot SALTWATER as now all my plants are dying. :slap:

I brought them all outside today to try and "flush" them clean. I have a lot of ivy, that I know I can strip of leaves and just put directly into water. Those should be ok. Same with a prayer plant, some stems of jade, and a few pieces of christmas cactus. I'm pretty sure those can all be saved just by placing in clean fresh water form the tap. Pretty sure...

However, I have 3 african violets, about grapefruit sized, that all lost their roots. It just rotted away. Ugh. They still have about 1-2 inches of stem, where I pulled off the dying leaves. Right now they are sitting in water. These I really need help with. Should I keep everything in water for a few weeks? Should I re-pot if there's no roots?

Any plant people? @vlangel? @gena? IIRC, you both have a lot of plants in your garden... HELP! 

35953390921_9b3532c212_c.jpg

• Like 1

Africa. Violets are picky about ph as it is.  I would just try to neutralize the salt. You already flushed it out so In my limited experience I don't think there's much more you can do.  

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, patback said:

Africa. Violets are picky about ph as it is.  I would just try to neutralize the salt. You already flushed it out so In my limited experience I don't think there's much more you can do.  

I agree.  They will fair the worst, all the others should be fine.  Prayer plants and philodendrons are pretty hardy.  

@patback and @WV Reefer - thanks for the opinions. I'll see how they do in water today. Fingers crossed I can save the african violet. It's one I've had for 8 years - found it left behind at a rental, tiny and almost dead. 3 years ago I re-potted it and split it in 4. My mom has one and it's gotten pretty big. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

@patback and @WV Reefer - thanks for the opinions. I'll see how they do in water today. Fingers crossed I can save the african violet. It's one I've had for 8 years - found it left behind at a rental, tiny and almost dead. 3 years ago I re-potted it and split it in 4. My mom has one and it's gotten pretty big. 

I have a big purple one that I love.  

My house used to be filled with plants but now I have too many dogs and cats f*cking them up. 

You should be good after the flushing..... Just tell them you are sorry. :)  

• Like 1

I am considering moving the large philodendron to a much larger glass vase and adding a betta. We did this when I was a kid, but I don't actually know how nice it is for the betta... 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I am considering moving the large philodendron to a much larger glass vase and adding a betta. We did this when I was a kid, but I don't actually know how nice it is for the betta... 

I've seen it done a lot. I've also seen it faked by having the plant in its own container within the larger beta bowl.  

Thunder Goose

You can also pick healthy leaves from your African violets, place them on damp soil and they will grow new roots. I did this once from a leaf I saw in a hallway of my apartment building. I didn't pick it up till it had been laying there for 2 days!

• Like 3

I ended up having to re-pot almost everything! 

The three philodendrons got thinned out, rinsed off, and put in containers with water. Same for the prayer plant christmas cactus, and jade. I grabbed 3 healthy jade leaves and will let those air dry for a couple days before trying to propagate them in case the bigger ones dies. I cleaned up and potted the 3 violets in some solo cups, so hopefully they live. I also grabbed 6 leaves to try to propagate, again, just in case. 

36054014016_b8e6c31354_c.jpg

• Like 6

What a bummer!  Yeah I have seen African violets sold by the leaf on ebay so I know they can grow back from leaves, I just hope yours do!  Hope everything recovers. :( Re: the betta vase--bettas will fare better in at least 3-5 gallons of water but definitely not less than a gallon; my new betta is in a 1 gallon tank but he's also a baby and I want to make sure he's eating. He'll go in a bigger tank once he grows a bit.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny
22 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Re: the betta vase--bettas will fare better in at least 3-5 gallons of water but definitely not less than a gallon; my new betta is in a 1 gallon tank but he's also a baby and I want to make sure he's eating. He'll go in a bigger tank once he grows a bit.

I raised Bettas when I was a kid and I kept 1-200 in Betta bowls. Breeding took place in 2.5 gallon tanks. I did water changes every 3 days. If you saw what they lived in in the wild, a Betta bowl is the Hilton compared the puddles they're found in.

