ReefCleaners.org

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

16 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Did you get rid of him already? My pest tank could use another addition.

Nope, he's still in the tank. Not sure if it's worth shipping all the way to you though. If I can find a new spot, I'll likely set up a prison for him to live out his days. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I don't know how tf I'm going to catch this guy... 

20190924_104824.thumb.jpg.48a18e9e5155a7e0ccd647291b15af8e.jpg

I got mine comfortable taking food from my tongs and then one day I just went for it......snatched his ass right out. I think we were both surprised. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
10 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Bets on how long it will take my husband to notice I put the janky tank back together?

20190924_101421.thumb.jpg.4da15abc205802df071a886139c3650e.jpg

Ha Ha!!! I told you that an empty rank couldn't last long with any of us.  Just do it.  Let him live and rejoin the contest.

• Haha 2

Keeping him or passing him on to someone else is definitely the right thing to do.  But talking about prison tanks makes me think you're going to torture him or just not treat him well, and even for a crab that doesn't make any sense.  

Pass him off if that is the best you are able to provide for him. Unless you are 100 miles from the nearest reefer or reef store you should be able to find a taker.  😁

The truth is crabs are awesome, they just don't happen to be reef trustable:  Super interesting, always on the go looking for food, they look like a friggin alien, they're extremely tough (copper-proof IME).  Definitely deserving of a display/feature tank of its own.  In fact it's almost a shame to have them in a reef tank because you can't see them most of the time there. 😉 

You should be able to catch in with some seafood in an inverted bottle trap.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Keeping him or passing him on to someone else is definitely the right thing to do.  But talking about prison tanks makes me think you're going to torture him or just not treat him well, and even for a crab that doesn't make any sense.  

Pass him off if that is the best you are able to provide for him. Unless you are 100 miles from the nearest reefer or reef store you should be able to find a taker.  😁

The truth is crabs are awesome, they just don't happen to be reef trustable:  Super interesting, always on the go looking for food, they look like a friggin alien, they're extremely tough (copper-proof IME).  Definitely deserving of a display/feature tank of its own.  In fact it's almost a shame to have them in a reef tank because you can't see them most of the time there. 😉 

You should be able to catch in with some seafood in an inverted bottle trap.

Aww... no way... I can't kill him, I can't let my husband kill him... I'm using the term "prison" as a joke. Like many people say they "banish" baddies to their sumps! I just don't have a sump to banish him to. 

I've got an inverted bottle trap in there now, and I've got everything for a pico set up on stand by. I need to place an order with ReefCleaners soon, so I'll probably throw some macro algae on my order and give the little guy his own jungle oasis. 

If it gets to be too much to handle or I don't have the time to keep up with his tank, I'll definitely look to get him a good home!!

• Like 6

The hunt day one: 

My prey eludes me. I successfully caught a couple snails, but my prime target still mocks me from the safety of it's cave. I'll remove my trap for today and try again this evening...

• Haha 7
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

The hunt day one: 

My prey eludes me. I successfully caught a couple snails, but my prime target still mocks me from the safety of it's cave. I'll remove my trap for today and try again this evening...

Oh yay a hunting journal!! Please keep it updated!! 

• Like 4
52 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

The hunt day one: 

How big is the rock? Any way to just pull it out and see what comes out ? 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, spectra said:

How big is the rock? Any way to just pull it out and see what comes out ? 

It's part of an arch structure all stuck together with jb weld. It'll just barely fit in a 5 gallon bucket. It was the only rock I had in my 10 gallon, so it's pretty beefy.

There's also 6 RFAs attached to it, so I'm not sure what I can do with it once it's out of the water... ?

• Like 2

Waaaait... I actually think I broke the two arch halves apart when we moved... so there might only be 2 or 3 RFAs attached towards the top. 

Any tips on extraction without harm? 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Waaaait... I actually think I broke the two arch halves apart when we moved... so there might only be 2 or 3 RFAs attached towards the top. 

Any tips on extraction without harm? 

Flush him out with water

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Flush him out with water

Like, just saltwater? Should I put an inch or so of water in the bottom of a bucket and just go to town blasting him with a baster and hope he lets go and falls out?

Next dumb question... can these guys survive for a bit out of water? If he tries to climb out of one hole and go to another - I don't want to kill him... I kind of really want to try to keep him now... 😕

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Like, just saltwater? Should I put an inch or so of water in the bottom of a bucket and just go to town blasting him with a baster and hope he lets go and falls out?

Next dumb question... can these guys survive for a bit out of water? If he tries to climb out of one hole and go to another - I don't want to kill him... I kind of really want to try to keep him now... 😕

Oh yeah he will be fine for a brief period out of water. I don't think you have to worry too much about that. This little guy is probably tough as hell. 😁

Good on you for trying to keep him! Who knows, you might end up with a super cool crab themed display!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

If mine can go walkabout to the laundry, yours will be ok in the rock. 😄

• Haha 5
13 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

If mine can go walkabout to the laundry, yours will be ok in the rock. 😄

It was trying to become a real man crab.... too bad walkabout was too much for him.

• Like 1

The hunt day two:

Trying to flush the crab out did. not. work. He has the perfect little cavern that in reality isn't so little. I tried different angles for half an hour and finally gave up. I didn't want to hurt him,  so tweezing him out seemed a little too barbaric.

Instead, I used the top of my water bottle trap, some rubble, and some super glue to make a sort of reverse funnel. If he wants to come out to eat, he has to go through the water bottle, which he will hopefully slide down into the bottom section and be caught. In theory... 

I am a little worried I was too rough with the basting, as he seems to have wedged himself deep into the rock really good. Hadn't moved the whole time I was creating my improved trap. 

I'll check it later tonight, and then again in the morning. 

20190925_154431.thumb.jpg.985560348c2f8cf3d785aeee6aa6c456.jpg

• Like 4

👏all👏this👏work👏for👏a👏god👏damn👏crab👏

The hunt day three:

Morning...

Good news: the crab is alive

Bad news: it was able to move one of the rubble blockades 😯

20190926_065238.thumb.jpg.9ee53a4dbdcb2840510651c4060228e4.jpg

To keep it from escaping out the back door, I had to adjust some of the rubble, which meant my bumbling fingers bumped the water bottle top loose.

Of course, I'm completely out of super glue. 😑

Luckily, I was able to fashion a new, hopefully improved, trap with a small section of pvc and a glass jar. 

20190926_070035.thumb.jpg.05a034d7c9c6d65edccdf76d012640e9.jpg

I really hope this works...

2015542314_giphy(5).gif.a3a16f7ea5bc225f8a960f142be71617.gif

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

The hunt day four:

The prey continues to stay far away from my trap. I haven't fed the tank since Wednesday, in hopes I can lure this sucker out with a nice big meal tomorrow. 😠

• Like 2
  • Haha 1