• Like 4

I'm not really happy with the way the tank looks and I'm thinking a re-haul is in order. 

I think I am going to get rid of the large hammer on the left and then shift the rock structure to the left corner. The duncan needs to be trimmed, like in half because it is just getting too big for it's own good. I may also remove the back wall mag rock, because it is a super pain to try and keep the sand below it clean. The purple monti (that looks red) and poorly colored spongodes would go with it - it's just not coloring up. Luckily the green monti is on it's own rock so I could keep it, It's one of the truly happy items in the tank.  I also would likely remove the zoas towards the right, and the palys hiding behind the duncan. It would give me room to add a rock there for the sun corals and gorginian that are currently hanging out in the sand. 

I think I need to cut my losses with difficult SPS and head towards the softy and non-photo side. 

36057721532_8df766858e_c.jpg

• Like 7

I think it looks pretty too, but I think you have some good ideas! I definitely would trim the duncans back, and you can probably trade/sell the frags and come out ahead. And I agree, that large hammer is starting to outgrow the tank.

• Like 3
TheKleinReef

I've found that big LPS can really destroy the scape in smaller tanks. Even in a tang as big as the 65 gallon I removed 2/3 of both my hammer and my frogspawn but the massive bubble coral makes it look like I didn't do anything. Maybe try pruning back some of the LPS to get the look of the rockwork back. From the front view on my tank, the huge LPS make all the islands blend together and I hate it. -__-

• Like 4

Sorry I didn't see this sooner!  About your plants....salt is really bad for them.  I would have done a big freshwater rinse/soak if I was in that position. I think if they take any in they are done for though.   Are they still alive? 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, gena said:

Sorry I didn't see this sooner!  About your plants....salt is really bad for them.  I would have done a big freshwater rinse/soak if I was in that position. I think if they take any in they are done for though.   Are they still alive? 

The leaves turned moslty brown, not 100% if that's them dying or from being out in the sun for a day... :scarry:

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

The leaves turned moslty brown, not 100% if that's them dying or from being out in the sun for a day... :scarry:

Hah...double whammy.

1 minute ago, gena said:

Hah...double whammy.

I tried to keep them shaded, so they weren't out in the full sun all day or anything. The poor plants have definitely had a rough few weeks though! 

• Like 1

Life has gotten much busier the last few months. 

Nick stopped working like a crazy person, summer has been filled with fests/swimming/bonfires/baseball games/family cookouts, the yard needs to be mowed more and weeds need to be pulled, our roof leaked and that was a fun weekend (...not), two of our friends had babies, and oh yeah... we're down to only 37 days until the wedding. We've been busy, busy, busy - I don't think we've had a free weekend since the beginning of June. 

I'm still lurking around when work is slow. I'll get back into it when things calm down... maybe...

We're going away for a weekend with friends in October, honeymoon in November, possibly Phoenix in December. We also need to get the house ready to go on the market before Christmas so we can proceed with getting the new house built by next summer...

Happy reefing to everyone!! :flower:

• Like 11
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

Nick stopped working like a crazy person, summer has been filled with fests/swimming/bonfires/baseball games/family cookouts, the yard needs to be mowed more and weeds need to be pulled, our roof leaked and that was a fun weekend (...not), two of our friends had babies, and oh yeah... we're down to only 37 days until the wedding. We've been busy, busy, busy - I don't think we've had a free weekend since the beginning of June. 

I'm still lurking around when work is slow. I'll get back into it when things calm down... maybe...

We're going away for a weekend with friends in October, honeymoon in November, possibly Phoenix in December. We also need to get the house ready to go on the market before Christmas so we can proceed with getting the new house built by next summer...

Time till the wedding will go FAST!  It's almost here! :happy:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Sounds like all good things!  

Breath and Enjoy it before it's over. :)  

• Like 1